IGNORED

Simple & Useful Project - For your P-Box

Omega-TI

Ok, I'm about to place my order, and I just want to make absolutely sure I'm correct about a few things before I go ahead.

Is it correct that for the Geneve, I need to decode the AMA, AMB, and AMC signals as 1/1/1? And those values should also still be present on a TI, since the Flex Cable Interface card pulls all these lines up?

Is there anything else at all that's tricky about using cards with the Geneve that I need to know?

Great! It will be great to get that valuable feedback, Ksarul, on all your different systems.

Just re-ran the VHDL compilation with those new signals. The great thing about using programmable logic is that it can always be changed after the fact!

The parts for the 3 initial prototypes should be on order here shortly.

While the normal TI does not bother about AMA/AMB/AMC, the Geneve has a mapper that expands the address space up to 19 bit. Accordingly, if you do not test against 1/1/1, the synthesizer will be mirrored in other memory locations.

The Flex Cable Interface of the TI sets AMA/AMB/AMC to 1 (hardcoded). So you can safely test against 1/1/1 without considering whether this is a TI or Geneve.

Ok, the parts for the first three prototypes are on order. You guys can officially start getting excited about this! :)

Edit: I literally JUST got this email:

Hi! We had some free room on one of our Super Swift Service panels,
so we took the opportunity to give you an upgrade.

Your affected orders are:
* bft95Ifz - TI Speech Synth Adapter Proto

The Super Swift Service drops your expected fabrication time from 12
calendar days to just 5 business days.

Seems the wind is definitely in our sails on this one! Free upgrade! Woo hoo!

Edited by gregallenwarner
  • Like 2

There are definitely still some GENMOD machines out there, but not that many. One of these years I may even get a chance to do the GENMOD modification to ane of the two Geneves I have. . .I've had it now since the card first came out (I have one of the first for or five of them Bud finished, bought from Beery Miller when he brought three of them to the TI Treff in Wiesbaden in 1990).

Oh well, I guess we'll have to do the GenMod-compatible speech adapter later. Either that or manually tack on 2 extra wires and reprogram the CPLD.

Actually, what pins correspond with AMD and AME, and what are their values expected to be? I can go ahead and begin thinking about how to work those into the next design before we do the big run.

Edit: Nevermind, found this information in the resource mizapf game me.

Edited by gregallenwarner

Just an update: Yesterday I received the components from Mouser for the first 3 prototypes, and this morning I got an email saying the solder paste stencil has shipped. Now all I'm waiting on is the PCB's, which normally does take quite a while. But we're making progress!

Oh, I'm starting to get that feeling, you know the one....ANTICIPATION!

• Like 1

Just wanted to give you all a brief update:

I'm still working on assembling the prototypes. I should be able to finish these up an test them all this weekend.

Meanwhile, I've been doing some re-engineering of the design before I do the full run. Mostly just revamping the power regulation circuitry to make things a little more reliable and fault-tolerant. Speficially, I'm opting to get rid of the tantalum capacitors in favor of more reliable solid polymer aluminum ones. I'm also going to throw a couple of surface mount fuses on the power traces, just to make sure that any (unlikely) failure on this board won't short out your PEB's power supply or damage other components. The fuses are a couple of cents each, and certainly seem worth it when you consider the value of your TI system!

I've got to hook up my multimeter to my test rig tonight and see how much current it draws during speech activity, so I can select the proper fuses.

Don't know if I'm over-engineering here, but I tend to prefer to overdo things rather than underdo them. At the very least, my conscience will rest easy that I've built the best boards that I possibly can for you all!

• Like 2