IGNORED

Team Pixelboy News Bulletin - January 1st 2014

Pixelboy

Enjoy the time you have off Luc! Lining up new work is obviously important, but having down time is even more important in my opinion. Ideal scenario would be to have another job lined up but starting in a few weeks...

My games arrived today, but unfortunately I was not available to sign for them. I will get them from the post office on Monday, and I am so looking forward to them! A very awesome set of games. :)

Oh sure. The main reason there's only one game on my release schedule this year (namely Jewel Panic) is not so much that I am unemployed, but mostly because I wanted to clear the table for getting started on BasicVision. But then I got some info that revived my interest in the trading card project, so BasicVision falls to the wayside again. :P The good thing here is that I can make fast progress with the trading cards since I suddently have a lot of free time on my hands.

I don't know about trading card stuff. I guess it's similar to hockey cards collector?

Did you manage to spend the required time you were looking at for Basic Vision? As you plan to have your own language, that was making me thinking if some people ever wanted to replace ROM of old computer.

I don't know about trading card stuff. I guess it's similar to hockey cards collector?

Exactly. :) I'm currently working on adding a special section for the trading card project on the Team Pixelboy web site.

Did you manage to spend the required time you were looking at for Basic Vision?

I haven't touched the BasicVision project since I posted the general specs of the language on teampixelboy.com.

As you plan to have your own language, that was making me thinking if some people ever wanted to replace ROM of old computer.

Uhh... What? I don't follow... :?

Uhh... What? I don't follow... :?

Well, for me when I think about old computer, the one I was use was the C128. Back then, inside the ROM you got Basic (and even a sprite editor). I think the Adam was more like the Apple II, which the rom was containing the basic stuff to operate the computer and you got to load a software for doing Basic or any other computer language.

I admit that nowdays, it's a different story... most developer are using PC to program their stuff on other machine. But, back then, I think it would have been super cool to get a ROM upgrade (as long it's not buggy and that it's popular enough to become the standard that most people use).

Well, for me when I think about old computer, the one I was use was the C128. Back then, inside the ROM you got Basic (and even a sprite editor). I think the Adam was more like the Apple II, which the rom was containing the basic stuff to operate the computer and you got to load a software for doing Basic or any other computer language.

I admit that nowdays, it's a different story... most developer are using PC to program their stuff on other machine. But, back then, I think it would have been super cool to get a ROM upgrade (as long it's not buggy and that it's popular enough to become the standard that most people use).

I think Luc wants to develop a cross-compiler BASIC Ianguage IDE based on PC, and you're thinking in a BASIC running over Colecovision like ADAM but that would need a keyboard.

I think Luc wants to develop a cross-compiler BASIC Ianguage IDE based on PC, and you're thinking in a BASIC running over Colecovision like ADAM but that would need a keyboard.

Yup... well, I was just thinking like that.. but having a Basic language IDE based on PC is more useful nowdays than if it was a new ROM... But, seeing all different sort of projects and remake.. anyway.. a bit out of topic! ;)

• Like 1

When you fire up an adam it loads the smartwriter word processor. Basic for the adam was sold on a digital data cassette.

SmartBASIC was included with the purchase of each ADAM Computer.

A nice feature of the ADAM is that you could remove the 2 or 3 SmartWRITER rom chips from their sockets (labeled U##) on the ADAM Logic Board and replace them with ANY program that was 32K in size or smaller. SmartBASIC was a very popular choice to burn to a rom chip and install inplace of SmartWRITER back in the day and really made a lot more sense for people like me that were programmers... turn on the system and SmartBASIC loads up instantaneously.

SmartBASIC was also a popular choice to have placed on cartridge for people that didn't want to disassemle their Memory Console to replace the rom chips on the Logic Board.

SmartBASIC was included with the purchase of each ADAM Computer.

A nice feature of the ADAM is that you could remove the 2 or 3 SmartWRITER rom chips from their sockets (labeled U##) on the ADAM Logic Board and replace them with ANY program that was 32K in size or smaller. SmartBASIC was a very popular choice to burn to a rom chip and install inplace of SmartWRITER back in the day and really made a lot more sense for people like me that were programmers... turn on the system and SmartBASIC loads up instantaneously.

