IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2014 (Season 7)

My times for the week:

NES:

Skull & Crossbones - 5 min.

Genesis:

Columns III - 38 min.

Ghost Hunter - 5 min.

It Came from the Desert - 231 min.

Newman Haas IndyCar Featuring Nigel Mansell - 65 min.

Super Bubble Bobble MD - 17 min.

True Lies - 22 min.

SNES:

Chessmaster - 310 min.

Sega CD:

Iron Helix - 207 min.

Star Wars Chess - 65 min.

Wheel of Fortune - 123 min.

Wild Woody - 34 min.

Atari Jaguar:

Checkered Flag - 11 min.

Troy Aikman NFL Football - 2 min.

Beat Wheel of Fortune for Sega CD -- quite handily: I shut out both CPU opponents and won the bonus round -- and the unreleased Genesis game It Came from the Desert. Thoughts on Wheel of Fortune, plus two games from last week, here. Far too much of the Wheel of Fortune time was spent either waiting through loading times and bad disc reads, or restarting after realizing that I'd failed to properly enable both CPU opponents.

I also "re-beat" Star Wars Chess on the highest difficulty level, and finally beat Chessmaster on Level 8 (of 13), both with the Black pieces. Meanwhile, my wife and I cleared Iron Helix on Easy level, and played some Super Bubble Bobble MD and Columns III.

Otherwise I futzed around with several different games, with various degrees of engagement. Newman Haas IndyCar reminded me of how much I dislike Pole Position-style racing games, and while Checkered Flag is kind of pathetic, I still prefer playing that type of driving game over Newman Haas. What can I say -- I just can't stand games where you get thrown hard to the edge every time there's a curve, and the CPU cars can cruise through at top speed while you have to slam on the brakes simply to stay on the road. And Wild Woody on Sega CD is dreadful, a poorly-designed platformer that's impossible to enjoy.

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 28, running from July 7 - 13. We logged 3565 minutes of eligible play, playing 73 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 675

2. Chessmaster, The (SNES) - 310

3. It Came From The Desert (Genesis) - 231

4. Iron Helix (Sega CD) - 207

5. Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega Saturn) - 150

6. Shellshock (Sega Saturn) - 140

7. Wheel of Fortune (Sega CD) - 123

8. Croc (Sega Saturn) - 120

9. Stunts / 4D Sports (PC (DOS)) - 110

10. Pippols (ColecoVision) - 90

10. Super Mario World (SNES) - 90

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 675

2. Pippols (ColecoVision) - 90

3. Princess Rescue (Atari 2600) - 50

4. Elevator Action (Arcade) - 45

5. Chetiry (Atari 2600) - 30

5. Deluxe Invaders (Atari 5200) - 30

5. BurgerTime (ColecoVision) - 30

8. Galactic Chase (Atari 5200) - 25

8. Universum Color TV Multi [dedicated Pong console] - 25

10. Colony 7 (Atari 2600) - 18

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (878)

2. Sega Saturn (580)

3. SNES (503)

4. Sega CD (429)

5. Genesis (378)

6. PC (DOS) (144)

7. Arcade (124)

8. ColecoVision (120)

9. Atari Jaguar (73)

10. NES/Famicom (69)

For a third week in a row it's the Atari 2600, Saturn, and SNES taking the top 3 spots of the system charts! Meanwhile, the arcade game Moonwalker becomes our 129th member of the 1000-minute club, with 1030 minutes logged to date.

• Like 3

Atari 2600

Colony 7: 85 min

Obelix: 9 min

NES

Chessmaster: 9 min

Trog!: 16 min

Master System

Kung Fu Kid: 12 min

Not much to say this week. Colony 7 is an excellent homebrew we were playing last week in the HSC. Chessmaster is a flea market find. It took me those 9 minutes to beat the opponent on the first difficulty level. Talk about a gentle start for a newcomer to Chess. Kung Fu Kid (another flea market find) is nice and good-looking, but hard for me. I think I'm getting too old for pixelperfect controls. Couldn't beat the first boss...

• Like 2

Acorn Electron:

Bandits At 3 O'Clock - 9 min.

Five-a-side Socca - 3 min.

Microball - 26 min.

Mr Wiz - 11 min.

I've had some trouble loading games, both from tape recorder and PC sound card. At least I got a handful to load and play OK, but still I haven't got any UEF files from the sound card to load correctly, whether it is due to files, software, sound card, volume or cables remains to be determined.

C64:

Hover Bovver - 18 min.

Famicom:

F1 Race - 29 min.

VIC-20:

Clowns - 56 min.

Cosmic Jailbreak - 23 min.

Galaxian (Atarisoft) - 20 min.

