BASIC ABBUC NOMAM Competition

363 replies to this topic

#26 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 849 posts

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:43 PM

Hey Bill, save some ideas for next year's contest ;-)

#27 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 4,540 posts
  • Into Stampede

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 PM

What the... a game called Sijmen ;) Is that referring to Mr. Atari? What do we have to do there? Testing whether MyIDE will Blend or not?

Wahaha.

#28 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 849 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:48 AM

You got it, Pro. :-)

It's a SIMON (touch me) game.
And then I asked Sijmen if he would like it that I name my game after him.

Edited by Bunsen, Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:49 AM.

#29 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 849 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 AM

I think I have to score with some humor since my programming skills are way behind other contestants.

#30 Ripdubski OFFLINE  

Ripdubski

Stargunner

• 1,251 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:15 PM

I was working on one, and still will, but am finding it very difficult to get all i need done. I have my player movements, but still trying to fit objectives and score. Atari Basic. Fingers crossed.

#31 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,472 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:55 PM

Hello Ripdubski

You can use TurboBASIC, this year the contest isn't limited to Atari BASIC.

Sincerely

Mathy

#32 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,703 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:48 PM

You has longer lines. Atari Basic (and Turbo Basic XL) get maximum line lengths 3-lines. So, you has 6 letter more for each line (60 at all). Only few? Example: PL.0,0 - one instruction more in line.

Use of abbreviations, too.  There's a way to crunch the keywords you need down to one-letter abbreviations (and actually crash the syntax parser if you cram too many operations into the 120-character line limit IIRC)...but that would probably go against the rules.

#33 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• 7,469 posts
  • High Score Club Senior Executive

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:32 PM

I've been working on "Gwobby Micro" all day - yes he's back to BASIC, real BASIC! Just 1 pesky bug to fix   :twisted:

Gave me a day off from the assembler. First mistake was I typed LOAD #D:GWOBBY10.M65 without even realising it :!:

Interesting that after the 4K BASIC Contest (Keep on Koastin') where it was all about code size here it's all about line size...  I seem to have figured out some new dirty tricks to reference multiple lines based on values etc; this and using single letter variables has made the listing look like the latest form of encrytpion technology, not good for finding problems :-o Editing those extended lines is a pain too but It has squeezed in nicely in the end.

p.s. My friend bluecat will be attempting her 2nd Atari program following "Amazin'" in the 4K contest :)

#34 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 809 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:35 PM

Snow day means I started and finished an entry:

GozMind - My 10 liner for the NOMAM 2014 competition

It's a very simple Mastermind clone. I'm hoping to refactor it and fit in graphics instead of characters, but I don't know if that will be possible. It's a good starting point for me though.

gozmind.png

#35 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,263 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:13 PM

A compact way to store redefined characters is within strings, so an alternate chset setup might look a bit like:

FOR A=0 TO 15 : POKE CHSET+8+A,PEEK(ADR("dfieurijlkdfjlkd")+A) : NEXT A

Most values can be represented but you run into trouble with 155 (RETURN) and 34 (quote), but if they occur you can just put a space then poke in seperately further on.

Edited by Rybags, Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:13 PM.

#36 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 809 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 PM

A compact way to store redefined characters is within strings, so an alternate chset setup might look a bit like:

FOR A=0 TO 15 : POKE CHSET+8+A,PEEK(ADR("dfieurijlkdfjlkd")+A) : NEXT A

Most values can be represented but you run into trouble with 155 (RETURN) and 34 (quote), but if they occur you can just put a space then poke in seperately further on.

That looks pretty compact, but I am totally out of space. I need to refactor my solving procedure first.

#37 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,263 posts

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 PM

Can I assume that during the comp judging that the relevant version of Basic will be used?

ie - this one I've got in Atari Basic will probably be unplayable in a faster Basic, I've got a dummy maths calculation going on that serves as a delay as it is.

