IGNORED

What can I do with the Adam Link Modem Today (2014)?

ValkerieSilk

I've considered making and selling the adapter to let you plug two modems together without using the phone lines but not sure of the demand. Anyone else interested?

How many would you need to bother? I'm in for one, of course. I know others have wanted something like this in the past on the Vintage Computer forums. I'm sure we're not alone.

How many would you need to bother? I'm in for one, of course. I know others have wanted something like this in the past on the Vintage Computer forums. I'm sure we're not alone.

Not sure yet - Ill work on it today and see how much it would take to make them - I would like to avoid the use of the wal-wart - maybe use a 9V battery instead

I tried calling the Borderline BBS last July. The BBS answered then garbage characters printed nonstop on the screen for about a minute then we were disconnected.

It's cool you got thru to the Seattle BBS. I'll need to get things set up this weekend and give it a try.

Success!

I called several of the BBSes listed at The BBS Corner cited in the US & Canada Dial-up BBS Guide; four of them worked out for the ADAMLink for a 300 baud experience!

They are:

718-448-9402 -- Hidden Reef -- Staten Island, NY

602-955-4491 -- Heat Wave BBS -- Phoenix, AZ

-both of these are hosted on TI-99/4As; with Heat Wave, I think the default was ANSI graphics, which made it hard to see the screen. Just remember when the cursor stops moving to hit "N" for New User, and then when you get the chance through the sign-up process, turn off ANSI.

I also made accounts on:

717-898-6309 -- Retrodome -- Manheim, PA

-I didn't get very far with message boards as I think (unless I missed it) the only option are two on-line games, which wouldn't work with ADAM.

717-664-3735 -- A Missing Chromosome -- Lancaster, PA

-I put a check mark and a question mark beside this one -- can't recall, but I must have logged on and created an account, but maybe it didn't play nice the entire time.

Depending on the preference of the Sysop (real name or handle), I'm either Jason Bennett or The Evener.

Let's flood these guys with new accounts from ADAMLink users :)

I also wanted to ask -- could ADAM users with external serial port 2400 baud modems share their set-up, including what serial device they used (internal card slot, via the Expansion port, etc)?

I have a couple of serial port options, and I'm curious what others have done for ideas.

I got things set up tonight. I've called the Seattle BBS a few times and it is working great. The Heatwave prints out a couple lines of text then stops. With Hidden Reef, I get a carrier then get disconnected right away. I haven't tried the others yet.

I got things set up tonight. I've called the Seattle BBS a few times and it is working great. The Heatwave prints out a couple lines of text then stops. With Hidden Reef, I get a carrier then get disconnected right away. I haven't tried the others yet.

Heatwave also give me the few lines of text and then stopping last night as well. I hope it's a temporary problem that can be rectified.

Bill if you didnt see:

http://smartbasic.net/2016/01/24/null-phone-adapters-for-sale/

You can replace the 9v with a wal-wart,

Great, I just ordered one. Would something like this work?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/9V-Battery-Snap-Connector-AC-Adapter-for-MN1604-Loop-Station-Guitar-Pedal-/161806009100

Mine's on the way and should be here any day now. Not sure what my plans are for it yet, but I'm tired of waiting to long for cool stuff and being told that I just missed the end of a run and they won't be made anymore, blah blah blah. I've got the worst luck for that!

Okay, wow! Just catching up to all this experimentation with data transfer. I can see clearly now! Thanks Milli V for all your work on this... I'm thinking about purchasing one of your modem adapters, but how would I set up my crappy ol' Windows machine to think that it's sending and receiving on the modem?

EDIT: Just read posts #36 and #37 and I think I comprehend. :D This old VAIO laptop I use just for Windows stuff has a 56k modem built in. I suppose I'd have to configure it to work on 2400 baud to transmit the data. I'll research smartbasic.net.

Maybe one day I'll put together a nice PDF document that outlines all of the modern ADAM technical how-tos with clarity!

Edited by phattyboombatty

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this:

Borderline BBS can now accept calls from 300 baud users! Andrew, Borderline sysop, diagnosed a script error and let me know that I should try it again, and it works! It would be great to see a few of you on there:

951-652-1690 Borderline BBS, Hemet CA

This is all cool and good. However...

I bought an ADAMLink Modem and MilliV's null modem adapter thinking I could start the process of data transfer between my ADAM and my PC. Turns out that my Slot 1 is taken up by my Fox Micro/ADAMCon IDE package. I thought that the ADAMLink Modem went to the external expansion slot! DOH! :woozy:

Therefore, I'd have to disassemble my IDE rig to insert my modem, and I'd have to use the ADAMLink Modem software loaded up via my Data Drive. Well, that's no fun! Just surprised that no one mentioned that. I guess Milli V just ordered his IDE package and was using a traditional ADAM setup.

In summary, I just wanted people to know about this and understand that ADAM's internal Slot 1 is taken by the IDE rig, then you'll have no place to install an ADAMLink Modem. Because years ago, NIAD provided inspiration for the SGM's outer casing by using the Modem as a model, I always thought that the modem went to the external Expansion Interface.

Actually, the SGM was based on the Auto Dialer which does fit into the side expansion port...not the modem which plugs in internally.

In summary, I just wanted people to know about this and understand that ADAM's internal Slot 1 is taken by the IDE rig, then you'll have no place to install an ADAMLink Modem. Because years ago, NIAD provided inspiration for the SGM's outer casing by using the Modem as a model, I always thought that the modem went to the external Expansion Interface.

Ahhh, well thank you, jblenkle, for clarifying that! I guess the case style looked similar to me, and thus I got confused.

Point still stands though, that the ADAMLink Modem cannot be used simultaneously with the IDE card package.

So… does the auto-dialer have a built-in modem, or do the two expansion pieces go together?

You're testing my failing memory...as I recall, the Auto Dialer was only that. Not actually a modem, it just dialed the phone for you. You plugged the phone line into the front of it. The supplied software was an Address Book to which you could enter names, addresses and phone numbers. If you wanted to call someone, you simply chose the entry and selected "Dial". It was probably actually faster just to dial the phone yourself, but hey, it was the ADAM!!!!

The modem and auto dialer were shaped kind of the same. They just plugged in different places.

Ahhh, well thank you, jblenkle, for clarifying that! I guess the case style looked similar to me, and thus I got confused.

Point still stands though, that the ADAMLink Modem cannot be used simultaneously with the IDE card package.

So… does the auto-dialer have a built-in modem, or do the two expansion pieces go together?

Here's a video I made a couple years ago of the AutoDialer with Address Book Filer software. It uses pulse dialing and a noticable "click" sound can be heard from both the autodialer and the phone speaker. One click for each digit in the phone number.

Edited by ed1475

Cool blast from the past!!! I know I had one of those at one time when they originally came out, but I don't think I ever used it. I would be tempted to pick one up now just for nostalgia reasons.

Here's a video I made a couple years ago of the AutoDialer with Address Book Filer software. It uses pulse dialing and a noticable "click" sound can be heard from both the autodialer and the phone speaker. One click for each digit in the phone number.

Thanks for posting that, Ed -- I had never seen an Autodialer in action before, and didn't have any idea what slot it used.

I'm still scratching my head about the development of that particular peripheral; I guess it was imagined that Coleco families would be consulting the Address Book for contact info, so why not add a direct dial option from it? I guess my main confusion is that most people didn't have hands-free phones at home, unless this was imagined more specifically as an office peripheral. I imagine it would have been quite the impressive phone line set up to have both Auto Dialer and the ADAMLink modem all hooked up and ready to go BITD!