IGNORED

Stay Frosty 2 Demo Released!

Albert

Everybody's favorite fabled frosty firefighter is back! But so are those pesky fireballs, and they're hotter than ever! This year they've kidnapped Santa and some of his helpers, so it's up to you to put out the fireballs and rescue your friends from their fiery fate.

Your first frosty adventure was just a warm-up - now there are all new levels to conquer and challenges to face! Fortunately, you've found some new magic in that old silk hat of yours. Can you stay frostier, fight your way to the fireballs' frigid fortress, and freeze those fiendish flames?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdmpICUjYE

AtariAge and the team behind the upcoming Atari 2600 homebrew Stay Frosty 2, lead by author Darrell Spice, Jr., have released a playable demo of this original, holiday-themed game! Stay Frosty 2 is a sequel to the original Stay Frosty, released as part of a collection of mini-games in Stella's Stocking several years ago. This special demo version of Stay Frosty 2 contains a selection of levels featured in the full game. Can you conquer them and rescue Mrs. Claus? The full version of Stay Frosty 2 features more characters to rescue, 32 unique levels which repeat at increasing difficulties for 128 total levels, and many more surprises!

You can download the the demo version of Stay Frosty 2 attached to this post. Included are NTSC and PAL versions of the game you can enjoy in the Stella emulator (make sure you're using the latest version) or on a real Atari 2600 system with a Harmony Cartridge. The full version of Stay Frosty 2 will be available soon in the AtariAge Store!

stayfrosty2_box_large.jpg

Enjoy!

Stay_Frosty_2_Demo.zip

• Like 24

Thanks all!

If you try to play it in Stella, the music sounds really high-pitched and weird. Harmony is OK, though.

Are you using a current release of Stella? Stay Frosty 2 uses more DPC+ features of DPC+, and in new ways, than any other program. We uncovered a number of minor DPC+ emulation issues during SF2's development.

Based on Stella's News, I believe you need to be using at least version 3.7.3

October 26, 2012

Stella release 3.7.3 for Linux, MacOS X and Windows is now available.

• Note: because of TIA/RIOT changes, the state file format has changed again, and old state files will not work with this release.
  • Improved handling of 'illegal' VSYNC signals, which sometimes created 'short' frames that caused massive flickering. Also improved related behaviour when VSYNC isn't used at all.
  • Improved sound generation with ROMs that have irregular scanline counts. This fixes many demo ROMs as well as Quadrun, where previously there would be 'gaps' in the sound output.
  • Improved emulation of RIOT chip, in particular the behaviour of reading from TIMINT. Also, D6 of the Interrupt Flag register is now properly set on active transition of the PA7 pin.
  • Fixed bug in DPC+ bankswitch scheme; the music in several ROMS wasn't playing correctly.
  • The ROM properties database now uses 'Auto' instead of 'Auto-select' everywhere. This makes for less typing when running from the commandline.
  • Updated included PNG library to latest stable version.

What is DPC+?

DPC+ is an updated version of David Crane's DPC. DPC is a co-processor for the 2600 that was used back in the day for Pitfall II. Sadly the market collapsed before they could use it for other games. The same idea was also used on later systems - on the NES they're known as mappers.

Space Rocks also uses DPC+.

Edited by SpiceWare

As nice as the digitized music is (quite an achievement for the 2600 for sure), I would like to see an option to turn it off and just keep the sound effects. It's sounds very rasping on my PC speakers (latest Stella Emulator in use) and I get very distraced by it. Will try it later with my H2 cart, maybe it sounds different on the real hardware. Everything else is perfectly fine.

As nice as the digitized music is (quite an achievement for the 2600 for sure), I would like to see an option to turn it off and just keep the sound effects.

RTFM, it's the biggest file in the ZIP you downloaded ;)

You'll also get 2 sound effects at a time, as opposed to just 1, if you turn off the music.

It's sounds very rasping on my PC speakers (latest Stella Emulator in use) and I get very distraced by it. Will try it later with my H2 cart, maybe it sounds different on the real hardware. Everything else is perfectly fine.

Make sure you're using the latest version of Stella, there've been a number of fixes and updates that improve DPC+ music playback. Even then, the music sounds quite a bit better on real hardware.

H2 cart? Haven't seen any updates about the 7800 Harmony Cart - do you have a test build :ponder:

Really good level design, really well programmed, attractive graphics, lots of depth. Love it.

Thanks for the kind words! A lot of time, effort and testing has gone into making the game. You're only seeing a tiny sample of the full game, and there are a lot of surprises in store. Darrell did an amazing job with it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the finished product. Parts shortages prevented a cartridge release in time for Christmas, so we decided a demo version would make for a nice fill-in.

• Like 1