IGNORED

The homebrew flood ... good thing, right?

Fushek

So ... there seems to be a FLOOD of homebrews coming to the Intellivision. At first, I was very excited and thought that it was a great thing, especially for the fans ... but now the pessimist in me asks the question, is it a good thing for the producers of the games?

Here's my logic (or lack thereof ;)):

In the past, just about ANY homebrew was purchased by everyone in the community. We were so hungry for something new, that we purchased everything, multiple copies in many cases. With so many new releases now coming, will it end up hurting new sales, or maybe will it help draw in NEW fans to the community? Not all of us have infinite amounts of money to buy new releases ... there's gotta be a breaking point at some point on the supply and demand for Intellivision games.

So, I ask the question ... will most people continue to buy every release or do you plan on being more selective about which ones you buy?

So, I ask the question ... will most people continue to buy every release or do you plan on being more selective about which ones you buy?

Ask your wallet. There are a lot of ColecoVision homebrews being released each calendar year and I just can't afford to buy all of them. So, with that I have had to pass up on some of the offerings.

I know I'll try to purchase all of the releases this year. It's not that I have unlimited funds, but for those games that are limited release, you only have the one chance at a reasonable price ("do I spend $60-70 now, or $300+ on eBay later?"). That's what I like about Elektronite (once they come back online): you don't have to try to BUY NOW!, you can wait a little bit and get your funds in order.

For those that aren't collectors, they would probably prioritize those that they think they'd like to play and go from there.

I can't speak for the different publishers, but I think they might want to try to take the same approach Hollywood does with movies: try to space out the "blockbusters" (in this case, any game :) ) so that you don't get too many new releases too close to each other.

I buy what looks like something I'll enjoy playing. If I make (for example) a salary of $25/hour, a game that costs $75 had better give me a minimum of three solid hours of playing fun. I don't want to spend $75, play it for ten minutes, and then display it on a shelf to collect dust.

• Like 2

I buy what looks like something I'll enjoy playing. If I make (for example) a salary of $25/hour, a game that costs $75 had better give me a minimum of three solid hours of playing fun. I don't want to spend $75, play it for ten minutes, and then display it on a shelf to collect dust.

EXACTLY.

Not that I can't afford afford them, but I'm really picky about which homebrews I purchase. For what they cost these days (more than the price of a big budget modern game in most cases), the quality, re-playability and over all value better be way up there. Doesn't matter to me how many homebrews with fancy boxes and overlays get produced as I know a very small percentage of them are going to appeal to me anyway. ;)

• Like 1

Damn, I might spend 3 hours just making the scans and updating the database ... OK, slight exaggeration, but at least an hour for that. I've been nearly criminally negligent in the amount of time spent playing the games. I still haven't done more than pop in Match 5 and aimlessly clicked around in it. Hell, haven't even given DK*Arcade or most of the homebrews their due. I think the last one I really, *really* played hours of was 4-Tris. Not because of lack of intent to do so... I blame the children. :P

But to the main question: I fully intend to get each game as my 'least' effort to express support for the community, because I suffer from some kind of mental defect compelling me to do so, and to have fun!

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 1

I can't promise my games will come out on schedule (I probably can promise that they won't), but I will continue to release games whether they sell or not.

My aim is to make really good, polished games as a sort of artistic expression, and with that goes the full-fledge cart and box production, because that's how I want them to be. (ROM releases go hand in hand with that.)

I wouldn't count on everyone buying one copy, and definitely I wouldn't expect anyone to buy more than one. However, I aim to make the games compelling and exciting enough to attract enough people to make the releases feasible. After all, I make the games I want to play, and I hope others will enjoy them too.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 10

I'm not sure if it's good or bad. Considering the small market that is Intellivision, producing more games will inevitably shrink the pool of collectors that can/will buy every release. Only a small (and possibly pathologically disturbed) percentage of gamers ever buy even a quarter of all releases. I think the current homebrew devs know this. When there are only 4 releases per year, it's easier to buy them all. Yet how many folks only bought 4-tris, but passed on Samegame back in the day?

I suppose all depends on the expectations of the developers. Intelligentvision (David) treats his work as a hobby that he shares with the community. He guages support, then produces (or doesn't) accordingly. Elektronite (William) wants to sell many games as possible to make the business profitable, which in turn allows for growth, expansion, experimentation, and inevitably more games for us. I think both businesses know there will be blockbusters and lukewarms, and both seem cautious on investing in lukewarms. Hopefully, the end result is a nice variety of high quality fair priced releases that satisfy our hunger without overwhelming our appetites.

• Like 3

The more games the better, right? I hope no one feels obligated to buy every release.

How does everyone feel about the unreleased Mattel games?

Some that have not been released are not super fun and may be incomplete it have glitches. There may be a small demand regardless to see them released in CIB form for nostalgia's sake. Thoughts?

Because I heard a rumor some crazy guy was going to try and release a bunch if them....

Edited by revolutionika

I can't promise my games will come out on schedule (I probably can promise that they won't), but I will continue to release games whether they sell or not. My aim is to make really good, polished games as a sort of artistic expression, and with that goes the full-fledge cart and box production, because that's how I want them to be. (ROM releases go hand in hand with that.) I wouldn't count on everyone buying one copy, and definitely I wouldn't expect anyone to buy more than one. However, I aim to make the games compelling and exciting enough to attract enough people to make the releases feasible. After all, I make the games I want to play, and i hope others will enjoy them too. dZ.

Great call DZ, I approve of your message and agree with all you said here.

Hopefully complete in box and a great game to play, let's move forward with the Intellivision.

As far as releasing incomplete games, as long as they have a nice box I would collect those too as I collect all complete games Intellivision.

What i would prefer not to see are cartridge only releases in any form as the box art is what makes the Intellivision stand alone as a retro gaming system.

I would still purchase them as well to keep my collection intact, but only for that reason.

Please, keep doing them the way you started. Take your time it is worth the wait! Wolfy62

• Like 1

Incomplete games....I'd still buy them, but I'd obviously prefer finished games. I know it's likely going to be "unfinished or nothing at all", but it's tough dropping $40+ on a barely working cart release. With respect to GFTG and GF, I'm already in a bunch of cash for the boxes (though they look great). Carts, depending on price, make the total pretty steep overall. Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy them, but it would really be nice if we could have one of our incredibly talented programmers do a charity polish of the roms before release. :-D

Put another way, I'd rather pay $70 for a working/finished game than $40-50 for one level and no sound. Price is definitely a consideration. I don't know what cost goes into putting an unfinished game on a cart, but I'm thinking $30 max for unfinished is about right. Just my opinion....just trying to contextualize value....valuate context? OK, I'm confused.

I, for one, am being more selective with the homebrews that I buy already. Part of the reason is monetary, other parts include collectability and playability. I certainly want to support the homebrew community as much as the next collector but with some recent releases I just haven't felt that "burning desire" to have it right away.

• Like 2

The more games, the more competition, the more pressure there is to make better games, no?

That's a great point ... hadn't thought of it in that way!

Also, it took some thinking, but I finally got your profile picture ... that's funny :lolblue:.