IGNORED

Converting a text file with BASIC code into a TIFILE

computerlife22

Is there any possible way to convert a standard windows text file (say test.txt) into a TIFILE, so that I can convert it to a wav and load it on an actual TI99/4A? The test file would consist of BASIC code, such as:

100 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"

110 PRINT "THIS IS A TEST."

Now of course, with code that short, it would be easier to just retype. But I have other code that is hundreds of lines long. Would this be possible by any means? I have tried looking for programs with no luck.

Edited by computerlife22

Use Classic 99, paste the text into the program and save it to like DSK1. Grab the file that is created there using CS1er and save as a WAV. That is the short way. A longer tutorial would be available if you need.

I am finding that it is not always easy to get a device to play a wav into a real TI. Most laptops attenuate the headphone jack to a level that the TI cannot "hear," as do most phones. (I caught my laptop doing it when I plug in the audio cable as the STAC97 CODEC actually cuts the volume in half about a half-second before it routes the audio out the port.) I got my phone to work using a patch cable and an output device it recognizes as a line-out, but even that I have found is somewhat flakey, and I found some strange electrical characteristics present in different cables.

Anywho, it can be done as I demonstrated in the "sandbox" thread started by senior_falcon.

What I've done is similar to what CS1 suggested - but instead of loading it with a wav file, I send the file over RS232 - is that an option for you at all?

Edit: Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums! (I noticed it looks like you signed up a while ago, but I see this is your first post).

Edited by RobertLM78

Is there any possible way to convert a standard windows text file (say test.txt) into a TIFILE, so that I can convert it to a wav and load it on an actual TI99/4A? The test file would consist of BASIC code, such as:

100 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"

110 PRINT "THIS IS A TEST."

Now of course, with code that short, it would be easier to just retype. But I have other code that is hundreds of lines long. Would this be possible by any means? I have tried looking for programs with no luck.

This will be supported by my TIImageTool in one of the next releases, maybe some time next year. :) (Sorry, cannot give you an earlier delivery date.)

I am finding that it is not always easy to get a device to play a wav into a real TI. Most laptops attenuate the headphone jack to a level that the TI cannot "hear," as do most phones. (I caught my laptop doing it when I plug in the audio cable as the STAC97 CODEC actually cuts the volume in half about a half-second before it routes the audio out the port.) I got my phone to work using a patch cable and an output device it recognizes as a line-out, but even that I have found is somewhat flakey, and I found some strange electrical characteristics present in different cables.

Actually, I've already been able to do that with my laptop. It seems to work if you change the output from stereo to mono, and use VLC to increase the volume 127%. I've had to type my programs within classic99, but thanks for that advice!

What I've done is similar to what CS1 suggested - but instead of loading it with a wav file, I send the file over RS232 - is that an option for you at all?

I am actually unfamiliar with the process of using RS232. I've heard you need software in addition to TI EXTENDED BASIC, which is all I have. It would be sweet if you could redirect me to a tutorial for that!

To all who were wondering, I never knew you could simply paste code into classic99. I suppose I will be using that method to convert my TI99/4A text code into TIFILES!

Edited by computerlife22

If you have mess installed, you can use that and your real TI in Basic or XB and send a program over RS232.

On the receiving side, type:

OLD "RS232"

and on the sending side:

SAVE "RS232"

The catch is you will need TI Image Tool running, with the serial bridge.

About loading text, Classic99 isn't the only way. There's a utility called TEXTLOAD, which will import a DIS/VAR 80 into BASIC as a program.

About TI Image tool (including download link):

http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/TIImageTool

You may also find TI99DIR to be helpful as well:

http://www.99er.net/download2/index.php?act=view&id=219

Attached is a .dsk of TEXTLOAD.

TEXTLOAD.zip

Edited by RobertLM78

Actually, I've already been able to do that with my laptop. It seems to work if you change the output from stereo to mono, and use VLC to increase the volume 127%. I've had to type my programs within classic99, but thanks for that advice!

I had similar success. I did find that on my D430 I also had to use the equalizer to assist.

I use both PC99 and MESS for the disks that I create for the book archive.

The source is copied from the book to Notepad++ and some corrections are done, since the OCR'ed code isn't 100% accurate.

The text is then copied to a disk opened in TI Imagetool as a DV80 file using the "Import from Text Editor" option.

I have the TEXTLOAD disk in DSK1 because it will autoload. The disk containing the source is placed in DSK2. I then use TEXTLOAD to read the source and covert it to BASIC or Extended BASIC.

A few fixes, etc. and Bob's your uncle.

Ernie