IGNORED

Easy way to play PAL software on an NTSC 1040STFM machine (as NTSC)?

eightbit

So tonight I made a few disks with Floimg (since I finally got a hold of a Dell machine with a floppy controller that actually works with this software) and I can make perfect disks from .st images. I made a few games and demo disks to test the 1040STFM I currently have, and ran across some PAL issues with a few titles....like Bloodmoney and the demo "Dark Side of the Spoon".

The screen rolls, and this is because they are PAL formatted software. I have the 1040STFM hooked up via a monitor to composite cable going to a TV. I also tried RF. Still rolls of course. The TV is a "world" TV (Sharp Aquos from early 2003) so I can stop the rolling by selecting PAL, but it is in black and white.

Easy question. How can I run PAL software as NTSC on this machine? Is there a boot disk that can force PAL software to NTSC mode? I understand that if it is possible it would probably make the applications run faster, but I do not care as long as I can see them in color! Or is there no solution but an Atari monitor?

Edited by eightbit

So tonight I made a few disks with Floimg (since I finally got a hold of a Dell machine with a floppy controller that actually works with this software) and I can make perfect disks from .st images. I made a few games and demo disks to test the 1040STFM I currently have, and ran across some PAL issues with a few titles....like Bloodmoney and the demo "Dark Side of the Spoon".

The screen rolls, and this is because they are PAL formatted software. I have the 1040STFM hooked up via a monitor to composite cable going to a TV. I also tried RF. Still rolls of course. The TV is a "world" TV (Sharp Aquos from early 2003) so I can stop the rolling by selecting PAL, but it is in black and white.

Easy question. How can I run PAL software as NTSC on this machine? Is there a boot disk that can force PAL software to NTSC mode? I understand that if it is possible it would probably make the applications run faster, but I do not care as long as I can see them in color! Or is there no solution but an Atari monitor?

Unfortunately a RGB display that supports PAL is needed. I'm not even sure it's PAL that it needs to support... it is more like 50hz NTSC .

Bottom line, an SC1224 or equivalent monitor that won't scroll the screen at 50hz.

Some menu disks have a PAL/NTSC selector. Some will force one mode or the other before you even load a program.

Some games or demos will force PAL mode and leave you little choice. Incompatability that way might be unavoidable if it's something that does overscan tricks or the like because doing them in one mode is different to the other.

In the case of file-based programs there is hope as you can simply put them on a blank floppy or different menu selector that lets you choose modes or in your case just leaves it as is.

I'll experiment with this, thanks for the insight. I recall the same issues with the Amiga 500 years ago, and I ended up with a 1084S monitor and added a PAL/NTSC switch to the unit just to be done with it. All of the good stuff came from European territory it seems...with both the ST and the Amiga.

Even in case of bootable (so starting automatically after reset) games, demos is possible to change refresh rate before start - with special boot floppy.

But it will not solve problem. As is said, some SW, especially demos can work only at 50 Hz refresh rate. I would not call it PAL, because in case of RGB monitor it has no sense - there is no color encoding.

So, only way is to get monitor capable to work at 50 Hz. And with RGB input for better picture quality.

The SC1224 (Goldstar model) arrived in excellent condition and displays all of the Euro stuff incredibly well. I have to adjust V-Hold slightly initially, but once done the picture is just superb. I am floored at the picture to be honest :) Good investment!

Cool. Did you find the V-hold happy spot where it doesn't scroll 50hz or 60hz?

I like the SC1224 LG model. The JVC model is just as good and maybe a little bit sharper but I think the LG picture is more pleasing.

Cool. Did you find the V-hold happy spot where it doesn't scroll 50hz or 60hz?

I like the SC1224 LG model. The JVC model is just as good and maybe a little bit sharper but I think the LG picture is more pleasing.

V-Hold was easy to adjust. It did scroll initially, but one slight turn and it was fine. I did notice that "V.Lin" adjustment was pushed up (I guess someone pushed on the pot as they tried to adjust it at one time) and I had to use a small flathead and push it back down in to place. That adjustment works fine now. I never understood why they did not add actual knobs to these. Quite annoying to have to make adjustments with a screwdriver. I had a Commodore monitor (1084s? Or something else, cannot remember) that had the same ordeal. In any case, it is finely adjusted now and looks great. What does the LG model look like? I am *assuming* mine is the goldsar model, but I can't tell. It had knobs on the sides and the video cable is hard mounted into the display.

Edited by eightbit

[quote name="eightbit" post="2924989" timestamp="1392044054. What does the LG model look like? I am *assuming* mine is the goldsar model, but I can't tell. It had knobs on the sides and the video cable is hard mounted into the display.

Sorry. Bad habit. LG is Goldstar.

This is the Goldstar:

http://www.maedicke.de/atari/hardware/pictures/sc1224g_1.jpg

Edited by Official Ninja

That is the one that I have. The LG model. I agree that the screen is pretty amazing :)

Hah. Now I have you calling it an LG.

Goldstar became LG and my understanding was because Goldstar was having bad name recognition being associated with poor quality.

They increased quality control and called themselves LG. I don't even know if that's true. :)

Edited by Official Ninja

I'd love to have one of those monitors. I haven't felt too encouraged to look for one, though, as I have a Sony PVM I picked up a while back, and it's both NTSC and PAL compatible, and hasn't had any problems displaying anything from my ST.

What model PVM do you have? These are all RGB BNC, right? How are you connecting the ST to it? Just curious :)

What model PVM do you have? These are all RGB BNC, right? How are you connecting the ST to it? Just curious :)

It's a 14M4U. It does have BNC connectors, but I use BNC to RCA adapters to make it easier to connect to. I made a cable that takes Red, Green, Blue, Composite Video/Sync, and Audio on a 9-pin D-SUB connector and breaks it out to five different RCA jacks (the monitor only has a mono speaker), which I plug into the BNC to RCA adapters on the back of the monitor. For the ST, I then made a separate cable that connects the appropriate signals to my 9-pin configuration, using the ST to SCART schematics I've found online as a guide for signal conditioning. I'm not sure the impedances are quite matched, though, as I'm getting a fair amount of noise (in the form of crawling diagonal lines) on the display.