IGNORED

Three.s - Homebrew

Thomas Jentzsch

Hello - late to the topic I know - but I have a question:

Since the hardware limitations means displaying tiles of high multiples (768 or 1,536 for example) is impossible, what on these screenshots of the otal scores indicates those high value tiles?

Edited by MegaManFan

The numbers are simply increasing instead of doubling and starting with 0 instead of 3 (or: n' == 3*2^n :)). So...

0 = 3

1 = 6

2 = 12

3 = 24

4 = 48

5 = 96

6 = 192

7 = 384

8 = 768

9 = 1536

10 = 3072

11 = 6144

(though I had to cheat a bit on the two digit ones)

The current highest tile is always displayed in yellow.

• Like 1

The numbers are simply increasing instead of doubling and starting with 0 instead of 3 (or: n' == 3*2^n :)). So...

0 = 3

1 = 6

2 = 12

3 = 24

4 = 48

5 = 96

6 = 192

7 = 384

8 = 768

9 = 1536

10 = 3072

11 = 6144

(though I had to cheat a bit on the two digit ones)

The current highest tile is always displayed in yellow.

Oh! That makes perfect sense - and is the most obvious solution to boot. I commend you sir!

I'd love to see this on a cart when the round of beta is done - I'll pick it up from the AA store. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas, have you seen the latest update to Threes? Now when there is an upcoming tile more valuable than the 3 tile, instead of a "plus" tile, you see three tiles, like 6, 12 and 24. If the possible tiles are based on the largest tile already on the table, then this is nothing new for good players, but for those like me who don't pay that close attention, the new feature makes the game slightly easier.

I don't imagine showing three more numbered tiles is feasible in this version, but I figured I'd call it out in case you're trying to match the original game as closely as possible.

No, I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, the possible '+' tiles are based on the highest tile on the table (for THREE.S it is: 1 <= + <= max. tile - 3). If only three tiles are displayed in preview now, then this could mean that the a '+' tile is not selected from all possible '+' tiles anymore. This would make the game less random and therefore a bit easier (or fair), especially for higher tiles.

The comment in the Android app store seems to confirm that:

We’ve changed how the “+” card works with the hopes of making the higher levels of play more fair and less luck based. Let us know what you think by messaging us at @ThreesGame !

But I haven't found any screen shot showing the new feature yet.

I suppose Al would kill me if I would even consider to add this feature now. :)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Thanks! Now this immediately raises at least three questions:

• What happens if your biggest tile is 48 or 96? Only one or two preview tiles?
  • Are the three next tiles always consecutive?
  • Are the three next tiles still random, or always the three highest currently possible ones?

I know you need at least 384 to check that. Thanks in advance!

Thanks! Now this immediately raises at least three questions:

What happens if your biggest tile is 48 or 96? Only one or two preview tiles?

Yep. With a 48 on the board, you see a 6 in the "next" box during a plus event. With a 96 on the board, you see a 6 and a 12.

Are the three next tiles always consecutive?

Are the three next tiles still random, or always the three highest currently possible ones?

With a 384 on the board, I've seen both 12-24-48 and 6-12-24 in the "next" box. So the answers here appear to be "yes" and "still random". Admittedly I don't get 384's as often as I'd like and I haven't paid that close attention until now. I'll keep an eye out as I play in case any non-consecutive displays pop up.

Thanks a lot. If the tiles are consecutive, then the current display version could be reused and just display one of the numbers.

I've hit 384 a time or two more and still I've seen only consecutive tiles. I'll keep watch.

Correct.

attachicon.gifThrees_carts.jpg

Oh dear...

Well, there's always Three.s Platinum Edition. ;)

:lolblue: