IGNORED

Anyone Mod the TI Sticks?

yell0w_lantern

How about some pictures. :)

4 2.5mm tactile switches from radio shack for directional movement.

1 4.3mm tactile switch from Mouser for the fire button.

Some 28 gauge wire

1 Perf board

Side cutter or scissors

The usual assortment of soldering tools

This perf board was a happy accident - I didn't realize the copper was in rails when I bought it on ebay but it turned out to be very helpful for the wiring.

IMG_0918_zps3fcb6216.jpg

The trigger button position is where the little black support bar used to be.

IMG_0917_zps8e428c25.jpg

Here is the template of the flex circuit before cutting, Notice the beveled side is to the right on this side, the screen printed side, but left on the coppered side.

IMG_0909_zpsf7dbf5c9.jpg

Edited by yell0w_lantern
  • Like 3

Although the action of both the stick and fire button on the wired controllers is poor, I actually find that it is the ergonomics of the outer casing and stick that are the largest problems-the controller is just completely uncomfortable for extended usage.

The narrower the casing on joysticks, the more force has to be concentrated on simply keeping it relatively steady, the Atari 7800 pro controllers suffered from the same problem.

• Like 1

Although the action of both the stick and fire button on the wired controllers is poor, I actually find that it is the ergonomics of the outer casing and stick that are the largest problems-the controller is just completely uncomfortable for extended usage.

The narrower the casing on joysticks, the more force has to be concentrated on simply keeping it relatively steady, the Atari 7800 pro controllers suffered from the same problem.

That seems to be their biggest problem - they are terrible for extended use.

The 500XJ, right? I suppose not. This is where I get confused: I am left-handed but I seem to do a lot of things right-handed. I loved the 500XJ (still have a couple that are not yet disabled.) The fire-button (trigger) sits under the left index finger. (BTW, did anyone know they made a model for the NES?)

post-16281-0-22390900-1387793177_thumb.j

Some people just do not understand the curse it is being transdextrous. Or is that handedness-fluid? Ugh, better get on the phone to an advocate...

Also, see here (from where I stole the 500XJ image, heheheh)

Always thought that stick was the Konix SpeedKing-I presume it had a US launch under a different name.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello TI-99ers! This is my first time posting.

This is a joystick I'm building right now.

It's made from a heavy steel outdoor electrical box, and fitted with an actual, genuine arcade-type joystick and button from Happ Controls. The control panel is perfectly symmetrical, so can be rotated 180 degrees for left - handed operation. A switch is provided to swap left, right, up and down, and another switch to engage player 2.

PEW! PEW!

Question: Is there ever any need in a game to switch between player one and player two? I have a switch for that, but I'm not sure it's needed.

1800332_10152161737990606_2051466635_n.j

• Like 3

There are a lot of games with an option for two players, so being able to switch it would be useful. There are also a few games that reverse which stick is one and which is two, so that would help you to sort things out quickly in those cases as well.

The whole idea of being able to select which stick it is makes this a nice innovation. I like it.

Every person on here gives us great ideas to work with--it is why I stay here. I'm glad I could help.

Please post your parts list and such if you get a chance--you may not be the only one to build one of these, as I know several people were looking for a more-or-less indestructible joystick a while back, and this definitely fits the bill!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No, I never modded the TI sticks, but I did mod the TI-Cable...

Back in 1986 I made a custom joystick for my TI, when I sold my system in 1990, I never thought I would ever see

"THE BEST DAMN JOYSTICK I EVER OWNED" again. Well I, was wrong! :) Today it it came back to me.

gallery_35324_1103_259025.jpg

My scores have INSTANTLY improved and I no longer get 'hand fatigue'... look out Road Hunter!

• Like 3