Telnet Lantronix WiFi Internet Router

14 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 13,766 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:40 AM

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone has the information I'm looking for.  I currently have a Lantronix UDS-10 plugged into my classic computer's RS-232 port on one side, and an Ethernet cable going directly to my router on the other.  While this works, and gets my classic computer on the Internet, I'd like to 'cut the cord' so-to-speak.

Does anyone know of a WiFi device with an RJ-45 on one end to essentially replace the cable?  Does anything like this exist?  I'd be able to get the old computer into another room without drilling holes in the house or stringing cables.

Thanx!

Attached Thumbnails

• My UDS-10.JPG

#2 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Gridrunner

• 16,023 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:11 AM

You can get RJ45 Wifi dongles, but no idea if it'll work with your setup.

#3 The Usotsuki ONLINE  

The Usotsuki

River Patroller

• 2,043 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:21 AM

Edimax access point?

#4 Hatta OFFLINE  

Hatta

Stargunner

• 1,342 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 AM

What you are looking for is a wifi bridge.  Since you're already working with ethernet, buy the same device you would for modern equipment.   A cheap router with openwrt/tomato is an excellent choice, but they make dedicated bridge devices too if you're not up to configuring your own.

#5 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,766 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:35 AM

You can get RJ45 Wifi dongles, but no idea if it'll work with your setup.

Yeah, I've seen some for PS2's and stuff like that, but I have no clue if it'll work with the Lantronix device.  Also, it'll have to be WPA2 compliant to work with my router.  I figured if there is a group of people that still use the UDS-10, it'll be people with classic computers.

#6 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,766 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:39 AM

Edimax access point?

I'm not sure if a range extender is what is needed.  The Lantronix works connected directly into the router just fine, so all I think I need is a device that replaces the cable and uses Wifi instead.  I'm assuming that once the security is setup, it *SHOULD* work, but the Lantronix has it's own IP number.  Wouldn't the dongle also have to have it's IP number to communicate with the router?  If so, how would that work?

#7 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,766 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:40 AM

What you are looking for is a wifi bridge.  Since you're already working with ethernet, buy the same device you would for modern equipment.   A cheap router with openwrt/tomato is an excellent choice, but they make dedicated bridge devices too if you're not up to configuring your own.

Do you have a link I could go to to read up more on the specific device?  Thanks!

#8 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,766 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:49 AM

This looks like it might work?  What do you guys think?

http://dx.com/p/hx80...ra-white-229991

sku_229991_1.jpg

#9 The Usotsuki ONLINE  

The Usotsuki

River Patroller

• 2,043 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:57 AM

Ah, no, no, the Edimax access point I was referring to works wifi-to-wifi, eth-to-wifi and wifi-to-eth.  I just use it as wifi-to-eth.

#10 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,766 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 AM

Ah, no, no, the Edimax access point I was referring to works wifi-to-wifi, eth-to-wifi and wifi-to-eth.  I just use it as wifi-to-eth.

Okay, thanks.

#11 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,913 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:44 PM

any  sort of wifi to wireless bridge should work, I have a model that  was sold as a music bridge, but it totally sucked and have used it on my xbox to my 386

#12 RobertB OFFLINE  

RobertB

Dragonstomper

• 750 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:05 PM

For the Commodore 64/128/VIC-20, there is the Comet+ Internet Modem (which has Wi-fi).  Go to http://cometplus.net/

In prototype testing but has been

used in places like Starbucks,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://videocam.net.au/fcug

#13 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,877 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:07 PM

It's easy with a Linksys 54G router with dd-wrt firmware.  The wireless part of the router basically acts in reverse (when properly setup).  You can even (borrow) your neighbor's wireless :)

#14 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

Quadrunner

• 5,217 posts

Posted Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:51 PM

Get a cheap T-Link at Wallyworld.  They can operate in different modes, one of which is a wifi-ethernet bridge.  Around $25 when I got mine while back.  Use them with blue ray players that just have wired port in them.

#15 Seob OFFLINE  

Seob

River Patroller

• 2,508 posts

Posted Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:40 AM

I have a netgear wn3000rp range extender.
It has a rj45 port so you can make wired devices wireless.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Telnet, Lantronix, WiFi, Internet, Router

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users