Metagalactic Llamas - 17 min.

Miner 2049'er - 38 min.

Money Wars - 15 min.

River Rescue - 14 min.

Topper - 49 min.

I set a new PB on Clowns, 14620 pts which was achieved thanks to the clown almost got sandwiched between two rows of balloons, popping them one by one and new balloons appearing. I also set some decent scores on Galaxian (21370 pts) and Topper (39465 pts). The latter is an interesting Q*Bert type game, where squares disappear every now and then besides there are different enemies. Very frustrating when you jump into sudden blank space.

• Like 2

Finished up another season (50 games) of Baseball Stars for the NES. We've had great fun creating new teams and playing against the strongest teams from the cart (American Dreams, Brave Warriors, Ninja Blacksox) and prior teams that we created (Baseball Bunch, Super Dogs). If you haven't played Baseball Stars, give it a chance. You start with a relatively weak team but each time you win a game you earn some cash. You can use the cash to enhance the abilities of your current players or purchase better players. Gameplay is smooth and the games go quickly.

NES: Baseball Stars - 370 minutes

Too new but we played them anyhow...

Nintendo 3DS: Mario Kart 7 - 245 minutes

Nintendo WiiU: Mario Kart 8 - 63 minutes

post-274-0-49273100-1405873024_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Sega Saturn

Duke Nukem 3D - 630min

Finished the game for the first time since I played it back when it came out on PC :) lobotomy did an excellent job porting this one :)

Shellshock - 230min

Was aiming at finally finishing this game but mission 14 is kicking my ***!

Tomb Raider - 45min

Wing Arms - 30min

Played 2 missions, 1st mission was super easy(enemy's dumb as rocks) 2nd overly hard. And since when did WWII planes have shields and bounce off the ground?

2600 -

Seaquest - 40min (66430points)

Got me a 2600 this weekend :)

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (July 14th through 20th)...

Arcade:

Moonwalker - 236 min. in 8 sessions

MSX:

Comic Bakery - 202 min. in 5 sessions

I only played those games. I heard my playing of Moonwalker has put it in the 1000-minute club by now. Somehow I still like this game because it's somewhat unique. I don't know any other fighting game with game mechanics in this way, where you move more or less freely on a scrolling path, have a special weapon, can transform into a robot et al. Some people say the game would be similar to Streets of Rage, but Streets of Rage is only scrolling vertically, not in all directions.

This week I tried a new strategy of just going as far as necessary to make the next enemy spawn, in order to have them spawn one-by-one and not having them overwhelm me. However, this backfires in the last level when some enemies spawn behind the player, so if MJ's not far ahead, he'll be surprised by those enemies.

I just wish there was a sequel to this game... with the same game mechanics, but new levels, new enemies... maybe even parts of the same levels would do if you could go in directions that are now blocked and enter doors where now only enemies come out. More freedom of movement would be good since now you are forced to go the way the scrolling takes you. It's also a pity that Moonwalker looked vastly different on all other platforms, but the arcade version itself wasn't ported to any of them.

As for Comic Bakery, I played this one back in the day on the C-64 and always found that version to easy, it never seemed to get harder. Well, the MSX original which I now checked out does get harder, so something went wrong with the conversion. In later levels the game gets a bit unfair at times when you jump up to beam an overhead racoon and land right in another one that comes running on the ground, or if you try to jump over a ground racoon, but it changes direction while you're in the air (similar to the fireballs in Atari 2600 Donkey Kong).

• Like 3

MY WEEK - July 14th-20th:

Atari 2600:

1) Asterix - 7 minutes

2) Centipede - 8 minutes

3) Coconuts - 2 minutes

4) Colony 7 (Homebrew) - 45 minutes

5) Commando - 4 minutes

6) Commando Raid - 5 minutes

7) Dragonfire - 7 minutes

8. Entombed - 6 minutes

9) Escape from the Mindmaster - 3 minutes

10) Galaxian - 53 minutes

11) Moon Patrol - 10 minutes

12) Strat-O-Gems Deluxe (Homebrew) - 50 minutes

Atari 7800:

Moon Cresta - 12 minutes

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:

1) Colony 7 - 503,600 points

2) Galaxian - 2 gameplays recorded in ONE video: Games 1-BB and 1-AA

• Like 3

My times for the week:

