IGNORED

The Jeff Minter Collection Jag CD

Paul Westphal

He has in past taken other peoples freely released work, and sold it as his own, even refusing to stop doing it making claims that he has modified the original so it is now his own! Most of what he produces himself seems to be low effort attempts to gouge cash out of unwary collectors. For example he produced a video calling it Nine Lives which supposedly has video of unreleased Atari Jaguar games he has obtained. The disc is nothing more than a video disc, most of which is available elsewhere, or even features clips of games from other systems!

All thrown together using a stack of blank media, and a printer, then lobbed on ebay! He seems quite keen to claim the work of others as his own :( Also seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder about the fact he is constantly outed for this behavior claiming it is all a misunderstanding etc etc etc, the forums he has been banned from were all because of others (every time) and not in fact his shoddy behavior, trouble making and blatant lies.

He seems to at least be genuine with the actual real stuff he sells, but personally I'd steer well clear of anything claiming to be from "Lairdsoft"

• Like 10

He has in past taken other peoples freely released work, and sold it as his own, even refusing to stop doing it making claims that he has modified the original so it is now his own! Most of what he produces himself seems to be low effort attempts to gouge cash out of unwary collectors. For example he produced a video calling it Nine Lives which supposedly has video of unreleased Atari Jaguar games he has obtained. The disc is nothing more than a video disc, most of which is available elsewhere, or even features clips of games from other systems!

All thrown together using a stack of blank media, and a printer, then lobbed on ebay! He seems quite keen to claim the work of others as his own :( Also seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder about the fact he is constantly outed for this behavior claiming it is all a misunderstanding etc etc etc, the forums he has been banned from were all because of others (every time) and not in fact his shoddy behavior, trouble making and blatant lies.

He seems to at least be genuine with the actual real stuff he sells, but personally I'd steer well clear of anything claiming to be from "Lairdsoft"

I'm surprised that he's still allowed to write for retro gamer magazine. I feel dirty buying a copy nowadays, guess I should just browse the article I want to read in the newsagents!
  • Like 7

Woops I've bought a few items from this guy, is he a bad egg then? I just bought items in past as it was cheaper to buy from him than MYATARI, due to postage from US.

What exactly did you buy from him? Maybe this thread would be a good place for people to own up to having been duped by this guy into buying something he didn't have permission to be reproducing in the first place? Genuinely interested.

On his Retro Gaming Global Hub website forum (read: cut-and-paste-news-site complete with hotlink screenshots) he offered to sell homebrews on CD from a large list, at least 98% of which he had no permission to do so. Wouldn't even be surprised if it was found he was using ULS/JiFFI to create the CD images, he's clearly not got enough between his ears to figure out how to hash discs himself.

His latest effort before the Jeff Minter Rip-Off CD was a collection of YouTube videos of non-Jaguar games that someone once might have mentioned the word Jaguar in the same paragraph as 20 years ago. He got TXG to do the CinePak stuff for it (God knows how or why...). He then went on to sell these as "limited, numbered editions" on eBay for prices reaching in excess of £70.00 each - for a fuxking CD-R, plastic box and piece of paper and absolutely zero personal input!

Dunno who is worst - the scum selling them or the fools buying them, because FFS, if Jaguar collectors really are that desperate to be relieved of their money, we can all go that way and only make 20 of anything and hold you all to ransom depending on how super low and collectible you want your copy to be... :lol: But, you know, maybe there are a few of us with a little integrity intact...

SMFH

Wonder what Jeff would say if he got introduced to Mr kizza at the replay event in a few weeks time?? :o

He'd shrug it off as he's far too laid back to let something like that ruin his day/week/life. Maybe some people take advantage of that good nature? My suggestion - report any and all auctions for what amounts to nothing more than warez in the usual manner. He's not afraid to have quick buy-it-nows to attempt to escape the slow response time to such reports, so stay vigilant!

Anyway... Keiren is far too fearful to go out in public at places like Play where he will get seen to in the manner he so very dearly deserves. Big mouth online, big fat cunt in real life, but without the bollocks to back any of it up in person - as is usually the case.

