IGNORED

Got new system. Controllers can't be THIS BAD!

segasaturn

I just got a new system from Atari Brian and I was playing with it today and I heard a lot of complaints about these controllers but I didn't think it was THIS bad! I love Atari just like the next guy and I hate to say this because this is really the first controller I don't like. Even the 5200 controller is 1000% better in my mind! I was thinking, is the european style controller a lot better? how much do they usually go for? IS there a way to mod the 7800 controllers to make them better? Honestly the main problem I have is that the joystick sucks! Its hard to maneuver. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Edited by segasaturn
  • Like 1

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Nope. The 7800 controllers are underwhelming in both of their incarnations. The ProLine controller is uncomfortable to me after prolonged use, mostly because of the side-mounted buttons. The CX-78 "Europads" aren't much better: they're more comfortable to hold, but the action buttons are awkwardly placed, and the directional pad is cheap-feeling and tends to get stuck on the diagonals. Fortunately, the ProLine controller circuitry is relatively simple, so several alternative controllers have been produced, mostly modifications of controllers from other classic systems.

Problem too with the Proline (Pro... ha!) are the side buttons. Some two button games are really awkward to play. Hell, even the single button games after a while induce cramping, forced to diddle the buttons like that. lol

When I've had a 7800, I stuck to using the Europads. Vastly superior, but as jaybird mentioned - far from perfect.

Wonder if someone (would be right up Yurkie's alley) has come up with a nicer side button alternative for the Prolines? Something along the lines of a small tactile switch would be a lot more sensitive and easier to trigger...

post-13896-0-26311800-1390877059.jpg post-13896-0-06828100-1390877060_thumb.jpg

post-13896-0-66760300-1390877060_thumb.jpg post-13896-0-70859400-1390877061_thumb.jpg

Edited by save2600

Problem too with the Proline (Pro... ha!) are the side buttons. Some two button games are really awkward to play. Hell, even the single button games after a while induce cramping, forced to diddle the buttons like that. lol

When I've had a 7800, I stuck to using the Europads. Vastly superior, but as jaybird mentioned - far from perfect.

Wonder if someone (would be right up Yurkie's alley) has come up with a nicer side button alternative for the Prolines? Something along the lines of a small tactile switch would be a lot more sensitive and easier to trigger...

attachicon.gifpts525.jpg attachicon.gifPTS645_S.jpg

attachicon.gifPTS810.jpg attachicon.gifPTS820.jpg

I never had a problem with the fire button(s)...left one anyway. I do kind of hate pressing the button with my middle finger.

I just got a new system from Atari Brian and I was playing with it today and I heard a lot of complaints about these controllers but I didn't think it was THIS bad! I love Atari just like the next guy and I hate to say this because this is really the first controller I don't like. Even the 5200 controller is 1000% better in my mind! I was thinking, is the european style controller a lot better? how much do they usually go for? IS there a way to mod the 7800 controllers to make them better? Honestly the main problem I have is that the joystick sucks! Its hard to maneuver. Am I the only one who feels this way?

the euro controller is not that good either. The Atari 7800 FAQ on Atariage has schematic for dual button controller. Perhaps hack a Genesis pad.

• Like 1

I believe Ax has modded the NES Advantage to work with the 7800...

I've only had one instance of my hand hurting after playing a long term gaming session with the ProLines. My beef with them are the weak right side fire button giving out. I think Karateka ruined one of mine.

Edited by Lynxpro

Even when I got my 7800 brand-new as a kid back in the day I thought the controllers sucked. They are very uncomfortable after a while and they are unresponsive. You have to jam the crap out of the joystick sometimes to get your character to move on screen, and sometimes your character wont even move! I have opened them up, cleaned them and looked at them real close and they are still not as responsive as they need to be. Just poorly designed controllers. Sucks because the Atari 7800 deserved so much better (in many ways!). But at least you can plug in different controllers and try them out since the 7800 has the "universal" controller ports also used on the 2600 & early Sega systems.

Edited by gamecat80

I find it quite humorous for anyone to say that the 5200 controllers are 1000 times better than the 7800 proline.....Thats just ridiculous....lmao.....The 7800 prolines arnt that damned bad.....purhaps they are just broken.

Idk I just think the 5200 controller is a better fit in my hands. The main issue I have is that the joystick barely moves so it's hard to tell if your moving the joystick etc,. And in what direction. Idk like I said, it could be just me. I just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

• Like 1

The main issue I have is that the joystick barely moves so it's hard to tell if your moving the joystick etc,.

The "joystick barely moves" sounds like it may be more of a problem with the particularly joystick you are using.

However, if used to an analog moving controller, like the 5200, it may just be a perceptual thing.

Sine the 7800 is compatible with Atari 2600, you can use several Atari 2600 controllers for one button games. :thumbsup:

This includes Sega Genesis (Mega Drive), Sega Master System, the classic Atari CX-40 and many third party compatible joysticks.

For two buttons games, people already gave you great advice on the modded controllers.

I can say I love the 7800 but I wouldn't like it if I had the console in the 80's and had no other way to play 2 button games.

I can say I love the 7800 but I wouldn't like it if I had the console in the 80's and had no other way to play 2 button games.

That's the funny thing for me...In the 80's it wasn't an issue. I think with age (perhaps a touch of arthritis for me ;) ) is when it becomes a problem.

For those with perhaps worn controllers, this seller has been around for a while, selling brand new old stock 7800 controllers. A pair (two) of them is $19.99:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FTWO-NEW-Mint-Atari-2600-7800-Joysticks-NEW-OLD-STOCK-%2F380180371166%3Fpt%3DGames_US%26hash%3Ditem58848416de%23ht_582wt_752

I recommend buying them new and then send them to Yurkie and have his mod applied.

At the very least, get them new though. The joysticks as Gregory DG mentioned are very responsive. If noticing they are not, for example, joystick doesn't seem to move or it take a lot of effort to get a response, it's likely your controller(s) are worn (out).

I'd prefer someone manufactures some of those Sega converter pieces you linked to on the other thread Trebor. Just making Genesis stuff compatible work opens up a wide variety of easily available, cheap, great controllers. I think I'm gonna send Ax a PM. I know he is a busy guy but maybe just maybe....

• Like 2

I'd prefer someone manufactures some of those Sega converter pieces you linked to on the other thread Trebor. Just making Genesis stuff compatible work opens up a wide variety of easily available, cheap, great controllers. I think I'm gonna send Ax a PM. I know he is a busy guy but maybe just maybe....

More options the better...I'm always happy to see new homebrewing for the 7800; software and hardware.

Evidently, at least a few people have made their own.

Having a 'true' Genesis --> 7800 adapter mass (Or even not 'so massed') produced would be very cool.