IGNORED

I'm going to look at a Revenge From Mars (Pinball)

wongojack

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/vgm/4302236955.html

I talked to the guy on the phone and he seems nice. What should I look for? What should I expect to pay?

I don't have much experience owning pinball, but I've been comparing prices for years. This looks like a good price for a game that will actually get played in my house. I don't really mind if there are a few things to fix as a project, but I don't want a whole rebuild - so this fits.

How should I transport this - can the legs come of a RFM?

• Like 1

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/vgm/4302236955.html

I talked to the guy on the phone and he seems nice. What should I look for? What should I expect to pay?

I don't have much experience owning pinball, but I've been comparing prices for years. This looks like a good price for a game that will actually get played in my house. I don't really mind if there are a few things to fix as a project, but I don't want a whole rebuild - so this fits.

How should I transport this - can the legs come of a RFM?

Cool.I want to get some pins when I'm older and never really cared for this one but after looking at it again it looks really cool.Anyway http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-price-check-on-revenge-from-mars .from what I have read so far you got a good deal.Also from what I have read they are pretty reliable so no worries about high maintenance( :thumbsup: )but " Make sure the middle jump ramp works and isn't cracked, also make sure the monitor is bright and crisp".Hope everything goes well and post what you think of it afterwards :-D .

• Like 1

It looked exactly as he described. Kinda beat up cab, working game with some non working "sensors." I don't have any pins, but I think this is probably what I'm looking for. It's a little bit of a project, but will still be fun right away. I can slowly improve it and play it at the same time. Still mulling it over officially.

It's true the RFM aren't typically high dollar pins. If everything looks OK and its truly only a few sensors you can always offer $1500 and see if he'll take it. 100% working ones go around $1,800 - $2,200 around here.

The Pink2k games are fun, I think RFM is the better of the two (versus SW:EP1). You've got an extra level of complexity with the CRT and the old computer in it.. but I'm fairly sure there are replacement work arounds for both (just in case).

You can't dolly these like normal pins so they can be an absolute bitch to move unless you take the head off.

I got it tonight! First pin . . . . check

Imo to pay that kind of price for a pinball machine it would have to be refurbed and working perfectly . I have no experience in pinball machines but that is what I think .

Yeah I know, but welcome to the world of pinball collection. I've basically been shopping for the right pin at the right price for almost 3 years. This one ended up being the right one for me.

It's true the RFM aren't typically high dollar pins. If everything looks OK and its truly only a few sensors you can always offer $1500 and see if he'll take it. 100% working ones go around $1,800 - $2,200 around here.

The guy dropped the price to $1450 when I didn't call him back on Saturday. Normally that would be a bad sign, but I think he just needed the money. I got it home and it seems to play great. There are some lights out, but I can't really tell what sensors might be out. I don't think the guy really knew what was wrong with it or even really played it that much. The center ramp cover has a small tear in it which doesn't look so awesome. I might need to dot at it with some mod podge or something to stop it from tearing anymore. Anyway, I'm off on my journey of pin ownership.

I feel like I just bought a 15 year old car after never having a car before. Also, no one I know owns a car in this analogy. It seems to drive ok, but I'm going to have a nice bit of research to do to improve it. Kind of exciting really.

Joining PinSide post-haste (means quickly)

We got ours in mostly working condition and ok cabnits and great or good playfeilds-

We learned to fix most things ourselves any computer nut or electronics nut with the scematics can do it- soldering skills and general saftey around electricity a must.

the ipbd (internet pinball database) has lots of info and all legal schematics.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Revenge+From+Mars&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

A 15 year old horse would be more approprate, horses require a compleatly diffrent kind of maintance then other 'things'.

Williams pinball was VERY receinetly purcased by Planatarty pinball so that's who you want to check for schamatics right after ebay.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/pin2000/index.html

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH

They have the current legal rights to all schematics and roms and artwork, NOS artwok and NOS manuals with schmatics are of course also leagle and on the up and up.

Mine are Williams A-B (Big guns, they switched part way into the run) and RiverBoat Gmabler (Last of the Williams Cs) ... so mine are less computer and more logic switches and all.

Good luck.

Edited by FireTiger

Nice buy! I haven't heard of Revenge From Mars' running over $3,000 even in pristine condition, but between $2,000 and $3,000 is what I've seen them go for. Even if yours is rough, $1,400-ish seems like a solid deal. It really is a fun game with a bunch of interesting modes (Got to love the hypno-multiball, or whatever it's called. Super trippy!). I especially love how the apron lights up, it's a very cool effect that hasn't been replicated on real machines before or since, without after-market modifications.

Now that you've got your first pin, and since you say it's playing rough, first thing to do is learn the basics of cleaning playfields. You would be surprised how much a good playfield cleaning can improve the play of the game. Playing slow? First major cause of that is that it's probably dirty. Get yourself some Novus 1 and 2 and go to town! A bit of wax would help as well, but I'd just give it a good cleaning to start.

If it's still rough after that, work on the flippers. Maybe even do a full rebuild (actually a lot easier than it sounds). That's the most important part of a game, so having those in tip-top shape can go a long way as well.