Intellivision:
Math Fun - 2 min.
Stampede - 1 min.
NES:
Galactic Crusader - 5 min.
The Last Starfighter - 10 min.
Genesis:
Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle - 21 min.
The Humans - 43 min.
Sampras Tennis '96 - 157 min.
True Lies - 413 min.
SNES:
Chessmaster - 75 min.
Sega CD:
Iron Helix - 657 min.
PlayStation:
Crash Team Racing - 2 min.
This week I completed True Lies on the Genesis (on Hard) and the time-consuming Sega CD adventure Iron Helix (on difficulties #2-3, the equivalent of Medium and Hard).
The latter victory was with the help and collaboration of my wife, who drew maps of the levels, kept track of everything we checked out, and came up with the key insight that enabled us to find a crucial DNA sample and finish the hardest level tonight (i.e. Sunday). I then played a bit more on my own, to see whether a playthrough with no probes lost might give us a less grim ending, but no dice -- I guess the scriptwriters were feeling dystopian that day.
Otherwise I defeated the first few opponents in Pro mode in Sampras Tennis '96; played through a few levels in the lackluster puzzle game The Humans; lost a game against Chessmaster on the highest level; decided that I didn't much like the Genesis Alex Kidd game; and messed around briefly with a couple of the NES's nastier shoot-'em-ups.
  • Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 29, running from July 14 - 20. We logged 4576 minutes of eligible play, playing 57 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Iron Helix (Sega CD) - 657

2. Duke Nukem 3D (Sega Saturn) - 630

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 556

4. True Lies (Genesis) - 413

5. Baseball Stars (NES/Famicom) - 370

6. Moonwalker (Arcade) - 236

7. Shellshock (Sega Saturn) - 230

8. Comic Bakery (MSX) - 202

9. Sampras Tennis '96 (Genesis) - 157

10. Colony 7 (Atari 2600) - 130

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 556

2. Comic Bakery (MSX) - 202

3. Colony 7 (Atari 2600) - 130

4. Space Invaders (Atari 5200) - 80

5. Clowns (VIC-20) - 56

6. Galaxian (Atari 2600) - 53

7. Strat-O-Gems Deluxe (Atari 2600) - 50

8. Topper (VIC-20) - 49

9. Seaquest (Atari 2600) - 40

10. Miner 2049'er (VIC-20) - 38

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega Saturn (935)

2. Atari 2600 (890)

3. Sega CD (657)

4. Genesis (634)

5. NES/Famicom (439)

6. Arcade (236)

7. VIC-20 (232)

8. MSX (202)

9. Atari 5200 (115)

10. SNES (75)

In a fairly big week for the tracker, the continuity of the last three weeks gives way to heterogeneity, as all three charts are topped by different platforms. Two of these are optical media systems from Sega, as moody Sega CD FMV game Iron Helix takes the individual #1, while Duke Nukem 3D leads the Saturn to the top of the system charts, and Kaboom holds on to the top of the pre-NES charts for the Atari VCS.

In other news, while the SNES isn't near the top of the charts this week, its port of Chessmaster has become our 130th member of the 1000-minute club, with 1015 minutes logged to date.

• Like 5

Sega Saturn

Alien Trilogy - 25min

Loaded - 335min

Finished the game and had a lot of fun with it :) awesome soundtrack in this game too, but the final boss was too easy and last cutscene too short :(

Shellshock - 480min

Finally finished the game :) after mission 13 this game gets pretty hard but for some reason the final mission is super easy as you can just cruise through picking up the crates and avoiding enemy's. The final cutscene was quite shocking in its reveal of the identity of "the man"

Atari 2600

Seaquest - 45min (91,950points)

Asteroids- 5 min

Astroblast - 5min

Cosmic Ark - 10min

Decathlon - 10min

Missile Command - 15min

Word Zapper - 5min

• Like 3

Acorn Electron:

Bird Strike - 14 min.

Epoch/Yeno Super Cassette Vision:

Astrowars: Invader from Space - 6 min.

Astrowars II: Battle in Galaxy - 13 min.

VIC-20:

Money Wars - 16 min.

Metagalactic Llamas - 20 min.

I bought a Super Cassette Vision from a friend, including the two mentioned games which are quite alike. The first Astrowars has a hint of Space Invaders to it, while Battle in Galaxy is more Galaxianish. I might browse around for which other titles are worthy plays on this system, which like Kurt once mentioned in another thread, has a very VIC-20 like text font. This led me to play some more VIC games, of course including my favorite Llamasoft title as Jeff Minter was famous for his fonts that other software companies would steal all the time.

• Like 2

Atari 2600

Strat-O-Gems Deluxe: 51 min

NES

15 min: Different games (can't remember any specific ones) on a weird plug & play thingy I picked up for 1 Euro at a flea market. It's shaped like an N64 controller and has 64 NES/Famicom games on it. Well, almost 64 games. Some doubles on it and the disciplines of Track and Field are all counted as one game...

Game Boy Color

Asterix - auf der Suche nach Idefix: 7 min

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (July 21th through 27th)...

