IGNORED

Need help using my TI99

Charlie_

I don't really remember much about how to use my TI-99. I have a PEB with the memory expansion and a DSDD (360K) drive installed in it.

I use a windows98 PC and ti99-pc to write images to floppy disks. I have an old Adaptec scsi card in the pc that has a floppy controller on it.

It can do SD disks, no troubles.

So, I use ti99-pc to make disks for Munch Man II and Bandit. The process goes OK, and I can catalog them with TI99-PC and I see the files on the floppies.

TI99-pc says they are both 180K DSSD disks.

When I put the disks in the PEB with Extended basic cart, I boo the system and the disk light goes on but I'm only greeted with the Basic prompt.

I tried to catalog the disks using my Disk Manager cart, but it is version 1.0 and I don't think it works with double sided disks...(?)

I have an editor assembler cart, but I don't know how to use it really...

I'll attach the DSK files here in a zip. Maybe someone can be so kind as to look at them and tell me how I might get them running on my TI?

Thanks.

MM2 and Bandit DSK.zip

I don't really remember much about how to use my TI-99. I have a PEB with the memory expansion and a DSDD (360K) drive installed in it.

I use a windows98 PC and ti99-pc to write images to floppy disks. I have an old Adaptec scsi card in the pc that has a floppy controller on it.

So, I use ti99-pc to make disks for Munch Man II and Bandit. The process goes OK, and I can catalog them with TI99-PC and I see the files on the floppies.

When I put the disks in the PEB with Extended basic cart, I boo the system and the disk light goes on but I'm only greeted with the Basic prompt.

I tried to catalog the disks using my Disk Manager cart, but it is version 1.0 and I don't think it works with double sided disks...(?)

I'll attach the DSK files here in a zip. Maybe someone can be so kind as to look at them and tell me how I might get them running on my TI?

Thanks.

For the Bandit disk, use the Extended Basic Cartridge. At the Extended Basic prompt, type RUN "DSK1.LOADBAND" and press enter to run the program.

For the Munchman ll disk, use the E/A cart. Press 5, and press enter at the prompt. This will load DSK1.UTIL1 and run the program.

Let us know if you're successful.

Gazoo

Thanks.

Is your disk controller TI? or Myarc/Corcomp?

Try formatting the disks on the TI and then copying the files on the PC to them. The PC drive may format them in a way the TI can't read. The TI controller is capable of max Double Sided/Single Density

Any disk manager will catalog any disk as long as the controller can read it. The catalog program in the disk controller manual will work in extended basic.

http://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets%20and%20manuals/Hardware/Texas%20Instruments/PHP1800%20Disk%20Drive%20Controller/Disk_Memory_System.pdf (page 25)

Best disk manager is DM2K, also on whtech in the fkaal directory or off his webpage..

Greg

For the Bandit disk, use the Extended Basic Cartridge. At the Extended Basic prompt, type RUN "DSK1.LOADBAND" and press enter to run the program.

For the Munchman ll disk, use the E/A cart. Press 5, and press enter at the prompt. This will load DSK1.UTIL1 and run the program.

Gazoo

If you don't have an EA cart you can use a EA loader for Extended Basic to load it.. There are a few out there.. Funnlweb is a good easy choice.

Greg

When you choose Extended BASIC, it looks for a file called LOAD on Drive 1. If not found it goes to the cursor, where you can then type OLD and the program name and then type RUN after it reads in from disk.

You can rename any EXB program as LOAD and it will autoboot or you can add a small loader program which you name as LOAD and it will bring up a disk directory for you to choose from. There's many variations of EXB LOAD programs, my favorite is called BOOT, which is an assembly EA5 program that includes an EXB loader.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Gazoo

Thanks! Also to everyone else who replied.

Got them working nice.

So, now I have this thing out and running, is there any other more recent games I could create disks to play?

Check out this site:

http://tigameshelf.net/

Thanks. Made a whole bunch of disks and have been enjoying this TI99.

I have a question about one game though... I can't get it started.

Astro Fighter, here: http://tigameshelf.net/Files/Emu/Astroft.dsk

It says ASTROFGT (E/A option 3) Enter START when asked for program name

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I couldn't get it working.

Could someone tell me how to get the game running?

It is START, but you should be more specific about "not get it working".

BTW, tigameshelf delivers this file wrongly by text/html MIME type, not application/octet-string as would be appropriate. This can be defined in the webserver's conf file. I wondered why I get the file as a dump in my browser.

It is START, but you should be more specific about "not get it working".

BTW, tigameshelf delivers this file wrongly by text/html MIME type, not application/octet-string as would be appropriate. This can be defined in the webserver's conf file. I wondered why I get the file as a dump in my browser.

I start E/A cart press 3, type START and get IO error code 0

OK, I got Astro Fighter working.

I start the E/A cart and press 3, then type DSK1.ASTRFGT

It loads for a few seconds and then I choose BACK

press 4 and enter START and the game runs.

:thumbsup:

Yep! You can also just press enter with a blank entry at the "FILE NAME" prompt (after loading the first file) to get to the "PROGRAM NAME?" prompt! Saves one step. :)

It's actually application/octet-stream. This has been fixed. Thanks for the tip :)

ehm ...yes, octet-stream, sure. :)

Many of these web server issues (concerning the download of files like disk images etc.) can be cleared up with a little server config work ... glad that it helped.

I doesn't look like I have direct access to the server config file. I have to go through the Earthlink Control Center to set some of the parameters. Not sure if this is a security issue.

If you do not know the name of a EA 3 Program to type in the name and START does not work, then use RXB as it shows all the PROGRAM names for you.

It also shows all the routines installed in the EA.