IGNORED

ATARI 5200 GAME AND SOURCE IN 5200BAS HUNT WITH DICK

SIO2

Something I have been playing with. Seems like source codes are always hard to come by. Not great perhaps but maybe someone will find it useful.

Zip file includes the .bin and sources for a game called Hunting with Dick for the ATARI 5200. It is written in 5200bas and is targeted to real hardware. Uses the analog control. Tested on my 5200 2 port. Read included text file for more info.

Enjoy.

Hunting With Dick Atari 5200.zip

• Like 1

A little update which should demonstrate a basic shooter. Change the graphics, change the rules and you might just make it into that game you always wanted.

If you make improvements, please share your source.

Also, does anyone know how to use g2f output to make title screens I can use with 5200bas? I have been using g2f clicking all the options and spitting out tons of files. So far I don't see anything comparable to the data format output by Jeffry's ANTIC4.exe

P.S. I switched to the other fire button in version 2 of Hunting with Dick.

HWD2.zip

Edited by SIO2

Also, does anyone know how to use g2f output to make title screens I can use with 5200bas? I have been using g2f clicking all the options and spitting out tons of files. So far I don't see anything comparable to the data format output by Jeffry's ANTIC4.exe

Well, I understand now that if you ask g2f to output asm it will produce a number of files including filename.fnt and filename.scr. If I want to use those files the same way I have been using the ANTIC4.exe output, I have to use bin2hex to convert the files. In an experiment I did, I used a similar program - Jeffry's bin2inc with the /8 option to convert the files. The result was not what I had hoped.

When I tried to display the screen with the Hunt With Dick Program, I could recognize the image was there but each line of characters was shifted right or left resulting in a jumbled mess.

Perhaps I will try again later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hwd release 3.zip

Here is the third and possibly final release of HWD because there are some other things I want to work on.

There are essentially no changes to the game play in this release. If you are looking for a game to play, this probably won't keep you satisfied for long.

The purpose of this though is to share a source code example of the things I am learning as I teach myself to program the 5200 in 5200bas.

This version of HWD includes an intro screen that was created with the help of g2f (graphics to font). The .zip file contains a How to g2f.txt file that explains the process.

The program now includes display lists, display list interrupt, and vertical blank interrupt routines used for loading the intro screen but could be changed to do colorful background screens.

The source code includes more comments. The memory plan has been changed to allow for expansion of the program to utilize a 32k cartridge.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...