IGNORED

OpenEmu 1.0 for OS X

SpiceWare

Do you know if they expose Stella's internal configuration? I couldn't figure out how to turn on phosphor mode for Stay Frosty 2.

I've been looking for it, but I don't think that they added it yet. I've only found a way to switch between NTSC and PAL modes by using Display Mode in the Special Keys section of the controls preferences.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the Overscan issue. I went ahead and tweaked it some more and am happy with it now.

Before Image:
attachicon.gifIMG_3525.JPG

After Image, you can see more detail in the menu bar:
attachicon.gifIMG_3730.JPG

Except for Retro TV, all the channels* I'd previously noticed the weird garbage on now look just fine. The black & white dashes in the upper-left is what shows up on Retro TV's channel.
post-3056-0-86937800-1394740388_thumb.jpg

* of those I watch. My DVR software lets me filter out the channels I'm not interested in, which is a handy feature since I get over 100 OTA channels.

No, you don't have to compile it. That was only true for the pre 1.0 release.

The interface is still quite buggy at the moment. It crashes fairly often when adding roms and can randomly stop downloading covers. I plan to submit multiple bug reports and hope other people do as well, as this has the potential of being a really great app.

So if the source code is available, does that mean it can be built on Linux boxes as well? Or has someone already built deb packages for it?

So if the source code is available, does that mean it can be built on Linux boxes as well? Or has someone already built deb packages for it?

Oh, I guess that's on the way...

OpenEmulator

This is OpenEmulator, a cross-platform emulator of many legacy computer systems.

OpenEmulator is currently only fully supported on Mac OS X, with support for Linux and Windows operating systems being developed. For compilation and installation instructions, refer to INSTALL.md.

Don't confuse available source code with an application being cross platform compatible. This is very much a OS X application. There would be a decent amount of work to compile this on other platforms.

LOL.

#34 wasn't posted yet when I started my reply. Based on what I found in the readme, I'd replied "no" due to the use of Mac only features like Core Animation, Quartz, etc.

Hmm... Looks like I need to revoke that Emily Litella - what almightytodd posted is not for OpenEmu. It's for OpenEmulator, a classic computer emulation. It looks like it only emulates Apple I and Apple II so far. Found some screenshots from 2011. That page links to http://openemulator.org, which is apparently gone.

There's only 1 member in the OpenEmulator project and there hasn't been much activity.

In contrast, OpenEmu has 11 members with quite a bit more going on.

Edited by SpiceWare

• 1 month later...

7800 support in the 1.0.2-experimental build :D

Awesome that it's got 7800 support! But I played around with OpenEmu just this week, and I'm having problems getting some of the controls to work. Specifically, reset, select, etc., which you need to have working in order to really use the 7800. I figure that's due to it being an experimental build, but I thought I would check to see if I might be overlooking something. Is there a way to manually edit configurations to change the things that don't necessarily show up in the application's built-in controller config tool?

Awesome that it's got 7800 support! But I played around with OpenEmu just this week, and I'm having problems getting some of the controls to work. Specifically, reset, select, etc., which you need to have working in order to really use the 7800. I figure that's due to it being an experimental build, but I thought I would check to see if I might be overlooking something. Is there a way to manually edit configurations to change the things that don't necessarily show up in the application's built-in controller config tool?

I've only tried it with a couple games, Bentley and KC. For both I started them by hitting the fire button so didn't realize there was a problem..

Took a quick look and 7800 reset is mapped wrong for the PS3 controller. For the 2600 it's mapped to Start, for 7800 it's mapped to "Home" which doesn't exist on a PS3 controller. I tried to remap the button, and while I could select the value it wouldn't let me change it. I quit OpenEmu, tried again and it let me change it. Didn't seem to work, though it's possible those two games don't use RESET. I don't have any other games installed to try, nor time at the moment to download ROMs and install them. Will try to remember to check later tonight or over the weekend.

Edited by SpiceWare

• 1 month later...

I just got around to trying this tonight. Looks slick but I can't seem to get 7800 emulation working. I'm testing the 1.0.3 experimentals version, obviously. It downloaded the ProSystem core, imported my 7800 ROMs, but I get no response when I try to play one. The Stella core seems to be working, however. I'm running under the developer preview of Yosemite, by the way. Oddly enough, the same ROMs play just fine in an outdated version of MacMESS from a couple years ago.

You may also need the BIOS ROM for the 7800. The one from MacMESS should work.

You know, I thought of that tonight but it didn't work. I tried sticking that file into the directory structure in a couple different places. Finally, in desperation, I waded into the GitHub site and found the way to enter the "secret" menu (enter the "Konami Code" on the Preferences screen, lol!). From there, I changed the "Run game using:" option from XPC to "Background thread." The technicalities of OS X thread messaging are quite beyond me, but THAT did the trick.

Just tried this yesterday and it is awesome! Finally one emulator where I can play Sega Genesis / SuperNintendo and Turbo Graphx in one spot. Got rid of a couple of emulators that I had before and cleared up some space on my hard drive. It also allows me to use the Sony PS3 Dual shock 4 controller from a drop down list so that I can play these games on a real controller and not on a keyboard. If they were to add Neo Geo games (I think Neo Geo CD is not the same?), I would be set.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got around to trying this tonight. Looks slick but I can't seem to get 7800 emulation working. I'm testing the 1.0.3 experimentals version, obviously. It downloaded the ProSystem core, imported my 7800 ROMs, but I get no response when I try to play one. The Stella core seems to be working, however. I'm running under the developer preview of Yosemite, by the way. Oddly enough, the same ROMs play just fine in an outdated version of MacMESS from a couple years ago.

My port of the ProSystem emulator had issues that I've just recently fixed, a few of them being where games wouldn't load in some circumstances. It's fixed in source now and I'll push an update soon. I'm also working on updating the ProSystem core with the latest changes from 1.3e and razored's Wii7800 fork. I noticed that some time ago GroovyBee was working on updating ProSystem as well (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/160363-prosystem-developer-requests/) but I haven't found a source code release. Anyone know about this?

By the way, make sure you're on the latest developer preview of 10.10 as its fixed some UI problems in the app. There are a few other things broken still in Yosemite that will be patched in our next release.

From there, I changed the "Run game using:" option from XPC to "Background thread."

Please don't run your games in a background thread! We use that method only for debugging purposes and it **will** break functions of some of the other emulator cores. In Terminal.app run the following to reset back to XPC:

defaults write org.openemu.OpenEmu OEGameCoreManagerModePreference OEXPCGameCoreManager

I will have an update out soon for ProSystem.

Edited by clobber