IGNORED

A few bits from my Atari Lynx Collection

djrodderz

You have some nice stuff there, thanks for sharing! I had some nice sealed stuff, I couldn't keep it that way though lol. I end up playing everything I own. I even bought double a couple of items so I could keep one sealed but then needed the sealed one for multiplayer with my boys!

Edited by MrBland

I had two P.I.T.S., the first I bought from a collector who was building funds to buy a MagiCard. The second I bought off ebay for way too much and traded for my first Bitchy. Keep your eyes peeled they come up once in a while, they tend to cost a bit though.

As for California Games, I'm afraid I don't know much about that box. I have that variation, I think there are three variations, but other than that I can't help.

Edited by MrBland

EOTB is one that Video 61 produced a while back. I believe it was a very limited release to some of his valued customers. The Raiden I have I believe is the one released by Songbird Productions, the copy you have looks like the same that a Polish fellow was producing a while back. I have a Lemmings copy pictured in my collection that was by the same Polish guy. You can see the box and the cart look the same. CinciClassic I bought off here in the marketplace, well more accurately I posted in the wanted section and someone responded. About a year ago I saw one on eBay too, so they show up sometimes.

Awesome mate, where did you manage to find P.I.T.S. ? Don't think I'll ever get my hands on that one.

...Awaiting Hot Dog & Relief Pitcher to be released again.

Cyber Virus Cinci Classic - another I don't think I'll ever get my hands on!

You can still buy P.I.T.S. from the original seller. Do a general search on this site; there are several threads on point. I believe that you'll only be able to buy a bare cart at this point, but you might be able to scrounge up a case from a European collector. I believe that I paid around $200 for mine ten years ago, but can't imagine what they'd sell for now.

Impressive collection. I've always thought of the Lynx as a great system for the gamer, but a frustrating one for the collector; there are only about 75 games (excluding homebrews) and the cheap packaging they come in isn't too appealing either. The Game Gear has a lot more to offer from a collector's point of view.

Limiting...or liberating? The Lynx's small and (generally) affordable library means that a complete (ie. commercial) library is within the reach of almost every potential collector. The fact that the system has an extremely small user base means that there's almost no demand to drive up rarer titles (ie. Krazy Ace Miniature Golf) into the stratosphere. The highest price I've EVER been given for a complete, unreleased holy grail proto was ca. $1K, which is quite a bit lower than what you'd be looking at for a comparable 2600 title. And no, I didn't bite on it. :)

Really, really awesome collection of special things that any Lynx collector would to have. Impressive.

Regarding the Raiden: I wonder whether your (potentially Polish remake) version shows the "Release 3 CES Version" text. The real version doesn't, and it made me curious to see which version this one actually is. It might help other collectors to know that there is a variation of the CD jewel case with black PCB from Telegames.

Limiting...or liberating? The Lynx's small and (generally) affordable library means that a complete (ie. commercial) library is within the reach of almost every potential collector. The fact that the system has an extremely small user base means that there's almost no demand to drive up rarer titles (ie. Krazy Ace Miniature Golf) into the stratosphere. The highest price I've EVER been given for a complete, unreleased holy grail proto was ca. $1K, which is quite a bit lower than what you'd be looking at for a comparable 2600 title. And no, I didn't bite on it. :)

I absolutely agree that collecting for the Lynx is really liberating. I categorize myself as a completionist collector. I would go crazy collecting (almost) anything else because you would know that a complete collection is not feasible. Not so for the Lynx. It can be done.

BTW, can't see how the cardboard boxes of the GameGear are any better than the boxes of the Lynx games.

I might post pictures of my collection. I have always been very hesitant to do so, because it feels like bragging (maybe a typical Dutch thought to not strut your stuff too much). But each post of a collection is welcomed by compliments and good discussions. I might have to reconsider.

A friend of mine has a Lynx and half the games, but he doesn't attempt to get the rest atm. He always tells me it is no fun because you can complete a full set of official releases within a few weeks unless you really limit yourself quite a bit when it comes to prices. He has a complete Master-System set PAL and a complete Jaguar-set including homebrews, and he's soon to complete his Virtual Boy collection both US and Japanese.

I understand what he means, that the hunt is not terribly exciting. But I don't mind, for me personally some games are still quite difficult to get CIB. I find it nice to know every game is still obtainable for a reasonable price.

Edited by 108 Stars

Really, really awesome collection of special things that any Lynx collector would to have. Impressive.

Regarding the Raiden: I wonder whether your (potentially Polish remake) version shows the "Release 3 CES Version" text. The real version doesn't, and it made me curious to see which version this one actually is. It might help other collectors to know that there is a variation of the CD jewel case with black PCB from Telegames.

I absolutely agree that collecting for the Lynx is really liberating. I categorize myself as a completionist collector. I would go crazy collecting (almost) anything else because you would know that a complete collection is not feasible. Not so for the Lynx. It can be done.

BTW, can't see how the cardboard boxes of the GameGear are any better than the boxes of the Lynx games.

I might post pictures of my collection. I have always been very hesitant to do so, because it feels like bragging (maybe a typical Dutch thought to not strut your stuff too much). But each post of a collection is welcomed by compliments and good discussions. I might have to reconsider.

No, please do it -- it's one of the only way that we'll be able to build up a compehensive library of card/chip variants. It might also encourage lurkers to verify the existence of rarities and MIA protos ( Metal Mutant -- where are you???)