#38 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 849 posts

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:41 PM

Can I assume that during the comp judging that the relevant version of Basic will be used?

ie - this one I've got in Atari Basic will probably be unplayable in a faster Basic, I've got a dummy maths calculation going on that serves as a delay as it is.

Mmmh, it was thought that all programms will be run under TB XL . Try to use your calculation. If it is not possible and you run out of space (lines) we will run it under Atari Basic.

#39 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,263 posts

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:24 PM

Would be nice to be able to specify which to use.  Most realtime Basic games will rely on knowing the speed since it's impractical to have waits based on frame count.

#40 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 849 posts

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:44 PM

In original rules in german on abbuc.de I wrote: All programs will be run under TB XL. I don't know why i missed it in the translation in AA.

Since it is a fun contest and I missed to add this term here, we will run your program under Atari Basic if you want.

#41 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,472 posts

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:06 PM

Hello Rybags

Can't you use the PAUSE command?

Sincerely

Mathy

#42 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,263 posts

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:20 PM

Atari Basic doesn't have it... that's the issue, the first game I've got going assumes standard Basic.

I guess I can probably cater for both versions, just a case of putting into TBXL and doing some tuning.

#43 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

Quadrunner

• 7,469 posts
  • High Score Club Senior Executive

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 PM

Atari Basic doesn't have it... that's the issue, the first game I've got going assumes standard Basic.

I guess I can probably cater for both versions, just a case of putting into TBXL and doing some tuning.

I wrote mine in Atari BASIC too so will need to slow the delay loops. The game was about maxed out for speed and still playable, so now I can make it even harder  :evil:  

It will be nice if they are all in Turbo-BASIC so they can all go on the same disk :)

#44 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

River Patroller

• 2,472 posts

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 PM

Hello Rybags

That's why you have the dummy math routine. Since it's probably gonna run to fast in BASIC, I thought replacing it with PAUSE (followed by a number, which present the number of jiffies you want the pause to last) would be an option.

Sincerely

Mathy

#45 David_P ONLINE  

David_P

Dragonstomper

• 841 posts

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:24 PM

So, who's going to write a ten line text adventure?

#46 atari8warez OFFLINE  

atari8warez

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 PM

So, who's going to write a ten line text adventure?

Bill Kendrick ;)

#47 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 849 posts

Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 AM

10th game registered :thumbsup: I've never expected so much respond.

Jumpsheep by fdingler

Paddleship by Bill Kendrick

Sijmen by me

Squirrel by fdingler

Shmup by Bill Kendrick

Colfusion by Irgendwer

Planets by Bill Kendrick

Slice by Bill Kendrick

GozMind by gozar

Carrera by Daniel Serpell

#48 am1933 OFFLINE  

am1933

Stargunner

• 1,036 posts

Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:08 AM

10 print "A"

20 print "T"

30 print "A"

40 print "R"

50 print "I"

60 print "8"

70 print "0"

80 print "0"

90 print "X"

100 print "L"

If anybody needs instructions on how and what this 10 ten line basic program does-I will be delighted to provide full instructions. Don't be too upset if I can't get back to you straight away as I am currently hard at work converting this to assembly-so I will be very busy for the next couple of months.

#49 kenjennings ONLINE  

kenjennings

Dragonstomper

• 759 posts
  • Me + sio2pc-usb + 70 old floppies

Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:24 AM

10 print "A"

. . .

If anybody needs instructions on how and what this 10 ten line basic program does-I will be delighted to provide full instructions. . .

The joystick doesn't do anything.   Is this controlled by the keyboard?

#50 am1933 OFFLINE  

am1933

Stargunner

• 1,036 posts

Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:57 AM

The joystick doesn't do anything.   Is this controlled by the keyboard?

There have been some issues-I am de-bugging as we speak. With regards to keyboard or Joystick input-Neither of these are to be used, the code has actually been optimised for use with the Mindlink headset.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BASIC, ABBUC, NOMAM, Competition

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users