IGNORED

WAR work in progress for colecovision - biplanes & tanks

digress

Yeah I guess human vs computer will be necessary. Hard 2 always rope someone into playing on a classic system but the main focus is on just that getting 2 people playing on the same screen at the same time.

Plans included

-A.I.

-Destructive environment to some degree

-solid buildings so you have some cover for hunting each other

-randomize the layout of the levels

-proper death counters

-more sound

-2nd biplane style with no ground or gravity

The reason I am posting is for some suggestions within reason.

• Like 2

Yeah I guess human vs computer will be necessary. Hard 2 always rope someone into playing on a classic system but the main focus is on just that getting 2 people playing on the same screen at the same time.

Plans included

-A.I.

-Destructive environment to some degree

-solid buildings so you have some cover for hunting each other

-randomize the layout of the levels

-proper death counters

-more sound

-2nd biplane style with no ground or gravity

The reason I am posting is for some suggestions within reason.

excellent!

You could do fighting boats , armed humans mode, would be fun too

Maybe some kind of Missions mode

Just suggestions :)

I would suggest you to get a working game with the features you most like.

Once it is finished it will be seen if there is space for other features.

Agreed. It's surprising how quickly you can run out of cartridge ROM space.

Very nice work so far, by the way. :)

War screen capture003

War screen capture001

War screen capture002

Thanks for some feedback. I am determined to finish the project.

There won't be much room for many additions as I'm up around 26kb now out of 32kb but definitely a lot of refinement to the existing games.

The tanks were a great suggestion, I was originally just doing biplanes but that has added a real nice variety. It fit my existing engine pretty good only need a week or so to make the different physics work. I like the idea of an additional level/variety with soldiers. I may not have enough room though.

I'm going to finish up the 2 variations as they are and 1 additional option to have biplanes with no gravity or ground. My daughter found it too difficult and crashed constantly so basically a beginner version. I like the gravity and ground because they do make it difficult to fly and fight at the same time. She had no trouble with the tanks control though. Actually kicked my ass!.

So yeah there is gravity so it makes flying a bit more realistic than say looping where you move at a constant speed even if going up or down. similar to triple action on intellivision where you can stall and fall backwards to the ground.

Edited by digress

• 3 weeks later...

Updated ver 3 of my War game in Progress

tanks

biplanes

War screen capture001

Now has a destructive environment. This provides cover. But you can't hide for ever as you can blast through the buildings, obstacles.

New explosions. Other fixes I would only notice

Still have more to do.

-Tank will not be able to pass through trees & buildings unless they are first destroyed.

-Still some glitches with sprites disappearing.

-better sound (I haven't worked on the sound much at all)

Overall Much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IodoZ2DzH2M

• Like 5

Check out the updated video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IodoZ2DzH2M

The destructive environment was key for a tank game. And for hiding.

I was having a few problems that took forever to track down now have most functions working.

I'm adding more details and the solid buildings, trees and obstacles next. Some kick back when the tank fires. (I already put in a delay to account for the slow rloading tim of a tank). Then more screens/playfields to either choose from or to play on randomly. I haven't decided yet.

For the biplanes style I'm thinking of adding a level with obstacles in the air. I'm not sure exactly what I want but maybe tunnels? or bridges. Hmmm. Could use multiple screens/split screen and racing through tunnels against player 2.

Ahh I think I got it, biplanes duel to whatever number of deaths say first to get 7 kills. Then a 6 -10 screen race to the next battle field with the loser getting stuck on the runway for 3 seconds or so. And of course the same physics so you could kill off your opponent to get ahead in the race. Hard to do though without a split screen

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

The best dog-fighting experience I have had in video games was in Snoopy vs. The Red Baron on the PS2. Check out some videos for that. Had mountains with bridges to fly over or under, various planes, various weapons, and various environments. Granted that is too much for the ColecoVision, but it may give you some design ideas. It also allowed for multiple computer enemies to fight against with the same counter concept except instead of most to 10 it was most "kills" in 5, 10, or 15 minutes.

Troy

I figured it would be mentioned. I'll probably take that out and leave it neutral. I was reusing graphics from an earlier concept I made which was more of a WW2 strategy style. I don't like being too politically correct but I know I should stay away from those symbols.

Thanks. I am taking all suggestions and will apply some for sure.

You live in Germany, are you familiar with Freddy, apparently a popular folk singer at one time. I sold a record to a fellow in Germany a while back. It was half Germany & half English folk singing. Sounded pretty good, I made mp3 copy for myself.

Maybe you should keep out the WW2 symbols, or at least the one in the video, or else we will have a problem here in Germany in getting the game ^^

looks nice btw :)

Edited by digress

You can surely let it in the game, but you should keep it away from the box :D

The only singer which I know is Freddy Quinn, but I don't know if you mean him. It's some kind of folk music, but already several decades old.

Thanks, I am well versed in Wagner.

Have you ever played Return Fire on 3DO or Play Station?

Yep It will most likely be put in there. Very Appropriate.

Hey I've used digital sounds before in an earlier build but I had to stop the NMI while doing it. Someone mentioned a way to play the samples without stoping the action. How would I (best ) go about doing this from C.

Now, you need this "tune" in your game

• Like 1