IGNORED

Telnet - Getting your TI on the Internet & TI BBS's

Omega-TI

omega dreaming again? build a card with a wifi modem and rxb's sam with enough memory for stuarts browser pages. see i get it. :)

Hmmmm, someone has been LURKING in multiple threads eh?

Yeah, I have a lot of ideas, but I'm man enough to admit that I don't have the skills to design or make the hardware, let alone program the stuff myself. :(

Yes, I was thinking about a WiFi card, but damn Sissy, I like your idea even better! Combining the WiFi modem and Super AMS type memory all on the same plug-in P-Box card is stroke of genius. How would you handle the browser, on the 512K cart?

Problem is, and even I realize it, there are just too many things involved. To start off, everyone has their own projects, so it would be next to impossible to get someone to step up to design the board. Then you would have to get it built, which means people would have to commit to buy a PCB or kit, or even an assembled unit in some sort of pre-order. Then I'm sure there would be some kind of programming involved. Also, the final big two questions, which can sink any project:

1) How much would it cost.

2) How many would actually buy.

I'm under no illusions, while I would personally love one, I saw the results of the poll, very few people do the BBS's, and I'm not sure how many would even want to use a text only TI browser to surf the web other than myself and of course Stuart who is writing it. That's why I'm focusing on aftermarket hardware, at least with the pre-existing hardware there is a chance of doing what I'd like to accomplish.

Actually, I'd probably use it as well. Look at the bright side of a TI browser project: we can surf the web about as totally safe from a drive-by browser attack as anyone out there, just because the code embedded in the attacks won't be targeted to our operating system. Even if it downloaded, it wouldn't run properly, if at all. Extreme obscurity has its advantages here. . .a few thousand TI users worldwide as opposed to the millions using other systems.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a little preview of the simple TI web browser that I've been working on. This is running on my TM990 connected to a Lantronix UDS-10, but will be portable to the TI-99. Got as far as being able to specify a URL and retrieving the HTML for that page. Next need to start looking at a few simple tags (character underline, character small caps), plus a sprite pointer to click links.

Video: http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/z_ti_browser.mp4

You know something, this browser of your's would eliminate a problem some people have transferring programs to the TI from their PC after downloading. With your browser... just download direct!

I was just wondering whether Stuart actually implemented a full TCP/IP stack, but as I saw a lot of the heavy lifting is done by the Lantronix device. Some of you might remember that I once kicked off a project to implement TCP/IP on the Geneve (around 1996), but I stopped shortly after enabling my Geneve to answer ping requests from my PC.

If you want to get a full Internet connection from the TI/Geneve using a simple modem or a direct serial cable connection (and not the tunneling technique of the Lantronix) you have to implement PPP, IP, and TCP, for DNS access also UDP, and maybe you can get along without ICMP, but in the end, the HTML rendering is the least concern of all.

If you want to get a full Internet connection from the TI/Geneve using a simple modem or a direct serial cable connection (and not the tunneling technique of the Lantronix) you have to implement PPP, IP, and TCP, for DNS access also UDP, and maybe you can get along without ICMP, but in the end, the HTML rendering is the least concern of all.

Considering the memory and speed limitations of the TI (due to it being over three decades old), I'm amazed Stuart has been able to coax as much out of the old girl as he has. Now if the Lantronix can give the TI a little help to make it a viable project, I'm all for it. I'm not an Uber Programmer like you guys, I'm one of those dreaded "USERS', so I'll gratefully take the solutions anyway they come. :)

Price went up $3 today sometime after he sold the fourth one. . .

Dude raised the price AGAIN! It was $12.00, then $15.00, now it's $17.00... I wonder what it'll be tomorrow? At this point it's still the best price available, but it's beginning to look like the longer you wait the more you'll pay.

73a9a9146f4d1d848dfec326fd2c2c9b.png

• 4 months later...

Actually, I'd probably use it as well. Look at the bright side of a TI browser project: we can surf the web about as totally safe from a drive-by browser attack as anyone out there, just because the code embedded in the attacks won't be targeted to our operating system. Even if it downloaded, it wouldn't run properly, if at all. Extreme obscurity has its advantages here. . .a few thousand TI users worldwide as opposed to the millions using other systems.

I just got to thinking about another major benefit that Stuart's browser could bring. If it had DOWNLOAD capability, you could put stuff directly on your TI without the hassles of going through a PC first.

• 1 month later...

I'm working on a PDF file about getting the TI-99/4A on the Internet, but was wondering if one of you BBS guys or other Lantronix UDS-10 users could check this BETA document out for me and let me know if it's clear enough for a newbie, if I left anything out or if there is something you think I should change or add.

Thanks. :)

** BETA FILE REMOVED **

Edited by --- Ω ---

Hmmm I thought the NanoPEB 1 used the same DSR as the TI RS232 card... Hmmm... none of the term proggies work with NanoPEB 1?

Not to my knowledge, that's why I put out a general call. I'd hate to put out something that was wrong.

Oh, while I'm at it... could someone PLEASE upload a WORKING disk image of TERM80? T'anks! :)

• 2 weeks later...