IGNORED

Why did the Atari 2600 console design change so much

bradhig

I would presume it was to lower production costs. By the time of the jr, we had a smaller console with less durable (perhaps, thinner?) plastic. Wood, from what I'm aware, isn't cheap. Additionally, less switches to be made until we again, got to the point where there is no physical lever switches. It might seem small, but when you're mass producing things, you can better afford to offer price cuts to remain competitive in the market.

Most consoles get redesigned at least once during their lifetime (NES, SNES, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, etc.) and sometimes twice (Intelivision, Game Boy, etc.) It does seem strange that Atari had the 2600 in so many versions, but the system did have a long life -- officialy made and supported from 1977 to 1991. (Maybe even 1992, I'm not totally sure). I don't think any other console has had so long a run.

I would presume it was to lower production costs. By the time of the jr, we had a smaller console with less durable (perhaps, thinner?) plastic. Wood, from what I'm aware, isn't cheap. Additionally, less switches to be made until we again, got to the point where there is no physical lever switches. It might seem small, but when you're mass producing things, you can better afford to offer price cuts to remain competitive in the market.

I never knew that any of the 2600 woodgrain models used real wood. All of the ones I have ever come across, including the heavy sixer and light sixer, were all plastic with a woodgrain paint scheme.

But I would assume it was for cuts in production costs. It could have also been due to a few other factors like availability of parts and switching of company ownership. Some part manufacturers probably went out of business or stopped production on parts the 2600 relied on to work. Thus, forcing a needed redesign to use part alternatives. Just my opinion.

The original design is complex and probably cost 3 times or more that of the jr to produce the shell.

Even the 2 moved switches early on would have saved a few bucks.

Also throw in the fact that the original case is over twice as volumous as it needed to be with deletion of inbuilt speakers.

Visual appeal lost out in the end. The design alone makes the early models collectable and displayable, the jr just looks like any other piece of cheap electronic junk.

• Like 1

Visual appeal lost out in the end. The design alone makes the early models collectable and displayable, the jr just looks like any other piece of cheap electronic junk.

:? I like my JR. But I have to agree. I like the JR model because it is a 2600 alternative but the original designs are by far my favorite of all models. 6 or 4 switch models. I'm not too fond of the Darth Vader model, though. I thought the console missing the wood look was a defect or something.

First the heavy sixer, then the light sixer, the four switch, vader, and the jr. Why didn't they just keep making six switch versions all the way through the life span of the 2600? No other console had so many changes.

Because Atari loved money more than us. :D

First the heavy sixer then the light sixer ,the four switch ,vader ,and the jr. Why didn't they just keep making six switch versions all the way through the life span of the 2600? No other console had so many changes.

The original design is complex and probably cost 3 times or more that of the jr to produce the shell.

Even the 2 moved switches early on would have saved a few bucks.

Also throw in the fact that the original case is over twice as volumous as it needed to be with deletion of inbuilt speakers.

The 2 moved switches are the result of the new (cheap) all-in-one motherboard. The result of this revision is a bad picture quality on all 4switch models. The 2600 JR picture quality is almost as good as on the 6switchers...

• Like 1

I never knew that any of the 2600 woodgrain models used real wood. All of the ones I have ever come across, including the heavy sixer and light sixer, were all plastic with a woodgrain paint scheme.

I'm reasonably sure no model of the 2600 ever used any real wood. Faux woodgrain finish was huge in the mid 70's to about the mid 80's.

The weight of the H6 was the most, look at how thick the base is. The L6 is made of a thinner plastic. Atari must have saved thousands or millions on shipping costs and materials alone. And never passed that savings to you! Corporate greed no doubt..

I do prefer the look of the L6 though.

Agreed on the cost cutting. Also, the style of the console evolved over the years to keep up with the latest trends. Wood grain & levers was very late seventies while aluminum trim & LEDs was more sleek and futuristic for the new decade.

The weight of the H6 was the most, look at how thick the base is. The L6 is made of a thinner plastic. Atari must have saved thousands or millions on shipping costs and materials alone. And never passed that savings to you! Corporate greed no doubt..

I do prefer the look of the L6 though.

The price of the system DID drop over the years, though, as every game console did. If I recall correctly, the Atari 2600 was $300 when it launched in 1977. That was as much as a Playstation when that first came out, and more expensive then most consoles at launch! By the end of the 2600's life in 1991, you could pick up a new Junior for $50 (perhaps even cheaper).

So some of that savings was passed on to consumers, although there were other reasons for it also.

The period of 1977-1991 is questionable though. Wasn't there a production blackout after the "crash" that lasted at least a couple of years? I would say the Playstation 2 deserves the first place as the console with the longest production run. Also 300 dollars in 1977 is not 300 dollars today...

IIRC, part of the reason why they changed the bottom was because the Heavy Sixer bottoms had a tendency to warp after manufacturing.

heavy-ist design-worin out the bugs

6 switch light- less plastic, cheaper controller assembly, 2 less screws, made overseas

4 switch-cheaper rf shield, single board construction, cost reduce 2 switches

vader-elim application of woodgrain ink, no more sockets on PC board

junior-smaller board and housing

follow the money.....my company does the same.

Anytime a product goes from being made in America by American workers to made overseas by workers who may as well get paid with peanuts... it's an obvious sign of corporate greed. Nothing wrong with trying to maximize profits, but when the quality of the product suffers... then it's just greed.

Same thing happened with bicycles. In the early 80's or maybe even earlier, American bike companies closed their factories and moved all production to Taiwan because it was cheaper than paying skilled American welders, platers, painters, etc. to make bicycles. Quality went down, prices stayed the same, profit margins went up.

Huge difference between the Heavy Sixer and the Atari 2600 Jr. ... not just in appearance.