Photo

Stay Frosty 2 Demo Released!

133 replies to this topic

#1 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,669 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:55 AM

Everybody's favorite fabled frosty firefighter is back! But so are those pesky fireballs, and they're hotter than ever! This year they've kidnapped Santa and some of his helpers, so it's up to you to put out the fireballs and rescue your friends from their fiery fate.

Your first frosty adventure was just a warm-up - now there are all new levels to conquer and challenges to face! Fortunately, you've found some new magic in that old silk hat of yours. Can you stay frostier, fight your way to the fireballs' frigid fortress, and freeze those fiendish flames?

AtariAge and the team behind the upcoming Atari 2600 homebrew Stay Frosty 2, lead by author Darrell Spice, Jr., have released a playable demo of this original, holiday-themed game! Stay Frosty 2 is a sequel to the original Stay Frosty, released as part of a collection of mini-games in Stella's Stocking several years ago. This special demo version of Stay Frosty 2 contains a selection of levels featured in the full game. Can you conquer them and rescue Mrs. Claus? The full version of Stay Frosty 2 features more characters to rescue, 32 unique levels which repeat at increasing difficulties for 128 total levels, and many more surprises!

You can download the the demo version of Stay Frosty 2 attached to this post. Included are NTSC and PAL versions of the game you can enjoy in the Stella emulator (make sure you're using the latest version) or on a real Atari 2600 system with a Harmony Cartridge. The full version of Stay Frosty 2 will be available soon in the AtariAge Store!

stayfrosty2_box_large.jpg

Enjoy!

Attached Files

#2 dubxcube OFFLINE  

dubxcube

Chopper Commander

• 153 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:02 AM

Nice! Can't wait to snag a cart! Beautiful job on this game!

#3 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 3,355 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:57 AM

Count me in! Looks great! Some of the best games are Christmas related. Love the artwork on the box too!

#4 BillyHW ONLINE  

BillyHW

Stargunner

• 1,705 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:03 AM

Very impressed by the video of this game.  Thank you for posting the demo!

#5 mhodgeshvs OFFLINE  

mhodgeshvs

Space Invader

• 37 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:50 AM

Nice.  Thank you Al!  And happy Xmas and Holidays to you, nice gift for us!   As always, I'll be one of the first to get the game once it's available in the store :)

All the best!

Mitch

#6 Impaler_26 OFFLINE  

Impaler_26

Cookie Meister

• 2,580 posts
  • Braindead

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:53 AM

Thanks for the demo! Happy Holidays!

#7 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Game Gear>Game Boy

• 8,371 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:03 AM

Is there something wrong with the audio?

#8 amberPang OFFLINE  

amberPang

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:23 AM

Really good level design, really well programmed, attractive graphics, lots of depth.  Love it.

#9 LidLikesIntellivision OFFLINE  

LidLikesIntellivision

River Patroller

• 3,029 posts
  • Intellividens

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:28 AM

Some time ago, I saw a picture with many great boxes there.

There was a Christmas themed box too but it wasn't this box.

Now, I'm very curious. :)

#10 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 2,046 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:10 AM

Is there something wrong with the audio?

In what way?
That's the TIA chip pumping out in-tune 3-channel Christmas music and sound effects. :music:

#11 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 5,249 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:50 AM

Very nice...

#12 atarian63 OFFLINE  

atarian63

River Patroller

• 3,885 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:51 AM

Amazing! I want this for sure,what a great job wow!!!

#13 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Game Gear>Game Boy

• 8,371 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:26 AM

In what way?
That's the TIA chip pumping out in-tune 3-channel Christmas music and sound effects. :music:

If you try to play it in Stella, the music sounds really high-pitched and weird. Harmony is OK, though.

#14 Special Teams OFFLINE  

Special Teams

Moonsweeper

• 321 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:26 AM

Sold!  Can't wait...

#15 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Quadrunner

• 8,345 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:09 AM

Thanks all!

If you try to play it in Stella, the music sounds really high-pitched and weird. Harmony is OK, though.

Are you using a current release of Stella?  Stay Frosty 2 uses more DPC+ features of DPC+, and in new ways, than any other program. We uncovered a number of minor DPC+ emulation issues during SF2's development.