A friend of mine has a Lynx and half the games, but he doesn't attempt to get the rest atm. He always tells me it is no fun because you can complete a full set of official releases within a few weeks unless you really limit yourself quite a bit when it comes to prices. He has a complete Master-System set PAL and a complete Jaguar-set including homebrews, and he's soon to complete his Virtual Boy collection both US and Japanese.

I understand what he means, that the hunt is not terribly exciting. But I don't mind, for me personally some games are still quite difficult to get CIB. I find it nice to know every game is still obtainable for a reasonable price.

He must have a lot of money, or a lot of luck.

E.g. say you want to get a Krazy Ace Miniature Golf (retail) or Cybervirus Cinci Classic (homebrew). I own the first one, but only because I bought it when it was still for sale (pre 1993). I have never come across a real version of the latter, nor seen it on Ebay, nor was I able to get in touch with someone who had one and was willing to sell/trade one. I am willing to spend money on cartridges, but some of them just never seem to pop up. Or I really need to change strategy here. It's not that I am spending too little time on searching for them.

Amazing your friend got complete collections though. It always makes me wonder what the definition of "complete" is. I mean, everyone can put something on a cart and call it homebrew. But when is it considered to be essential for a "complete collection"? Any ideas?

A 'complete collection' should include every title that was, at some point, offered for sale to the general public, no matter how obscure or limited that market might have been (ie. P.I.T.S.) It should not include demos, protos, or pirate runs of protos that were distributed within a small group (I'm sure we can all think of several titles to which this applies).

By this measure, I don't have a 'complete' Lynx collection. I do have a complete P.I.T.S., which I think you'd need for this definition. I do also own a copy of EOTB with the save-game feature: AFAIK copies of this were offered for sale by a generous AA member, but I'm not sure that licensing rights were ever secured and I'm aware of at least one other run of these carts. I don't think that you'd need EOTB in any incarnation to be considered to have a 'complete' Lynx collection. I do not, however, own either a copy of Krazy Ace Miniature Golf, CinciClassic Cybervirus, or Ponx (pure laziness on my part), so I don't have a 'complete' collection.

I'm not sure where Bitchy fits into this, though, as I believe that 25 copies were made (when?) and generally sold to those who wanted it (who?).

The cardboard with the Game Gear games is generally of a better quality. The Lynx stuff feels particularly flimsy. Also, there is a lot more variety with the Game Gear packaging (it differs quite a bit between regions) and some of the artwork for the Japanese games is amazing.

I'm very fond of the Lynx, but I tend to stick to loose games. I occasionally get CIB or NOS games if they're going for in and around £10.

Amazing your friend got complete collections though. It always makes me wonder what the definition of "complete" is. I mean, everyone can put something on a cart and call it homebrew. But when is it considered to be essential for a "complete collection"? Any ideas?

That depends on personal definition. For him, a complete collection includes every official game released CIB, but no variants. He does earn pretty good money (although he is not really rich, but works a lot too) and is willing to pay for games if they are rare. The SMS is relatively cheap to collect for, with only a couple of titles worth several hundred Euros.

For the Virtual Boy he recently got some very rare game for 900 Euros.

He does not care about stuff like promotional material or anything beside the games though.

About Krazy Ace Miniature Golf: I wasn't even aware here was a retail version around back in the day. Telegames has it listed for pre-order, so it is likely reproduced officially occasionally, no? So you may not get the 1993 print-run, but still an "official" version.

Anyway, please show your collection, LX.NET. :) I am always willing to see more stuff, I am not that deep into what was available beside the official games list. There have also been screenshots for games, proving someone has a ROM, but there is no dump availabe. There must be some people not posting who have really good stuff.

Edited by 108 Stars

Definitely post LX.NET, it is always fun to see what variations people have and see what they consider the "holy grail" of their collections.

I consider my collection almost complete, I still need a complete Bubble Trouble. When I first started buying games for the Lynx I passed up a complete Bubble Trouble on eBay and have been kicking myself ever since. I have a cart, but no box or manual. Items I consider needed for a complete collection are "legit" releases. So no pirated copies or demo like was pointed out earlier. I do consider homebrews part of a complete collection.

I have enjoyed collecting for the Lynx, most of the games where easy and cheap to get, but there are enough rare ones to make it a fun challenge. Also like was pointed out earlier, it isn't like other systems where there are so many that it is nearly impossible to get a complete collection. I do hope the fan base grows. I think as the system gets older and people my age get nostalgic and get more discretionary funds you will see more fans buying the system they had wished they could get as kids.

Edited by MrBland

Definitely post LX.NET, it is always fun to see what variations people have and see what they consider the "holy grail" of their collections.

I consider my collection almost complete, I still need a complete Bubble Trouble. When I first started buying games for the Lynx I passed up a complete Bubble Trouble on eBay and have been kicking myself ever since. I have a cart, but no box or manual. Items I consider needed for a complete collection are "legit" releases. So no pirated copies or demo like was pointed out earlier. I do consider homebrews part of a complete collection.

I have enjoyed collecting for the Lynx, most of the games where easy and cheap to get, but there are enough rare ones to make it a fun challenge. Also like was pointed out earlier, it isn't like other systems where there are so many that it is nearly impossible to get a complete collection. I do hope the fan base grows. I think as the system gets older and people my age get nostalgic and get more discretionary funds you will see more fans buying the system they had wished they could get as kids.

We really scored some sweet items in that auction, didn't we? FWIW, that Bubble Trouble that I picked up came in the cheapest packaging that I've seen on an 'official' Lynx release. My real score in that auction was that proto (beta?) Fat Bobby with the built-in cheat, although it was nice to finally pick up Hyperdrome as well.