IGNORED

INTV Best Game of All Times - Round 1 - 11/25 (adventure)

vprette

What is the best game in the list  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Vote the best game from the following list

• AD&D (Mattel)
    • Tutankham (Parker - Konami)
    • Swords & serpents (Imagic)
    • Venture (Coleco - Exidy)
    • Tower of Doom (Intv)
  2. 2. Vote the best arcade conversion from the following list

• Tutankham (Parker - Konami)
    • Venture (Coleco - Exidy)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is a pool to vote the best games ever for Intellivision :-)

There will be several pool of 5 titles each to cover the following categories:

- Best game of all time

- Best sport game

- Best shoot'em up

- Best arcade conversion

- Best producer

Sport and shoot'em up have a specific category because of the many representative titles.

Arcade games have a specific category since it was a must of that time to port games from the arcade to console, and I remember all the magazines evaluation the power of the consoles by comparing the conversions :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventure games!

I bet this is the most difficult pool so far...

Mattel-Advanced-Dungeons-And-Dragons.jpgParker-Tutankham.jpgImagic-Swords-And-Serpents.jpg

Coleco-Venture.jpgINTV-Tower-Of-Doom.jpg

I agree, all three of those adventure games are awesome. I had to go w/ Tower of Doom though.

For the arcade port, I chose Tutankham because it's just more 'epic' seeming than Venture. That's not based on faithfulness of the port or anything, just that the game feels a lot bigger.

You're killing me ... having to decide between AD&D, Tower of Doom and S&S. Love all three ...

Next thing you know, you're going to be asking which of my children I love the most ... geesh!

I know... but we have to do this sooner or later :-)

and I didn't add Tarmin here!!!

Edited by vprette

While I really like TOD and S&S, Cloudy Mountain is the winner for me. My son loves watching me play this game.

that game was scaring me! with dark tunnel to highlight.... a new universe of gameplay at the time... the other come later, very good games but somehow did not introduce new magic in my life

Edited by vprette

AD&D all the way. Perhaps my favourite game of all time. A little bit Action Role Playing, a little bit of Survival Horror, all awesomeness.

The button to count the arrows with clicks is so classy and useful, similarly the colour coding for the mountains and game map is easy to grasp… A masterpiece of interface design.

While others were worried with arcade conversions and score chasing, the geniuses at Mattel were laying the foundations for home console gaming. I wonder if Miyamoto knew about this game when he designed the Legend of Zelda.

I have to say... after 12 pools... so many good games for this console!!!

and still many more to post!!

That's one thing about the Intellivision that's always stood out to me (in my extremely biased opinion). Every platform has its share of great games, but the Intellivision library has a very high 'great game density'. By this, I mean:

• There is a low amount of highly similar (derivative) games
  • There is a great amount of truly original, in some cases groundbreaking games
  • The overall quality of the library is high - the set of bad games is small in proportion to the entire library

Maybe these polls are skewing to include the better games first? But just think about all the titles that are not yet in any polls and consider already the number of truly difficult votes you've had to cast. There are plenty more tough choices coming.

• Like 1

Took me 10 minutes to decide between cloudy mountain and Tower of Doom Love them both . I picked Tower of Doom . I am embarrassed to say I haven't play much Swords a Serpents So don't know much about it. Those who do play Swords and Serpents do you play one or two player?

You can play Swords & Serpents as one or two player.

When solo, if you want to find the Easter Egg in the game, you need to master the art of being able to walk through walls. ;) When you have the wizard as a companion, it's a touch easier, though once you get to the secret room, that's it. There's no escape.

• Like 1

- Well put Fushek & Intvsteve!

You are killing me with this one. I can't begin to tell you how much I love all 3 AD&D games (1 not included here I know) & Swords & Serpents. I eliminated S&S 1st only because of what I consider to be a flaw in ending of game - didn't do it as a kid but did it in like 1992 - mapped out all 4 levels and finally got to the big dragon using the "destroy walls" spell to get through 5 layers of wall only to find out that you could not slay dragon:-( My understanding was that there was not enough memory left to establish a true ending for the game - at least for me this was a big miss. That said anyone have an extra S&S Imagic poster please PM me:-) That left Tower of Doom which despite loving 1st time I got when came out, had to go with original AD&D as I "begged" for this game and played the hell out of it when I got home from school. Also just recently beat all 4 levels of this one within the last month.

• Like 1

Not sure how many S&S posters out there - anyone got one? Also anyone have 1 for sale or trade? Was it definitely made?

Glad poster said Tutankham not so good because I really have no clue on that one and went with Venture by default. I think it is my favorite of the Coleco games which I guess is the same as being the tallest midget:-)

Oh yeah - forgot about the collapsing doors - its been a while. You have to time well or better yet use the "speed" potion from the wizard. And yes, this is a 2 player game - as 1 player all you can do is explore but you will NOT be able to get into the Dragon's Lair on 4th level without his destroy walls ability. If I'm wrong on this aspect, please correct me because it would be news to me. Anyone remember the 1st time they got down to final level 4 and read that 1st scroll that locked you in the room for the remainder of game - brilliant lol:-) One nice thing about game is they gave you 9 lives while needing 2 hits to die if I remember and wizard could heal you if he had that spell. Overall very nice 2-player game that allowed for 1 player exploration/mapping. I actually mapped out last 3 floors (1st one in manual) & then 1st got to the dragon with an old girlfriend playing role of wizard - insert jokes here:-)

• Like 1

There's actually a technique my best friend and I discovered BITD where a warrior *can* get into the dragon's lair. When you walk diagonally backwards, you can sometimes slither through a corner. You have to hit the corner at a perfect angle. To get to the dragon, this requires you maintain perfect directional control all the way through. I know because I actually did it. :D But once you're into the dragon's lair, you will not get out.

I do know of at least one confirmed original copy of the poster.

• Like 1

I love AD&D, but Tower of Doom got my vote. It can be frustrating, but it's a far more ambitious game, and offers one heck of a challenge if you play as a weaker character. I think TOD has been hurt by the fact that no one's done a really good FAQ for the game; a lot of things about it are still cryptic.

Intvsteve, thanks for confirming the poster and thanks so much for sharing this "technique" wirh entering the dragon's lair - definitely did NOT know that - thank you again! Do you know from which corner you have to do from? Definitely will have to try - this basically makes it officially a harder 1-player game as you can get to dragon after collecting all treasures without the benefit of all the wizard's spells. Thanks again for info!