IGNORED

ghost n zombies

chart45

i have this cart for 2 years and always look it's a fake one game play perfect but the box is not like the other homebrew game i have is there a way to tell if its a copy

by curiosity, where did you get that cart? How much you paid for it?

Could you take a picture of the start screen?

I do wonder if I've missed an episode here... How stupid someone can be to use a convincing artwork BUT not take care of using also the same font for the name of the game at the top of the box?

Simply because he took the box template from Colecoboxart and he did not notice that the box has been volontary made different to detect easly this kind of bootleg.

I do wonder if I've missed an episode here... How stupid someone can be to use a convincing artwork BUT not take care of using also the same font for the name of the game at the top of the box?

The fake box was made by me and put on my site. It was deliberatly done different from the original. Not only the title is different...

• Like 1

Very fun.... Yeah.... VERY VERY FUN! :x

you buy it from who exactly!?

You can send me a PM to let me know

I want to know who's the bitch

i bought it on ebay if theres a way to see back the thing i buy 2 years ago tell me i 'll check and i'll be happy to give you the name of the seller

I'll cast my vote for Fernando Marin...IIRC, he was dumping tons of colecovision and A8 home-brews...then selling the original carts back on eBay for a boat load of money. This might be one of his knock-offs.

That's one of the pirates, but the pirated copy that chart45 bought a couple years ago with Crapahute's box design was made by someone else IIRC... I just can't remember the ebay seller's name now seeing as it's been so long.

It would be also may be interresting to see how is the PCB. May be some of you can identify the source from that.

In a sens , It is funny to see "bootleg" of my game...an Homebrew ... my very first program on colecovision...my "Hello word"... lol... this world is crazy! :rolling:

Welcome to the club of homebrewers! Various things do occur with our games after it's published!

There might be many fake copies of my games out there, I just don't know it, but what I do know is that when we publish a ColecoVision homebrew game we just lose control over it, more so if it's a port because of copyrights law.

Back in 2001, a guy made his custom DACMAN cartridge by replacing the chips into a 24KB cart with my ROM file, and then he asked me if it was ok to do so. In that case, I appreciated to know it, and honnestly for personal usage it's ok, I really like the idea that my games are being played and enjoyed. In the other hand, I saw my games being sold at outrageous prices on eBay while copies were still on production and some people screamed at me that it's too expensive... like I've control on the price of my games being sold on eBay by resellers. More my name was associated with new ColecoVision games, more I felt that some malicious guys were watching forums just to jump on occasions to make money and pretend that my games were "EXTREMELY RARE PROTOTYPE".

This phenoma of eBay auctions by resellers (of fake or real copies) is poisoning the homebrew ColecoVision scene because it profits only a few (if not just one) by exploiting ColecoVision homebrewers and fans. My answer for awhile was to raise up the price of my games, going from $20 for a complete in box (DacMan in 2000) to a $30-$40 for a lose cartridge (GhostBlaster in 2009)... in the vague hope that it will discourage resellers but really they know how to exploit the homebrew scene and make profit.

Not publishing ROM files became the approach used by many CV homebrewers to counter this phenomena, but ROM dumping isn't that difficult to accomplish and at the end... it's just a question of time.

Edited by newcoleco
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...