Arcade:

Moonwalker - 199 min. in 7 sessions

Super Burger Time - 19 min.

I continued to play Moonwalker this week, but I didn't manage to improve my playing anymore, still needing 3 Continues until the end - in my last session even 4.

Then I played some Super Burger Time because it's actually somewhat similar to Moonwalker in that you also get to collect extras and exploit different shooting abilities.

I complained last week that there was no sequel to Moonwalker, but actually, what's really similar to it is the various First Person Shooters, only they are in 3D. In them, you often have different weapons too and get to stray around the ground, just freely, not confined by the somewhat silly scrolling.

Well, since I didn't improve, I think I'm done with Moonwalker now, but never say never... next up would be Crazy Balloon. ;-)

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 3

MY WEEK - July 21st-27th:

Atari 2600:

1) Atlantis - 8 minutes

2) Blueprint - 8 minutes

3) Challenge - 5 minutes

4) China Syndrome - 22 minutes

5) Cosmic Creeps - 5 minutes

6) Demons to Diamonds - 3 minutes

7) Jawbreaker - 10 minutes

8. Kool-Aid-Man - 9 minutes

9) Stay Frosty (Homebrew) - 64 minutes

10) Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (Demo Version) - 23 minutes

11) Strat-O-Gems Deluxe - 24 minutes

Atari 7800

Moon Cresta (Homebrew) - 90 minutes

CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:

1) 2600 Stay Frosty - 171,166 points

2) 2600 Stay Frosty 2 Demo Version - 15,593 points (Game Finished)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJIyNR_n5wo

3) 2600 Strat-O-Gems Deluxe - 33,090 points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ofjAQM92k

4) 7800 Moon Cresta Easy - 158,280 points

5) 7800 Moon Cresta Hard - 6140 points

6) 2600 China Syndrome - 2 gameplays in ONE video - Games 1BB and 1AA

• Like 3

Created a new team in Baseball Stars (Video Game Characters). My son and I each picked out the names for our batters (we share a team). My guys are Q*bert, Donkey Kong, Pac-man, and Bonk. His are Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Wario. We also have Zelda, Link, Sonic, Dig Dug and Evil Otto on our bench and Frogger, Nester, Kirby, Pitfall Harry and Yoshi as pitchers. Five games into our new season, we're 2-3. We also bought a Game Boy pocket last week and have been having a great time playing some of our GB games...

Baseball Stars (NES) 112 minutes

Ms. Pacman (GB) 20 minutes

Pokemon Blue (GB) 15 minutes

Pokemon Red (GB) 5 minutes

Monopoly (GB) 110 minutes [my son loves all Monopoly games]

World Class Bowling (GB) 35 minutes

Penguin Wars (GB) 20 minutes

10 Pin Bowling (GB) 10 minutes

Parasol Stars (TG16) 15 minutes

Atlantean (TG16) 20 minutes [newly released game I picked up at CCAG - it's like Defender but under the sea]

• Like 3

Karokoenig: It sounds like a Mega-Joy or a Mega-Joy II. I've got one of those myself, orange with yellow buttons.

Did a google image search for Mega Joy. Mine is silvergrey and looks very similar, but has "Stellar Challenge - 64 Games" printed on it. It has a second, smaller controller, which you can daisychain to the main one via an Atari-like 9-pin plug. And it has a cart slot underneath which (I guess) can take Famicom carts.

• Like 2

My times for the week:

NES:

Caltron 6-in-1 - 43 min.

Genesis:

Alien Storm - 20 min.

Jennifer Capriati Tennis - 120 min.

Pac-Mania - 81 min.

Sampras Tennis '96 - 623 min.

Super Bubble Bobble MD - 34 min.

Sega CD:

Iron Helix - 5 min.

PlayStation:

Ball Breakers - 4 min.

Championship Motocross Featuring Ricky Carmichael - 25 min.

Fighting Force - 214 min.

Krazy Ivan - 146 min.

Beat Sampras Tennis '96 on Pro difficulty, thus beating the game -- though evidently there's a secret battle against a robot character (!) that can be accessed via password. No idea how to get the password, and the one that's on the web doesn't use my preferred character (Guyennot).

I also beat Krazy Ivan on Easy, Fighting Force on Medium (with my wife), and Jennifer Capriati Tennis on the regular difficulty setting. Capriati doesn't actually have a difficulty option per se, but beating the game gives you a password for a second loop of the game with a tougher set of opponents -- and they sure are tougher!

Otherwise I played Alien Storm and Super Bubble Bobble MD in co-op with my wife, made a few failed attempts on Pac-Mania and the Balloon Monster game in Caltron 6-in-1, and checked out a couple recent acquisitions for PlayStation.

• Like 2