While we're on the subject of the one and only true Jagtard, I had to report him to photobucket quite recently for having not only pron (!) but childishly doctored photos of Reboot members mixed in with all kinds of scans of retro magazines and other junk. It's a shame they don't take further action when you do that, but then again we'd be deprived of such amazing photographs of this Living Legend.

But no, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to Kizzy. Him fuelling Gorf's rage for several years, filling his head full of all kinds of shite, winding him up and watching him blow... that's some perverse kind of "fun". But what he doesn't ever realise is that there's far more damage done than just a few flared-up squabbles in Atari forums, that kind of thing can really mess with people's heads and leave lasting scars, especially when some are so susceptible to it (or was it a matter of wanting to believe?). But people like Kizzy never consider the consequences of their actions beyond giggling away for a few minutes with the cohorts...

Everything he sticks his big fat fingers into turns sour. For a large fat cunt of a man, he sure does have a tendency to hide away when it comes to the real deal - that yellow belly of a true keyboard warrior (OK, not as yellow as those gnashers, but on the sallow side of Short School Bus for sure).

• Like 9

Everything he sticks his big fat fingers into turns sour. For a large fat cunt of a man, he sure does have a tendency to hide away when it comes to the real deal - that yellow belly of a true keyboard warrior (OK, not as yellow as those gnashers, but on the sallow side of Short School Bus for sure).

Well, he does look "special" in that photo, in a window licking sort of way.

• Like 6

Instead of talking about how much of a douche he is, how about reporting the listing? Clearly it is violating other people's work(s).

They were reported, I am speaking historically, but as can be seen he keeps on doing it, and probably listing them on other forums and auction locations too :(

They were reported, I am speaking historically, but as can be seen he keeps on doing it, and probably listing them on other forums and auction locations too :(

Well you can bet on that... he once boasted he sold a huge amount (was it 50 or 100?) boxed CD-Rs to a single person in the US - hopefully not a reseller as that would just be getting someone else in the brown stuff...

These demos have been freely available for a while. I think there was a CD image file in the JS2 download section, but not sure where it's available for download now. Jeff Minter was asked about these years ago and had no problem with them being distributed... there's even an old thread on AA:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/116293-some-very-early-jaguar-demos

Edited by boog
  • Like 1

These demos have been freely available for a while. I think there was a CD image file in the JS2 download section, but not sure where it's available for download now. Jeff Minter was asked about these years ago and had no problem with them being distributed... there's even an old thread on AA:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/116293-some-very-early-jaguar-demos

Right, so Minter saying it's OK for them to be made freely available online is exactly the same as some ginger twat burning CD-Rs and lining his pockets?

Sure...

I'm surprised that he's still allowed to write for retro gamer magazine.

That's because they don't give a shit how poor, or made up, or copy/pasted the stuff is. Or what kind of sack of shit they're associating with.

The Liard is probably the single worst person to be involved with anything retro like that given his utterly ridiculous fibtastic background, but there you go.

I stopped buying the magazine the day one of his 'articles' showed up. Even any remote sense of credibility was completely gone at that point.

• Like 6

Right, so Minter saying it's OK for them to be made freely available online is exactly the same as some ginger twat burning CD-Rs and lining his pockets?

Sure...

I didn't say anything about that... and don't really care. Just letting people like Paul know that the cd image is/was available online for free. :)

EDIT: The CD image files are still available on Matthias' site. There was a link posted in the old AA thread, but here's the link again:

http://www.mdgames.de/jeffminterdemos.html

Edited by boog
  • Like 4

Basically I bought what B&C / MYATARI were selling , demolition man demo and another demo cd. Half the price what they were selling, so didn't pay much for them. Only bought them as I have no idea how to get them onto a disc to work on the jaguar myself, thought it was just like homebrew items etc. Good to know now as sounds like I should stay away. Oh well.

Edited by Gulfman

I didn't say anything about that... and don't really care. Just letting people like Paul know that the cd image is/was available online for free. :)

EDIT: The CD image files are still available on Matthias' site. There was a link posted in the old AA thread, but here's the link again:

http://www.mdgames.de/jeffminterdemos.html

Apologies, thanks for digging out the link for people to get the goodies for free, as they were originally intended to be when shared.

• Like 4