SmartBASIC was also a popular choice to have placed on cartridge for people that didn't want to disassemle their Memory Console to replace the rom chips on the Logic Board.

I didn't know it was included that is interesting. I bought a copy on digital data cassette a while back but haven't tried it yet. In the early 90's I used commodore 64's and Vic 20's at school and at home. Its interesting to see the differences between all of these machines. If they didn't take up so much space I think I would have to venture down the road of multiple computer collecting.

Edited by Manoau2002

Wow.. I did not know that. Did someone also made a ROM with some feature to rip/debug stuff on Adam?

like this cartridge?

http://ar.c64.org/wiki/Super_Snapshot

I didn't know it was included that is interesting. I bought a copy on digital data cassette a while back but haven't tried it yet. In the early 90's I used commodore 64's and Vic 20's at school and at home. Its interesting to see the differences between all of these machines. If they didn't take up so much space I think I would have to venture down the road of multiple computer collecting.

Actually, three programs were included with the ADAM... SmartWRITER, SmartBASIC and the Buck Rogers Super Game along with a blank Digital Data Pack. I also owned a C=64 back then and my computer desk was very crowded what with these two computers, 2 Disk Drives for each system and 2 printers.

Wow.. I did not know that. Did someone also made a ROM with some feature to rip/debug stuff on Adam?

like this cartridge?

http://ar.c64.org/wiki/Super_Snapshot

Unfortunately no. For the most part, software was developed in SmartBASIC and either stored as a standard basic program or POKEd into memory and then the entire contents of memory saved as a Machine Language program. Other more advanced programmers developed their warez in CP/M, even for the ADAM's standard operating system callled E.O.S. Then there were the elite programmers who created their own development tools, but these were never shared with the masses.

So, to program directly on the ADAM, you have limited options as far as E.O.S. and they are SmartBASIC, SmartLOGO and MacADAM unless you create your own tools. In CP/M, there are far too many languages to list here.

The closest thing that comes to mind is a Coleco devlopment tool called "Coleco Graphics Processor" or also known as "Project Name by Line". This is a graphics design tool plus a lot more that I can't remember off the top of my head. Coleco programmers and artists used it in conjunction with a VAX system.

Edited by NIAD

Actually, three programs were included with the ADAM... SmartWRITER, SmartBASIC and the Buck Rogers Super Game along with a blank Digital Data Pack. I also owned a C=64 back then and my computer desk was very crowded what with these two computers, 2 Disk Drives for each system and 2 printers.

Yeah I knew about smartwriter and buck rogers I didn't know about smart basic and a blank ddp included. I learn something everyday on this forum.

• Like 1

Luc,

Received my 3 games today.

Nice surprise pack-ins with Battle of Hoth. Love the gray cart too!

Also got Mecha-8 and Buck Rogers Supergame.

Have not played any yet, but looking forward to Buck Rogers because I had an Adam Computer for about a week when they were selling them. I can't wait to see if it brings back any memories. I returned the Adam, but can't remember why.

Thanks again.

At last!!!!! :)

I've received my games from Team Pixelboy. :D

• The Black Onyx. Pretty interesting RPG, a very "fat" manual, and you can save! :) only wondering how so long it is.
  • Battle of Hoth. I'm astonished, music from certain movie, awesome graphics based on a green guy and a guy with a black helmet, I enjoyed it very much. It's better than Empire Strikes Back.
  • Module Man. Control feels pretty soft, dungeons filled of colorful monsters and it's not easy!
  • Buck Rogers. I never played this before but is pretty good, in fact I got stuck in walls' level, I suppose I should reduce speed.
  • Mecha-8... well, I wrote this game so I'll say only that it's good ;), it has astounding box, artwork and manual :) (thanks, Luc! :D)
  • Like 1

• Battle of Hoth. I'm astonished, music from certain movie, awesome graphics based on a green guy and a guy with a black helmet, I enjoyed it very much. It's better than Empire Strikes Back.

Seriously?... YOU ... you are astonished by that game . :-o I guess it is little bit exaggerated, here. ;)

I received my Mecha 8 too , did'nt find time to try it, but i guess (having seen the video) i will be more than blew away by that game.

• Like 1