IGNORED

RebbStars - 12k Amiga Intro Demake for Atari 800 XL

JAC!

Celebrating my 25th year of "My Atari can do that, too". I released a demake of a nice release by Shadow for G*P as part of the Oldschool Demo Compo at Revision 2014.

Download: http://www.wudsn.com/productions/atari800/rebbstars/rebbstars.zip
Sources: http://www.wudsn.com/productions/atari800/rebbstars/rebbstars-source.zip

post-17404-0-98273100-1398021914_thumb.gifpost-17404-0-86591500-1398021918_thumb.gifpost-17404-0-74254400-1398021921_thumb.gif

A 12k full overscan intro for stock Atari 800 XL/XE, 64k, PAL.

Uses 150 Hz music replay that eats up 30% of the CPU to not sound like POKEY.

Plus a software driven soft scroll to achieve hires scroller over animated

overscan hires background that eats up the remaining CPU cycles.

And yes, it thought it would be simple...believe me it's not with 1.79MHz :-)

This is a tribute to the good cracktro style Amiga intros I am still in love with.

Thanks to Shadow^GP for creating the original "Old Cranky Style" Amiga intro

and allowing me to use the graphics for my demake. If only I had asked for the

sinus table, too. It would have saved from writing a ripper that can rip sinus

waves from AVI recordings :-)

Released at the Oldscool Compo at Revision 2014 in Saarbruecken.

Party version created 2013-12-17 to 2014-04-18.

Fixed version with proper logo colors, scoller text and packing created on 2014-04-20.

Code: JAC!

Logos: Rebb

Music: Premium

Greetings:

ABBUC, Abyss, Agenda, Checkpoint, Cosine, Desire, DMA, Grey, MEGA, Genesis Projects, Lamers, MEC, LaResistance, Mystic Bytes, Noice, Oxyron, Scarab, SvOlli, SquoQuo, Taquart, vcsdev and all other Atari lovers.

• Like 16

when i run demo from SIDE II, then circles/stars dont turning.. :/

Hi! I already wrote this in other thread: complains has to be send to author of SIDE2 firmware, not to author of software that does not run on SIDE2.

JAC wrote demo for atari XL/XE, which runs on Atari XL/XE. That it does not run from SIDE2, is fault of SIDE2.

you MUST try it on real HW..

its not side ii fault

sio2sd - that same problem.. with q-meg

Ofcourse you must try it on real HW. But SIDE II is third party. I have no problems running this demo on my 800XL.

If you have problems on real HW, you should type: it does not run on my 800xl, and not bringing up SIDE 2.

EDIT: ah yes, I see what you mean. Some problems. I don't see that loader screen at the start.

Edited by ProWizard

its only for XL? i trying on XE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Fvdtn8JBw&feature=youtu.be

I edited my post. I have issues too. I did not see the movie of the demo, so I did not notice a problem, until I saw the movie.

So you are right it does not work properly on real hardware. I really got confused by messages about it does not work on SIDE 2, so you really better write: does not work properly on real hardware. Due to your comment about SIDE2, I thought problem only exist in SIDE2.

I hope JAC will fix demo for real HW.

Very interesting. It worked of course on real HW. The compo was recorded from real 65XE with VBXE (not used). I'll have a look when I have my machines setup again. By any chance: Do you use NTSC machines? The demo requires PAL. Hmm, I fixed some colors & typos in the scroller before releasing this final, so who knows..

@pirx: Provide 6 bytes for "Pirx, " so I don't bust the 12k limit :-) Consider yourself added for the probably upcoming fixed version.

Priceless: I found that the sync with the web-site had failed in the night, so the files behind the links were an old half-finished version.

That's also why the files are 40k instead of 12k....Sorry for the trouble.
You can download the correct files with date 2014-04-21 from the above mentioned links now.

[And I freed the required bytes for Out5soft :-) ]

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 2

The demo is awesome, so please don't take this question as a criticism. Are you only "bouncing" the lower scroller due to size constraints in the code, or was there not enough CPU time to also move the logo? It is quite cool seeing a single pixel precision hi-res scroller.

> Are you only "bouncing" the lower scroller due to size constraints in the code, or was there not enough CPU time

Originally I had planned to bounce the logo and the scroller using ANTIC tricks. Actually I took 2 months to make it work for the logo and when I tried to apply the same for the scroller I found that due to the wide playfield, not enough cycles were left to perform all required changes. Also the technique would have cause larger borders above and below the scroller. So I finally decided to switch to CPU and generate the pading above and below the scroller using the CPU. I also could have done this for the logo, but then not CPU time would have been left to animate the background fluently. In addition the screen aspect of the original is close to square. But to use the maximum of the Atari screen (and have enough pixels for the logos), I decided to make it 192(x) by 232. But then there is simply not enough vertical space for a "bounce" that does not collide with the scroller.

The most tricky part in the end was to have all these things running in an overlapping way.

1) VBI

2) DLI that kicks in already during VBI due to vertical overscan, for every of the 29 lines to switch the charset plus some additional positions

3) Music that has to be played a 3 visible positions of the beam

4) Animation of the background in the remaining time

1 & 2 and 3 are actually interrupting each other. And getting that timing right was the tricky part in the end because the DL lines and the DLI in some cases have to be merged dynamically. Otherwise one DLI would interrupt the previous DLI too early.

If the scroller would be static and the music was 50hz, I could have done this easily in one evening. This way it took 3 months :-)

@w1k: The top line over the logo is missing, so maybe you can move the TV's positioning a bit down.

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 3