IGNORED

HSC Season 2 ~ SILVER Medal Bracket ~ Medal Bracket Challenge

Vocelli

HSC Season 2 ~ Silver Medal Bracket ~ WINNER is SPICEWARE!

Starts Monday. December 30, 2013.

This is how it works.
The rankings are determined by looking at the FINAL rankings in the NEW HSC Season 2.

A game will randomly be picked from ALL the games played from that season.
My son will draw from a hat one of the games used this past season.

Lose and you are out. Win and you move on. You MAY NOT use the score you posted during the regular rounds, NEW SCORES ONLY!
If there is a TIE then both players move on in a 3 player match-up. If neither player does not post a score then both are OUT.

The FINALS will consist of three games and two weeks.
There will be ONE Silver Medal winner.

Season 3 will begin March 1, 2014

Silver Medal Tier ~ WINNER ~ Spiceware

ROUND 3 ~ The FINALS!

12. Spiceware ~ 240100

vs

10. Karokoenig ~ 260600

Playing: Gryuss (Game 1)

12. Spiceware ~ 30857

vs

10. Karokoenig ~ 8232

Playing: Spider-Droid (Game 1)

12. Spiceware ~ 4855

vs

10. Karokoenig ~ 2130

Playing: Space Invaders (Game 6)

TWO WEEK FINAL ~ 3 Games ~ Post by evening of Jan 26, 2014 by Midnight.

ROUND 2

16. NIKON ~ 64000

vs

12. Spiceware ~ 537600

Playing: Solar Fox (Game 1)

Must post by the evening of January 12, 2014 by midnight EST.

10. Karokoenig ~ 600 = 300 + 300

vs

14. Botbird ~ 517 = 253 + 264

Playing: Bowling (Game 2,4 or 6) Must play 2 Player and combine the score.

Must post by the evening of January 12, 2014 by midnight EST.

ROUND 1

9. Darthkur ~ 15553

Vs

16. Nikon ~ 17738

Playing: Toyshop Trouble (Game 1)

Must post by the evening of January 5, 2014 by midnight EST.

12. Spiceware ~ 92940

Vs

13. Snakeboy ~ 00000

Playing: Turmoil (Game 1)

10. Karokoenig ~ 136520

Vs

15. LarcenTyler ~ 63430

Playing: Congo Bongo (Game 1)

11. Keilbaca ~ 0

Vs

14. BotBird ~ 13192

Playing: Beamrider (Game 1)

THE LIST OF SEASON 2 GAMES

Time Warp (Game 1)

Skiing (Game 4)

Sky Jinks (Game 4)

Venture (Game 1)

Sub Scan (Game 1)

Spider Fighter (Game 1)

Midnight Magic (Game 1)

King Kong (Game 1)

GI Joe: Cobra Strike (Game 1)

I Want My Mommy (Game 1)

Edited by Vocelli
  • Like 5

Oh boy... My computer just crashed and I won't be able to play for the rest of the week. This sucks. I'm on my iPod right now, and there's no emulator on that.

Man, that really reeks!! Sorry to hear about that.

Do you use the keyboard? Maybe play at a local library??

• Like 1

Oh boy... My computer just crashed and I won't be able to play for the rest of the week. This sucks. I'm on my iPod right now, and there's no emulator on that.

Bah... that's the worst. I wish you lived close, I'd be more than glad to open up my place to you and have some personal fun competition :)

Does anyone know when this round will end?

Alright... this isn't going as well as back in October when we played Congo Bongo. But for the moment, I'm content:

Congo Bongo (game1): 62,240.

Basically, the game gives it to me hard as soon as I have to do diagonal jumps. The controls are very unforgiving if you're not absolutely precise. I also have no real recipe to handle the snakes/eels/whatever at level 5 and higher. Lots of luck involved...

post-34656-0-01932800-1388502146_thumb.png

Okay, here's how you kick Congo Bongo right into the nether regions:

Every step you take scores you 10 points, while the bonus timer depletes. Thing is: you get "walking points" faster than the bonus runs out - by a factor of around 1.4. There is a convenient spot in every stage where you can just keep walking into the edge of the screen. First stage: walk right up to the highest ledge, but walk to the right instead of towards the Ape. Keep walking and watch your score rise, then at the last moment walk up. Second stage: Just keep walking down into the bottom edge, take a quick power nap and wake up with a higher score. In the second stage it is advisable to leave about 2000 points on the timer, so you have enough time to get across the river without panicking. Rinse, repeat.

Factor 1.4 doesn't sound too bad. But especially in the later levels, it adds up to a shitload of points you can get with no danger whatsoever. Just for shits and giggles, I tried this out. I managed to get 100,000 points without even attempting a single jump in the second stage of level 5. If you play normally, you have to reach at least level 7 to cross 100 k. If you lose a life at some point - good! Because that earns you another round of cheaply acquired points. At this point (stage 2, level 5), I had 3 lives left. If I had continued this tactic, I could have beaten my own high score of 136 k without a single attempt at crossing the level 5 river. The legit game that achieved the 136 k for me ended at level 9 - which is, as you all will agree, very hard to reach.

I strongly recommend against this strategy, though, for the following reasons:

1. It's super cheap.

2. It's tedious as hell and no fun at all. I tried it out while doing other things on my laptop, taking a leak, making coffee, etc.

3. It really throws off your flow and timing. After sitting through several minutes of blankly staring at a white figure walking into a wall like an idiot, you usually screw up and jump right into the pond - even at level 5, which normally isn't THAT hard to beat.

4. It's utterly obvious when this tactic is used to get a high score, because the screenshot shows the level at which the game ended.

Probably not cheating in the most rigorous sense, I guess. More like the Atari 2600 equivalent of level grinding in RPG's. Cheap nonetheless. But maybe it's interesting to know for those who might one day attempt to roll the score on Congo Bongo. Lid, Northcoast, I'm looking at you :-). Or for those who maybe want to hack the game so that it can't be done anymore. Just make the edges of the screen a death zone and all will be fine.

• Like 3