IGNORED

sio2sd and configurator questions

knusperfisch

Hi,

I finally got my sio2sd to work, and now I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to bypass fast SIO routines at boottime?

2. Is ist possible to mark some diskimages (i.e. dos, copy program etc.) for quick access without the need to mount it to D1 manually every time?

3. I suppose the V: devices have something to do with question above, but how to use them?

4. Is there a documentation for all aspects of the device including configuratior software etc.? To be honest I am very disappointed with the documentation. Important parts in polish language only. Information bits scattered around the net. Thats awful.

Thanks in advance for helpful answerd!

cheers!

> Important parts in polish language only.

polish / deutsche / english

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/Deutsch

I know that page, it contains only *some* info, configurator and recent firmware documentation is in polish language only.

I tried google translator, results were horrible. It is not even easy to copy text from these pdfs without character errors and missing spaces.

And "for version < 2" this and "version > 2" that is very confusing. Why not one page for each version?

Page contains no examples how to actually use the sio2pc in all aspects. That would be absolutely necessary.

At least lotharek should write a complete documentation, because he sells the devices, but he just refers to this forum.

Thanks, I know both, and the the answers of my initial questions are'nt there.

i.e. the virtual drives, what are they for?

From the 2nd link:

"Those are basic instructions only. SIO2SD on-screen loader has many other features."

I'd like to know the "many other features".

Edited by knusperfisch

The 2nd link is from my website.

The "many other features" are the ones allowed by SIO2SD device.

Unfortunately I am not smart enough to know them.

I agree with you that documentation (and documentation for other products) could be better, especially for average user.

You need virtual drives to swap disks.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received my fabulous looking Sio2SD device from Lotharek. I must say: it is a nice interface. Good looks, very firm build. Has high potential, that is for sure.

But like this thread, I'm a bit puzzled about the possibilities. Where is the English manual for Firmware 3.x ?

The configurator program has all kind of bells and whistles, and I simply can not understand a thing from it.

Ofcourse I could downgrade to a lower firmware, but I chose this one because it can (just like Abbuc SIO2USB) create ATR files by itself.

With the configurator I can manage to create a file, but it reports an error 139 when I try to read the dir on the atari.

I also can not set a density.

Is there someone in Poland who can write a decent translation of the documentation?

I think this great device deserves a normal manual. Thanks in advance!

M.

No. The atr is not accessable. Am empty ATR usually reports 000 sectors free. I get an error 139 which means trouble.

Haven't checked created ATR but I think it isn't a valid file ... Probably some parameters are required in the configurator tool which I don't know.

• 1 year later...

The German-language version translates far better through Google than the Polish one. It is very readable indeed. Inevitably where both approaches fail is the rather useful illustrations that are directly annotated - pixel-wise - in the appropriate language and of course Google translator cannot do anything with those.

In regards creating a disk of a set density from the 'Configurator', I don't think you can. However what you can do is create a *.ATR of whatever name you choose, mount it on the drive you choose and then use DOS to format that drive to whichever size you choose. The named *.ATR will then have taken on the dimensions that you just formatted. I have tested *.ATR images created in this way and they work identically to those from other sources. It is frustrating and a little odd that the 'Configurator' makes only a 0Byte *.ATR's on command and does not handle the formatting stage itself, either directly with the appropriate values written into the *.ATR as it is created or through a second format dialog. There is a useful advantage in being able to name your new image which the 'Empty'+Format method will not do, supplying only a default name with unique numeric suffix. However there is the extra step of opening the configuration first to actually create the image, so... Horses for courses!

One other thing, with the file of choice selected in the bottom 'window', "CONTROL+R" will allow you to rename it. Again quite useful, but again requiring the opening of the 'Configurator' in the first place.

I should also note I do not use the 'Configurator' as advertised with its executable on the SD card, but written in to the SDX user-area of my 'Ultimate1MB' so it is always available.

All in all, while I appreciate absolutely each and every homebrew programme written for the A8 I think it is about time someone took another crack at this and maybe serve up something similar to the reportedly excellent 'Configurator'-a-like that runs on the Atari-side for the 'SIO2USB ABBUC' device. This is a project I am going to attempt myself once I get back in to Atari ASM, but that is a long-term goal.

• 2 years later...