IGNORED

Need Some XEX or ATR Images For These Games

Tempest

I'm really close to getting all my cartridges working with the SIDE loader on my Incognito board. However there are a few games that I can't find working XEX or ATRs for. Does anyone have working copies of these games?

Ace of Aces

Bounty Bob Strikes Back – The few ATRs or XEX files I've got working have Bob always moving left for some reason. It's not my joystick, but something wrong with the crack.

Battlezone (Atari 5200 version)

Midnight Magic (Cartridge version)

Fight Night

Flight Simulator II (cartridge version)

Frogger (PB version) - I found one COM file that works, but the music is wonky.

GATO - The 128K file version that's floating around crashes after the game starts

Kangaroo - APX version or prototype

Mean 18 - The version on Fandal's site doesn't seem to work with SIDE (odd because all the rest did)

Pac-Mac Prototype (McDonalds game)

Pole Position - I found one version that seemed to work but it crashed shortly after

RS Baseball (5200)

Summer Games

I'm really close to getting all my cartridges working with the SIDE loader on my Incognito board. However there are a few games that I can't find working XEX or ATRs for. Does anyone have working copies of these games?

Ace of Aces

Bounty Bob Strikes Back – The few ATRs or XEX files I've got working have Bob always moving left for some reason. It's not my joystick, but something wrong with the crack.

Battlezone (Atari 5200 version)

Midnight Magic (Cartridge version)

Fight Night

Flight Simulator II (cartridge version)

Frogger (PB version) - I found one COM file that works, but the music is wonky.

GATO - The 128K file version that's floating around crashes after the game starts

Kangaroo - APX version or prototype

Mean 18 - The version on Fandal's site doesn't seem to work with SIDE (odd because all the rest did)

Pac-Man (McDonalds game)

Pole Position - I found one version that seemed to work but it crashed shortly after

RS Baseball (5200)

Summer Games

I don't know what Kangaroo APX or prototype is. I guess you already have it, but here's Kangaroo versions 1 to 4.

Kangaroo.zip

I'll try that tonight. APX or Prototype refers to the fact that Kangaroo was originally a 5200 game that was only released on the 8-bit through the Atari Program Exchange (APX). I've heard rumors that there's an honest to god prototype of it that was a direct port of the 5200 version (the APX version tweaked some things like the color of the strawberries), but I don't know if that's true or not.

I always wondered if the cartridge versions of the disk games are the same just without the loading times, or have some other tweaks? I think I read that Summer Games has some stuff taken out, but I've never really looked into it. I suppose I don't really need the cartridge versions of those games as long as I have the disk images.

BTW is there a .xex file for Xenophobe floating around or do I need to still hang onto my cartridge?

I always wondered if the cartridge versions of the disk games are the same just without the loading times, or have some other tweaks? I think I read that Summer Games has some stuff taken out, but I've never really looked into it. I suppose I don't really need the cartridge versions of those games as long as I have the disk images.

BTW is there a .xex file for Xenophobe floating around or do I need to still hang onto my cartridge?

In the cartridge version of Summer Games they've changed the loading screen and option number four on the main menu from "See World Records" to "Number of Joysticks". There may be other changes too, I'm not sure, but I think that's it. The world record change seems obvious, since there was no disk to save the entries to anymore. There also maybe similar changes on the other disk -> cart conversions. I think Atari just wanted to get their name up on the title screen for Summer Games, but I prefer the original in terms of looks, even though it wasn't anything special compared to the Atari one.

I doubt Xenophobe will soon have an XEX version. Fandal is the guy who's done the bulk of cart -> XEX conversions, and he probably has some agreement with Lance at V61 not to do one in the near future. It's all about money there.

Edited by MrFish

Here is the back story on Xenophobe(sorry Fandel if you didnt want this out) - when the prototype was being sold a # of us wanted to pool our $$ together to make sure it didnt get into a collector's hands who would keep it out of sight.

Fandel stepped up and purchased the cart with his own funds and asked a # of us not to bid it up against him.

After he won the cart he made a deal with Video61 to sell the carts whereby he gets a very small cut which will never repay the over $1000 he paid to ensure the commuity could enjoy it.

So if you want to play this fun edition its really worth the effort to purchase a cart to support a member who paid out of pocket to ensure we can all enjoy it!

After he won the cart he made a deal with Video61 to sell the carts whereby he gets a very small cut which will never repay the over $1000 he paid to ensure the commuity could enjoy it.

IIRC he actually paid closer to $2,000. According to this post, he sold it to Lance. That's why I said he probably made some deal that he wouldn't do an XEX in the near future. So Lance is the one in the position of recouping his money at this point, not Fandal.

Edited by MrFish

So if you want to play this fun edition its really worth the effort to purchase a cart to support a member who paid out of pocket to ensure we can all enjoy it!

Done that. I just wanted to see if I could get it on my Incognito as well. No big deal honestly since I also have the cartridge.