IGNORED

Announcing: Free Play Florida!

prOk

Dang man, sorry I missed you! Place was crowded, which is a good thing! Probably the highlight was meeting Bob and Balloonfighter and Billy Mitchell and Walter Day!

Next year we might want to get our own side-room for AtariAge folks to play console games! I walked around with my copy of BattleSphere hoping someone would have a Jag set up! ;-)

Anyway, took a lot of footage... I'll try to whip up a video here soon.

Back from Free Play Florida! I am happy to have met Bob DeCrescenzo, Gregory DG, and NightSprinter, as well as Billy Mitchell and Jerry Buckner. I thought I saw TrekMD, but never got to say "hi".

I would once more like to thank Bob for giving me copies of K.C. Munchkin and Armor Attack II. I'm playing them right now on my 7800 and am having a lot of fun.

Next year we might want to get our own side-room for AtariAge folks to play console games! I walked around with my copy of BattleSphere hoping someone would have a Jag set up! ;-)

I like that idea. You should probably tell it to prOk and see what he thinks of it.

Well, I'm done with the event for the day. It was quite nice and I got to meet Bob (thanks for the games, Bob!) and some video game legends like Todd Rogers, Walter Day, and Billy Mitchell. It was also great to meet Jerry Buckner and Mike Stewart, whom I got to sign my Pac-Man Fever CD. :)

Balloon, you should have said hi! Maybe next time. :)

• Like 1

Thanks to all that came to the show, I was running around like a crazy person and only met a few of you. It was very busy, but I hope you all had fun. We plan to add a significant classic console portion next year, so I'd love to hear the AtariAge community's ideas. You can't begin planning too soon!

I wish I'd known someone was bringing homebrews, I love to collect those.

Thanks to all that came to the show, I was running around like a crazy person and only met a few of you. It was very busy, but I hope you all had fun. We plan to add a significant classic console portion next year, so I'd love to hear the AtariAge community's ideas. You can't begin planning too soon!

I wish I'd known someone was bringing homebrews, I love to collect those.

I was unable to make it this year, I had to work all weekend.

I will definitely plan on going next year. If you get an Atari 2600 area then I will participate in that with my Invader X and Alien Menace competition cartridges. As well as a new game or two and a collection of my older releases.

• 2 weeks later...

If the console room is a go, I might be willing to loan a console for the event. Of course, the room should be monitored so that nobody steals or damages anything, and flashcarts/multicarts should be used when possible to reduce wear on the consoles.

Maybe Bob and other Florida-based homebrewers can show off their games to the 2015 audience if they are willing to. AtariAge has been represented at other retro gaming events, so I say expand that representation to Free Play Florida!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

HI All,

Just thought i'd update.. the classic console room is ON for FPF2 in 2015!

We really want the classic console portion to be member/collector driven so if anyone out there wants to jump in and help us make this an awesome event for the consoles please send me a message. I believe we can have a healthy amount of space and would absolutely welcome anything and everything to do with the best home gaming of all time. We're working hard to get some classic game developers to talk as well but who knows where we'll land there. I'm a giant 2600/atari 8 bit fan so i can't wait for this part of things to materialize.

Thanks gang!

/b

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I will be going to Free Play Florida 2015. I plan to have a high score contest and some other home brew games available. I hope to finally meet a few people I have seen on the forums for years. Just waiting on the details as to the when and where.

The contest cartridge will be ALIEN MENACE.

http://youtu.be/gm3L153nL24?list=UUWGMfmmfXDyeLMlKCZ4V51g

Edited by neotokeo2001
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a few updates, we are still 5 months away but we have announced a FULL console dedicated area with tons of support from people all over the state and a tournament with prizes for at least one console from every generation leading up to a high energy Super Smash Bros' tourney!

We also announced that film director Greydon Clark will be present to screen his movie from the 80's named 'Joysticks'. Staying on the topic of films to watch, Pinball Donut Girl will be screened for you pinball fans and lastly we will soon announce a theatrical screening of a major motion picture in the world of geekdom that just turned 35!

Shaping up to be a fun event!

If I'm able to go, and noone has offered yet, I have some Commodore 1084 monitors I'd be willing to loan for the console room (and even some RGB cables).

The more the merrier. The console room just like the rest of the show is community driven, whether you can help with a single power strip or an entire museum of games it's all equally appreciated!

The big movie announcement is coming soon, but the MCP is keeping it under wraps a little longer :)

Wonderful. I know that with the smaller CRTs, it makes for a less-painful setup (I should know, I run a video game room at a convention myself.. and we just had to cease usage of any CRT beyond 19" in size for the retro consoles). Also, how would volunteer equipment loaning be handled in terms of checking gear in and such?

Wonderful. I know that with the smaller CRTs, it makes for a less-painful setup (I should know, I run a video game room at a convention myself.. and we just had to cease usage of any CRT beyond 19" in size for the retro consoles). Also, how would volunteer equipment loaning be handled in terms of checking gear in and such?

Yea, CRT size depends greatly on the game/console as to what fits. Volunteer equipment is handled via a website that we are in the process of updating now, rolling out soon. You basically enter what it is that you are loaning/volunteering ahead of time. then when you arrive at the show we use the same website to mark what is actually there so we can track who brought what and know where it went. Show volunteers will be there to check things in and direct traffic for setup. Hope that answers the questions!

And while i'm still awake :) I can publicly announce all of our first day of the show 'friday night at the movies' event that we do annually!

This years film lineup is:

1. Pinball Donut Girl/Wade Krause Pinball Artist, an awesome pinball documentary and short film.

2. TRON (yes, that one!) The original classic on the big screen in glorious HD. Due to licensing rules, this is a hard ticketed and limited seating screening so please contact us for FREE tickets!

3. Joysticks, the 80's cult classic rounds out the late night fare. The original director of Joysticks, Greydon Clark will be in attendance and doing a Q&A before the film is screened!

going to be a lot of fun, the specialty tron themed popcorns are going to be interesting :)

Thanks for the info, pr0k. Running a video game room at a con myself, it's not always the easiest thing to do when dealing with personal gear provided or stuff loaned by others. Also, apparently there's been possible talk on another forum I frequent about doing a SHMUP meet there this year. Just hoping any kids playing Raiden this time will let others have a turn. That was not a fun incident..

• 4 weeks later...

For the console enthusiasts like myself, we have a pretty cool room planned that is coming together nicely. There will be contests in almost all major platforms from the 70's to today and a really great Smash tourney and it will all be streamed live!

We'll also have a playable museum of consoles, every system we can get our hands on! Big screen projection, cool 80's lighting and even music in there! We are on the lookout for a local that has a Neo Geo console system they would be willing to bring to the event.

So we can have more titles and more choices to play, we'll have a game exchange booth where you can let us know what game you want on what system and if we have it we'll swap it with the one currently playing. That gives us the ability to bring more things to play without fear of games disappearing or being damaged.

The first console contests i'll announce will be Kaboom in a best score of the day event and RC Pro Am run bracket style so brush up on those two! Come be a part of the thriving Florida gaming community!

/brian

• 2 weeks later...