IGNORED

Grading the SGM So Far

VectorGamer

The SGM is like CV's own 32X, except nowhere near as good as the 32X. Soon I'm going to release my new Super SGM X for CV. There are zero games for it. It's the ultimate CV collectable.

If you really stop to consider things, the SGM is already better supported with game releases than the Expansion Module #2 and Roller Controller.

• Like 7

But we still need Ed's version of Donkey Kong, for a lot of people that's the main reason for buying the SGM.

We now have two sets of SGM customers. Those waiting for an SGM and those waiting on DKA.

I guess I'm kind of in the opposite boat as Tempest. I don't have an Adam or an MSX. So I've been pleased with what has been released for the SGM. I could just emulate a lot of the games, but then I could just emulate ColecoVision games too, eliminating the need for any hardware. I guess everyone has their own line that they draw when it comes to ports.

Since people are still waiting on SGMs, I don't even know if we're at a point to start asking about DKA.

I never really understood this modern clamor for new arcade ports for the CV, even Pac Man Collection or DKA. People are just going to go, "yeah that's neat" then go right back to playing the game on MAME. No matter how hard you work on it, you're unlikely to top the actual arcade ROM on MAME, so what's the point. I'm much more interested in seeing original, exclusive games than ports of arcade games, no matter how accurate.

• Like 3

I never really understood this modern clamor for new arcade ports for the CV, even Pac Man Collection or DKA. People are just going to go, "yeah that's neat" then go right back to playing the game on MAME. No matter how hard you work on it, you're unlikely to top the actual arcade ROM on MAME, so what's the point. I'm much more interested in seeing original, exclusive games than ports of arcade games, no matter how accurate.

I'm in the same camp as you. However, it seems that the sales numbers don't back up our preference. Even when it comes to homebrews, people tend to buy more of what they're already familiar with. When I do appreciate a conversion of a common title, it's when it goes above and beyond to offering something more than just the base game, be it additional titles on the same cart, remixed levels, new levels, etc.

• Like 1

Not everyone is a fan of MAME. Arcade ports can bring something unique to the experience, especially since the arcade game was created to eat quarters, and the home versions are usually a tad more forgiving. That said, I usually prefer just one console per game. But that too seems to be a minority preference around here.

You just don't get it. For those of us who actually had a Colecovision as kids it's about fulfilling unfulfilled desires we had back then, of seeing the games we always wanted to play on our CV's finally happen. I waited 30 years just to play games like Tunnels & Trolls (Dungeon & Trolls) and Sidetrack because when I got my CV in 1982 for Christmas they were advertised on the back of the box. I waited and waited and they NEVER got released. There are are many other console ports I always wished for on the CV just to see if they looked better on the CV because from 1982-1987 it was the BEST console out there. Period. Is CV the best console port of Pac-Man? Arguably not, but I don't care. When I play it on the CV I want to play the Coleco translation irregardless of whether or not it compares to the original arcade version. I'd actually be disappointed if it was a perfect imitation. I expect it to have the Coleco look, sound and style I'm accustomed to. If I want a perfect arcade-copy, I'll play the MAME. When I'm playing Colecovision, I want to play the goddamn Coleco version.

Edited by Tron Unit
  • Like 6

I don't have a CV or SGM but I did have an Adam. This is how I look at it.
Without extra RAM it would be impossible to port most MSX games to the CV and converting sound from one chip to another is very tedious at best.
The list of titles that have already been converted isn't bad at all when you consider how much work is involved.
Without the SGM that list might only be one or two titles. That alone made the SGM worth creating.

I'd rather buy arcade ports because I know what I'm buying. I don't buy original games because it's too risky (at that price) for me to buy something that may be a turd.

I'm in the same camp as you. However, it seems that the sales numbers don't back up our preference. Even when it comes to homebrews, people tend to buy more of what they're already familiar with. When I do appreciate a conversion of a common title, it's when it goes above and beyond to offering something more than just the base game, be it additional titles on the same cart, remixed levels, new levels, etc.

I also like the idea of classic titles that go above and beyond just the original game, like Donkey Kong on the Game Boy, Jumpman Lives on the PC, Pac Man Remix. I think using classic game characters/gameplay but with newly designed, exclusive levels like DK Gameboy, would satisfy both camps and sell well. It seems like there's TONs of cool concepts waiting to be explored yet are completely neglegted in favor of another straight arcade port, often of a game that's already on every platform.

You just don't get it. For those of us who actually had a Colecovision as kids it's about fulfilling unfulfilled desires we had back then, of seeing the games we always wanted to play on our CV's finally happen. I waited 30 years just to play games like Tunnels & Trolls (Dungeon & Trolls) and Sidetrack because when I got my CV in 1982 for Christmas they were advertised on the back of the box. I waited and waited and they NEVER got released. There are are many other console ports I always wished for on the CV just to see if they looked better on the CV because from 1982-1987 it was the BEST console out there. Period. Is CV the best console port of Pac-Man? Arguably not, but I don't care. When I play it on the CV I want to play the Coleco translation irregardless of whether or not it compares to the original arcade version. I'd actually be disappointed if it was a perfect imitation. I expect it to have the Coleco look, sound and style I'm accustomed to. If I want a perfect arcade-copy, I'll play the MAME. When I'm playing Colecovision, I want to play the goddamn Coleco version.

I got a CV for Xmas 1982 and an ADAM a few years after that, had every game released on cart or datapack plus unreleased protos/demos I got from my ADAM user group, SA controllers, roller controller, steering wheel. I get it.

Yep. Finishing and releasing the games that were supposed to be originally released for the ColecoVision is what does it for me too. Somewhere in my unconscious is a kid who has been waiting a looooong time for these to become available to play.

Of course, I won't say no to a version of an existing game with more levels (e.g. Mr. Do, Front Line, Zaxxon, Donkey Kong Jr., ...). If it can be done without the SGM, great. If it requires the SGM, then I guess that's the way it has to be.

I also like the idea of classic titles that go above and beyond just the original game, like Donkey Kong on the Game Boy, Jumpman Lives on the PC, Pac Man Remix. I think using classic game characters/gameplay but with newly designed, exclusive levels like DK Gameboy, would satisfy both camps and sell well. It seems like there's TONs of cool concepts waiting to be explored yet are completely neglegted in favor of another straight arcade port, often of a game that's already on every platform.

There's other examples like Ms. Pac-Man (INTV), D2K Arcade (INTV) and Vector Pilot (Vectrex): all those games gave you the play of the arcade game with extras like new levels, options etc. All three are great games.

• Like 2