It's great to see another newcomer to the hobby! You will have a lot of fun with it, both playing and working on the machine. It can get quite addictive, too. Don't be surprised if you want to invest in another just a few months down the line, haha! :)

We started with one now looking at a roadshow with topper and everything perfect (rebuild/shop) what would you pay for a roadshow (Williams WPS)?

Average Price on that around here has been in the $1700 - $2200 range the last year or so. So assume a $2,000 median.

Condition is king on these so a really nice example might fetch slightly more than that and a not-so-nice example might be worth slightly less but I'd try to stay under $2,000 in case you you decide to sell it down the road.

I have an RFM, feel free to ask questions if u need help.

Awesome. Here's what I'm working through:

Spending my first weekend with it, and I'm getting the hang of inspecting it. Read the f'ing manual and ran the game's excellent diagnostics. There are a handful of lights out and switches that won't fire. I think those should be easy, but there are a few things that are a little more serious. The Drop Target is disabled. The switch that is part of the assembly is missing along with the connector wires and socket.

The Light and dome on top of the popper are both missing. I'm not sure what bulb goes in there as I can't seem to figure it out from the manual, but I think I found the dome. I think someone started harvesting parts from this machine as the components went bad. I suspect the opto trans or receiver is out on the popper and one of the coils is out on the drop. I guess I'll learn something new there as I investigate what is wrong with those.

Light column 4b is out. This is a light string on the biggest lamp pcb plate. I get continuity between all the individual lights, but not back to the razor clip where this line is supposed to be connected to the rest of the machine. It's like the clip for this line has somehow been disconnected from the line in the PCB - weird. Nothing really looks scorched or damaged on the board. It could be a defect of some kind in the PCB. I think I might need to resort to connecting a wire from the last light in the string to the razor clamp or post.

So how do you guys work on these? Replacing lights and switches with the playfield vertical might be easy but soldering a wire to a PCB is going to test my ability (and patience) if I don't have a flat surface. I guess I'll have to disconnect the playfield completely, pull it out and lay it on its side?

in my older Williams games all the under the palyfeild PCB boards are removable-

The manual should state which bulbs go into the poppers-

Check for acid damage under the battery terminal- check your fuses out of circuit- check under the paper of the coils for scorched coils...

I'd start getting a list of your sleeve sizes for replacing those and a rebuild kit for the flippers.

Check against the internal list for the CORRECT fuses someone had our RBG all overfusesd-

Check aginst the manul for the correct colis in the game, routed games sometimes got the wrong coils put in.

We do the non PCB soldering ourselves and can follow the schematics in the manual pretty well- if not pinside tech forum is another place to go- but be ready to be VERY specific on what is wrong, what you have tried and what you have on hand and your ability (like: I have a copy of the manual and I can soldier on a 'medium' level).

Clips? what clips? I have molex connecters but alligator style clips are bad news.

also go through each switch and check to see if it's open if it's supposed to be and if it's closed it's supposed to be and if the coil actually switches the state of the switch- (manually move the paw to see if it closes or opens the switch).

Edited by FireTiger

Yikes! Tons of issues with this one, it seems. I wish I could offer help, but I'm not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to these things and am still learning myself. I went the more expensive route and bought newer machines, so the points of failure have been few and far between on my games, a wire snapping here (easy solder fix), a flipper issue there (not too hard to work on as I came to find out), etc. That's as I intended it, because there's no way I would survive with a project machine. Not right now with my current skillset. Need to ease my way in. You have guts, man!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your first pin! My first (and last pin so far) was a Gold Wings. It really was a terrible game, but for $250 and my first restoration project, it was a lot of fun to work on.

Austin, any chance of a flipper rebuild FAQ/Guide? I never had to do one and I refurbished two machines. Its just good knowledge to have :) Especially since I really want to get another pin soon.

• Like 1

Good luck have fun- expensive hobby- we picked up River Boat Gambler and Big Guns for under 700 each... network with the local pinheads and find great deals. also 'Pinside' is the Digital Press of Pinball- go join up- I'm JSmith over there.

Those are some good prices. Big Guns typically goes for $900. RBG a bit more(4-figure). I think Big Guns goes for a bit less since the backbox prevents it from being installed in people's basements.

Austin, any chance of a flipper rebuild FAQ/Guide? I never had to do one and I refurbished two machines. Its just good knowledge to have :) Especially since I really want to get another pin soon.

Pinside is a great resource. Helped a lot with getting my feet wet (which I am still doing, technically). If you have any questions, the Pinside community is generally quite helpful. I get plenty of useful responses whenever I post my issues over there. Here's a link to a flipper FAQ/guide. Bookmark and/or save the link, it will come in handy when you need to familiarize yourself with flippers and fixing them: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

Feels a little more natural to me now, too, taking it all apart. Basic maintenance is pretty easy, like replacing the coil sleeves (probably the cheapest way to get your flippers working well again). Just got a Last Action Hero myself a week ago and had to do that two nights ago. Only took a couple of minutes, it's not tough at all.

• 4 years later...

4 years later and the RFM really treated me well. I fixed a ton of stuff on it, but none of it was really all that "major." I had a couple come look at it this weekend and they offered me $2500 for it! It was fun to have, but I'm gonna take a break from owning a pinball machine for a while.

• Like 1