IGNORED

Atari ST core for MCC-216?

amiman99

I'm getting soon the MCC-216 FPGA system which runs Amiga, C64, Apple II, Atari 2600, and Spectrum 48k. http://mcc-home.com/index.html

I wondered if anyone knows if someone is working on the Atari ST core for that box???

I know that ST runs on MiST http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96 and wanted to know if is possibe to run its core on the MCC-216.

Edited by amiman99

I've had the S-VIDEO model for several years. It works, but it's quite difficult to set up and get going. Right now, I think I only have the Atari 2600 and C-64 cores on there. I really need to update my SD card image! If you know of a place that has a fully preconfigured card image, let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I my MCC-216 and had some time to play with it.

The Amiga core it's working nice when you find game that works with it, so it's hit or miss. Some one made a compatibility list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArP1zOoNTxxGdDhQbzFmUWxhWTZ4ZmtTcndIVV9XVGc#gid=2

Anyway, back to the Atari ST. As of right now there is no Atari St core and I got a feeling that it probably never be made, BUT I was able to trick the MCC to boot into EmuTOS. There is a special version of EmuTOS that works on Amiga using BlitzKick.

I have renamed the emutos rom image to KICK13.ROM and I was able to boot to EmuTOS desktop!

The current version does not support floppy disk and only in Hi RES mode (B&W).

At least there is a start.

post-24138-0-51747300-1386481052_thumb.jpg

Cool beans. I've been reading up on the various FPGA projects out there trying to decide if any holiday money might be spent on one. It's tough deciding.

I'm leaning towards Mist, because my priorities are ST compatibility first, Amiga second, then whatever else happens along. The FPGA Arcade site mentions ST compatibility with Falcon development ongoing, but what's actually currently available to users and the level of compatibility is missing from any info I've come across.

I would not recommend MCC-216 for Amiga games, unless they fix the CORE. It kinda looks like there is an ADF loader problem, the games that don't work usually stop or get stuck at loading.

I tried to load OctaMED music program that worked on my PSP emulator (the ADf files were made by me, so I know they work), and it loaded to Workbench, but then it got stuck loading the actual program.

The C64 emulation works fine, but I had some weird keyboard problem, like wrong characters were typed

The Atari ST with EmuTOS was an experiment, no floppy support on EmuTOS, no HD support on MCC, so kinda useless, but it works.

My theory proves that Atari ST may work on it.

• 4 months later...

I mostly got it for C64, Amiga and Spectrum. The spectrum core works pretty good, and because I never has Sinclair Spectrum before, especially that works on NTSC, I think that's a good buy.

The Atari 2600 is not that good, sound is off, and some games I tried did not work.

If they made it open source, I think it can be fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Atari 2600 on ebay = 5 bucks

C64 on ebay = 10 bucks

Atari ST on ebay = 10 bucks

Amiga 500 on ebay = 20 bucks

Spectrum on ebay = 10 bucks

So for 55 quid you get the whole damned lot....until FPGA boards are made by people with more than 50 pence in their pocket and can mass produce them to cost LESS than all the machines bought together they are a waste of time 100 percent IMO :) The C64DTV is the price point these people should be aiming for...AND 90+ percent compatibility.

I bet the C64 emulation on that thing is horrible, the C64 is a more complex machine than any other to get 100% right in just the sound dept let alone everything else on the motherboard AND 100% disk image compatible for protection/fast load routines left untouched by most cracks.

As an example of what a real business can do with the idea look at the AT GAMES portable megadrive console...it's like a PSP and the emulation is flawless and it even comes with an SD slot to load standard Megadrive BIN images you can find in 2 seconds on google...and this baby with a colour screen built in costs 75% LESS than all these FPGA 'solutions' ;)

I'd like to see the links for those great prices on eBay.

The thing about the MCC is not that C64 emulation is horrible. All the supported platforms can be improved. The problem is playing the endless waiting game in hopes the emulation improves.

My advice to any potential buyer is to wait for the stated features to reach your immediate expectations and read any and all reviews.

Yeah, your pricing is way off. In any case, of course it's relatively easy for us to get these systems, get them accessorized/modded just the way we like, etc., but there is an allure to having all-in-one, modern units with nifty extra features. I know I have nearly every computer, console, and handheld imaginable, but it's kind of pain pulling them out and setting them up each time. The MCC-216 is deeply flawed, though it's an honest attempt at making a good consolidated device. I wish I could use mine more.

• Like 2

For those who poo poo all over the emulation of FPGA or software based emulations, I can only point out, that time and engineering will only make it better, and to the point where it will be acceptable for most people.

Anyone who thinks this is not possible, is delusional. State machines are state machines fellas.

-Thom

• 1 month later...

I just got Atari 800 core running on the MCC-216, it runs great and I will say it's PERFECT! I think it runs better then 2600 and C64 cores.

So far I tried over 20 games and all are loading and are loading fast.

I wonder if the ST core is coming???

Yeah. See, I totally get the "stand alone box" thing. And from what I hear, Minimig is full featured and compatible enough to really maintain the "suspension of disbelief". On the Atari side, the Suska appears to offer the same thing. But man, those things are expensive! At those price points, the real thing is maybe worth the trouble. Ditto for the administrative burden of software emulation. For me, given all of the factors for consideration, software emulation still wins. I think sometimes about a dedicated ArOS or AtherOS machine. I ran MorphOS on a Mac-Mini G4 for a bit. I don't know. UAE via AmiKit or ClassicWB for desktop and UAE via Amiga Forever for gaming really are hard to beat.

• Like 1

@amiman99 I agree the A8 core is by far the best core on the MCC-216. Take a look at my sig for the core compatibility list.

Cool, looks like you're way ahead of me in testing.

I'm using AA's Starwindz "Atari800 Best game pack" to get the games http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226801-atari-800-best-game-pack-releases/ , so many games to test.

Now, if someone could port Atari ST to the MCC, I would be happy, maybe using MiST code?

Every time I think about getting into FPGA emulation, I immediately jump to, "Why do it when software emulators are already so good?" Seems pointless to me. Anyone have a different view?

Start a demo/game with fast horizontal scrolling on an emulator and on a fpga board and compare yourself. You'll be surprised ...

Atari 2600 on ebay = 5 bucks

C64 on ebay = 10 bucks

Atari ST on ebay = 10 bucks

Amiga 500 on ebay = 20 bucks

Spectrum on ebay = 10 bucks

So for 55 quid you get the whole damned lot....

You forgot the cpu speeder and fast ram cards you want for most of them. You need kickstart/tos switcher cards, several floppy disk drives for all of them, flicker fixer and VGA converters for all of them. For most also at least two hard disks, USB interfaces etc etc. You need a flash cart for the comnsoles. And you need seperate NTSC and PAL versions of most devices. Only then you have the equivalent of the hardware a FPGA board brings ...

Plus you just get a new device for free every now and then.

Edited by harbaum
  • Like 1

I pe

Why not? Go for it! All MIST incl. the Atari ST cores are open source and can be ported. Unlike many of the MCC216 cores which are kept closed.

Closed system does keep the platform lagging behind, it would be nice if they opened the platform.

I personally can't do porting, and beyond my ability.

The AA user Foft was able to port his atari 800 port to MCC-216 and it looks like MCC people were helping with him to get it done. Here is a quote:

"The MCC216 team worked with me to help me port it to their platform. They provided some of the ip included, such as SDRAM controller, svideo encoder, audio dac."

Their system is very affordable and working, and looks like are willing to help.