IGNORED

Season 3 / Week 3 ~ The NEW HSC ~ Vanguard (Game 1)

Vocelli

matt: one thing that helps me a lot in the horizontal stages is to stay way back to the left, it's easier to dodge their shots that way.

Funny because I never saw it in the arcades. Never even knew it was a coin-op until recent years (found it for MAME). I owned the cartridge back in the day and played the hell out of it thinking "damn, Atari came up with a great original title for the 2600!"

Me too!

Oh yeah, great arcade game. It had 4 firing buttons, which was pretty unusual, and synthesized voice that would announce the stages. PLUS (as S.BAZ pointed out on page one) they lifted a sample of Vultan's Theme from Queen's excellent soundtrack of Flash Gordon for the invincibility powerup.

I was admittedly a huge fan of Queen, and of Flash Gordon the movie. If you've seen that part of the Seth McFarlane movie Ted you know where I'm coming from with that.

I like DT Kofoed's goal to break 100K. I think I want to do that, too. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's my default goal for games like this that I'm rubbish at. Took me a couple days to crack Defender, at which point I realized I could roll that one. Something about 100K psychologically eggs me on, first to reach, then to blow past. This game... yeah, that's all I'm looking to do [until I reach it, at which point I want MOOOOOARRRE].

• Like 1

you get your last bonus life at 100K

be sure to let those worms chomp on your ship a couple of times, it gives you lots of points, I think 2000.

but if I remember right, letting them bite a 3rd time kills you, so I only let them do it twice each time around.

I played a game today and for the first time made it to 100K on 1 life! but unfortunately 6 ships is the most it will let you have, so I didn't get my last bonus. ...eventually bit it at 306K

RATS!

post-34560-0-00340200-1395217233_thumb.jpg

post-34560-0-48750200-1395217251_thumb.jpg

post-34560-0-55695200-1395217271_thumb.jpg

post-34560-0-47268300-1395217287_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.mediafire.com/?i5k56p37v0dmswu

VERY OFFTOPIC BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENED ON YARS REVENGE AFTER I SHOT THE MAN IN THE BARRIER WHEN HE TURNED RED AND SHOT OUT AT ME I SHOT HIM WITH THE MISSILE I HAD ALL LIVES THEN IT TOOK MY TO THE SCORE PAGE IN THE PIC PROVIDED AND I LOST 3 LIVES WHEN I NEVER DIED AND IT JUST SHOWS LETTERS NO POINTS WTF MANNNN

First, no need to scream.

Second, that is the Easter Egg screen. It only occurs if you hit the Swirl in flight with your zorlon cannon and then place your Yars on the black vertical line that appears during the explosion where the Swirl was. It does crash the game, so if you hit the Swirl in flight fly far to the left to avoid this crash.

Third, this is a thread about High Scores on Vanguard. So you are right, WAY off topic.

• Like 4

Made it through the second striped level for the first time - thanks a lot to StanJr's tips!

...only to die in a very stupid and even more avoidable way in the horizontal shooting stage...

New score: 58,850.

I'm losing two bonus points by posting this, because I had two 4's in my older score. You good players, see that you break the 500k threshold, pretty pretty please? :-D

post-34656-0-77251600-1395248975_thumb.png

• Like 3

This game has me playing with too much adrenaline. I would like to just relax and survive. Instead, I end up like the 'before' guy on an antiperspirant commercial.

When I got to 140,000, I thought I would at least get one bonus point for this. Then I hit the snake level and the points kept rolling. Now, if I don't beat this, I'll need somebody to score 500,000 to get a couple of bonus points.

post-26187-0-00098800-1395433737_thumb.jpg

• Like 3