IGNORED

Commando game repro for A7800

santosp

The 7800 version of Commando is MUCH better than the NES version. The NES version is ridiculously glitchy.

Agreed :)

It only begs the question...What if more investing and licenses went in the direction of the 7800? How many other Capcom games of that same type/era could have been better on the 7800? Ghosts'n Goblins, Trojan, 1942, Section Z, etc.

Anyhow, at least we have Commando...Enjoy! I recommend the Advance setting for a more Arcade-ish feel or Expert if you really want to go crazy.

Standard does offer a challenge, but Novice is way too easy. Another plus to the 7800 version - multiple difficulty/challenge options. ;)

• Like 2

7800, on 29 Mar 2014 - 1:50 PM, said:
"The 7800 version of Commando is MUCH better than the NES version. The NES version is ridiculously glitchy."

I'm a big fan of the NES and I couldn't agree more. The NES version of Commando is just a few degrees above unplayable, playing more like a shelved demo than a finished product worthy of the *cough* venerable Nintendo seal of approval. Both the 7800 and C64 version blow it out of the 8-bit water. I'd be curious if some badass NES programmer could make a worthy version of Commando on the NES. Honestly, I don't understand if it was all of the technical limitations of the NES that held back the Capcom arcade port or just crap programming or a combination of the two. It is a little sad, though, that Capcom's only home port of their arcade game was so lackluster. Of course the brilliance of Sculptured Software and Elite's versions more than make up for this.

Edited by treismac

Most early Capcom NES games seem to play like unfinished demos. LOL! The first game that I can think of that played well was Mega Man (Rockman)... and over the years, top shelf games got much better. Games like Strider and Duck Tales got the short end of the stick it seems. With that said, I don't think it's the limitations of the system but more the programmers rushing the games or being lazy, etc.

I think a Commando Homebrew for NES could be AMAZING if done right... and put the original NES game to shame.

Even some early Sunsoft games were generally unimpressive. Years later games like Blaster Master and Batman showed the capabilities of the NES.