IGNORED

I'm actually very interested about the 7800

segasaturn

Might have paid a little more but I know what Im getting.

Ordered one a few years back and that is my experience:

You're getting a better than new unit. The power and reset internal switches are replaced with brand new better quality ones. The composite out is good, not as good as one with a Longhorn Eng. board but still worlds better than dealing with RF.

The cosmetics are flawless. The system I received had a brand new faceplate and not one blemish on the shell. I was highly impressed. Plus it ships like something from Fort Knox. I have never had anything sent that was packaged so well.

You're getting a better than new unit. The power and reset internal switches are replaced with brand new better quality ones. The composite out is good, not as good as one with a Longhorn Eng. board but still worlds better than dealing with RF.

The cosmetics are flawless. The system I received had a brand new faceplate and not one blemish on the shell. I was highly impressed. Plus it ships like something from Fort Knox. I have never had anything sent that was packaged so well.

Glad to hear that. I've bought from Best many times and I'm always impressed with how the stuff looks and how its shipped. When I got the last box from them the mailman asked me "Is Atari still in business?!?" He was astonished.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. I think I want one too. I may even break my "No modding" rule and put in some AV outputs. I was thinking of the 2600 just for giggles, but the 7800 seems like a better made system and I love the fact its backwards compatable.

Ive been checking out those smaller, nes style gamepads for it. Now I kinda want one bad.

It always amazes me to hear about people finding stuff at Goodwill. Not in this part of the country!

It's starting to be that way here also, and i'm in Ontario Canada. Just less than 2 years ago i could find consoles and games for the 2600, Intv, 7800 Colecovision, everytime i went to various Goodwills and flea markets, which was several times a week. Now there's nothing to be found in the last 2 years since.

Edited by Rik
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love the 7800. I only like a handful of original games for it, but for what it is and the history behind it... it's a great collectible. The controllers are very bad, but can easily be modded or hacked into to make a true arcade stick or even a game pad.

The worst part about the 7800 is the sound. The only 2 games that have superior sound are the POKEY games, Commando and Ballblazer. The best thing are the homebrew possibilities... especially with the XM if everyone gets a chance to get one someday. ;)

And how cool is it that it can play 2600 games? Very cool.

The perfect set up will be and XM, arcade stick, and an SD cart if one ever gets made. ;)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I love Ms. Pac-Man- dearly- and the 7800 port stands out as an absolutely amazing port in a sea of, oddly, lackluster home ports. This alone justifies owning the 7800. There are other arcade ports that really make this system a keeper, too: Dig Dug, Donkey Kong (& Jr.), Asteroids, Commando, etc. Also, it's great to play 2600 games without having to plug in your joysticks/controllers to the back of the system.