IGNORED

Wii U comparison to the Dreamcast

RickHarrisMaine

I'm not sure why the Wii U is getting the comparison or why the said comparison would make it more desirable? The biggest comparison between the Dreamcast/Saturn and the Wii U to me is the abandoned third party support, which is pretty important.

Nintendo has been losing third parties steadily since the N64 days. I can't see them sustaining it for a whole lot longer though.

Maybe in terms of units sold the Wii U and Dreamcast can be compared. The difference between the launch lineups is night and day. I had to limit myself to 4 launch day Dreamcast games. There were easily 7-8 DC games I wanted on launch day. 14 months after the Wii U launched I have 5 games, one of which is an add on for NSMBU.

I wouldn't compare the two the DC had some good exclusive games among other things going on back then. Just buy the system for the games not because you feel sorry for Nintendo. As long as Animal Crossing/Zelda and Mario come out on Nintendo hardware I'm stuck buying Nintendo hardware otherwise I could give a crap what system I play them on.

Edited by cimerians

Damn, I wish I could compare wii-u to the dreamcast. Then I'd have something to buy. If wii-u had just 1/10 of the number of interesting dc games it would be an instabuy.

Since today's a snow day here, I think I'll just drag the ol' dreamcast out and play a ton of fun games in genres the wii-u has zero support in.

Sega Bass Fishing, a mediocre (at best) DC game, is more interesting to me than just about anything on wii-u (with the possible exception of u's 'yet another port of deus ex').

Edited by Reaperman

The main problem with the Wii-U is that it launched too early in an attempt to get a jump on the PS4 and XBONE, so it launched without any games being ready which annoyed the early adopters. Then it quickly developed a bad reputation and no 3rd party developer wants to support it now due to low sales. It's a chicken and egg sort of thing, developers wont make games for it because no one is buying the Wii-U, but no one is buying the Wii-U because there are no games.

The system itself is actually quite nice, but there's just nothing to play on it. They did the same thing with the N64, but they managed to pull that one out due to overwhelming customer loyalty which they don't have at the same levels now. Hopefully Nintendo won't pull a Sega and prematurely kill off the system like they did with the DC.

• Like 1

Does the Wii U run normal Wii homebrew? That would be a favorable comparison between it and the Dreamcast. Homebrew capable consoles are the bomb.

I think you can install the HB channel on the Wii side, at least people were looking into it last I checked.

Hahaha, there's *still* nothing to play on the Wii-U? Didn't think there would be. Still don't regret getting rid of mine shortly after launch. ;)

I don't know, I enjoyed NSB Wii-U, NSL Wii-U, and Mario World 3D. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is also coming out soon.