Based on Stella's News, I believe you need to be using at least version 3.7.3

October 26, 2012

Stella release 3.7.3 for Linux, MacOS X and Windows is now available.

• Note: because of TIA/RIOT changes, the state file format has changed again, and old state files will not work with this release.
  • Improved handling of 'illegal' VSYNC signals, which sometimes created 'short' frames that caused massive flickering. Also improved related behaviour when VSYNC isn't used at all.
  • Improved sound generation with ROMs that have irregular scanline counts. This fixes many demo ROMs as well as Quadrun, where previously there would be 'gaps' in the sound output.
  • Improved emulation of RIOT chip, in particular the behaviour of reading from TIMINT. Also, D6 of the Interrupt Flag register is now properly set on active transition of the PA7 pin.
  • Fixed bug in DPC+ bankswitch scheme; the music in several ROMS wasn't playing correctly.
  • The ROM properties database now uses 'Auto' instead of 'Auto-select' everywhere. This makes for less typing when running from the commandline.
  • Updated included PNG library to latest stable version.

#16 sandmountainslim OFFLINE  

sandmountainslim

Vicar of Fonz

• 5,619 posts
  • Climber 5 Champion since Jan 2005

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:14 AM

LOVE the demo!  Thanks guys!   

#17 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 2,576 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:25 AM

Thanks!  Looks great!  Can't wait for the release! 

#18 Philsan ONLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 2,809 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:37 AM

Thank you very much Darrell and Merry Christmas!

#19 Atari Dogs OFFLINE  

Atari Dogs

Stargunner

• 1,532 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:53 AM

Cant wait to put it on my psp and try it out.

#20 BillyHW ONLINE  

BillyHW

Stargunner

• 1,705 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:57 AM

What is DPC+?

#21 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Quadrunner

• 8,345 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:06 AM

What is DPC+?

DPC+ is an updated version of David Crane's DPC.  DPC is a co-processor for the 2600 that was used back in the day for Pitfall II.  Sadly the market collapsed before they could use it for other games.  The same idea was also used on later systems - on the NES they're known as mappers

Space Rocks also uses DPC+.

Edited by SpiceWare, Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:11 AM.

#22 Marc Oberhäuser OFFLINE  

Marc Oberhäuser

Stargunner

• 1,391 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:27 AM

As nice as the digitized music is (quite an achievement for the 2600 for sure), I would like to see an option to turn it off and just keep the sound effects. It's sounds very rasping on my PC speakers (latest Stella Emulator in use) and I get very distraced by it. Will try it later with my H2 cart, maybe it sounds different on the real hardware. Everything else is perfectly fine.

#23 cmart604 ONLINE  

cmart604

Quadrunner

• 7,949 posts

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:39 AM

Very nice, definitely in for CIB

#24 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Quadrunner

• 8,345 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:48 AM

As nice as the digitized music is (quite an achievement for the 2600 for sure), I would like to see an option to turn it off and just keep the sound effects.

RTFM, it's the biggest file in the ZIP you downloaded ;)

You'll also get 2 sound effects at a time, as opposed to just 1, if you turn off the music.

It's sounds very rasping on my PC speakers (latest Stella Emulator in use) and I get very distraced by it. Will try it later with my H2 cart, maybe it sounds different on the real hardware. Everything else is perfectly fine.

Make sure you're using the latest version of Stella, there've been a number of fixes and updates that improve DPC+ music playback. Even then, the music sounds quite a bit better on real hardware.

H2 cart? Haven't seen any updates about the 7800 Harmony Cart - do you have a test build :ponder:

#25 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 6,129 posts
  • Staying Frosty

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:13 PM

Really good level design, really well programmed, attractive graphics, lots of depth.  Love it.

Thanks for the kind words! A lot of time, effort and testing has gone into making the game. You're only seeing a tiny sample of the full game, and there are a lot of surprises in store. Darrell did an amazing job with it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of the finished product. Parts shortages prevented a cartridge release in time for Christmas, so we decided a demo version would make for a nice fill-in.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users