Photo

XB Game Developers Package

85 replies to this topic

#1 senior_falcon ONLINE  

senior_falcon

Dragonstomper

• 959 posts

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:55 PM

Attached is a zipped folder that contains two tools that XB programmers can use to create arcade quality games.

The first tool is XB256 which unlocks most of the graphics capabilities of the 9918A video processor.  You can can toggle between 2 screens while preserving the graphics on each screen.  Screen2 offers a full 256 unique character definitions, compared to 112 in XB.  Plus, you can have 28 double sized sprites, each with its own unique character pattern.  There are scrolling routines to scroll characters left, right, up and down. Others let you scroll smoothly a single pixel at a time.  Yet another lets you do a "Star Wars" style text crawl. Areas of VDP memory can be save in a compressed format so you can save character definitions, sound tables, screen images, etc. in a more compact form that can be loaded much more rapidly.  There is a sound list compiler that creates sound lists from music and sound effects that you create in XB. Once these are included in your program you can choose music or sound effects to automatically play in the background while your program runs. Also, the sound list player can play two sound lists at a time so you can have background music playing with sound effects that don't interrupt the music.  All this can be easily  programmed in XB.

The other tool is my XB compiler, which has been expanded to include all of the XB256 assembly language subroutines.  Compiling the program will speed it up by a factor of 10x to 30x.  With the ability to run the advanced graphics and sound capabilities of XB256  at near assembly speed you can create arcade quality games without having to learn how to program in  assembly language.

(Edit May 18, 2014 - Revised version is attached with CF7 and Myarc controller compatibility, more versatile memory allocation for sound tables, and expanded documentation about sound tables.  Replace the old one with this and don't mix and match files as they are not compatible between versions.)

(Edit November 16, 2014 - Added disk catalog utility (CAT) to XB256 and a faster random number generator (IRND). There are now two converter programs that generate sound lists from XB CALL SOUND statements, which have different strengths and weaknesses. The manual was expanded and a few bugs were fixed.)

(Edit November 30, 2014 - Newest version with a few improvements - FREEZE and THAW for automatic sprite motion, IRND expanded to return up to 8 random numbers per call, etc.)

(Edit December 26, 2014) This should be the final update of the XB256/COMPILER256 combination.   There is a built in utility that forces a program to be saved in IV254 format.  If the XB program segments are in IV254 fomat then large programs running under XB256 can be chained together without overwriting the screen, character definitions and colors used when in screen2.  A subroutine has been added that will load a font with true lower case characters with descenders.  There is a subprogram CALL LINK("SCREEN",color) that works exactly like CALL SCREEN except the screen color is saved.  That way when you change screens the screen background colors are saved/restored.  And of course, the usual tweaks to the documents.

(Edit June 12, 2015)  Compiler256D now has disk access - DV type only of any length, up to 3 files open at a time plus a few bug fixes.  Part of XB Game Developer's Package.  Latest version is in this post.

(Edit April 27, 2017) BXLOADER is attached.  This lets you use the EA cartridge to load the object code, giving a 20x improvement in speed.

(Edit April 28, 2017) BXLOADER is updated.  Now you have the option of using compressed object code which loads twice as fast as uncompressed code.

Attached Files

Edited by senior_falcon, Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:45 PM.

#2 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Dragonstomper

• 878 posts

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:33 PM

Thanks Harry :)

I'm going to get practicing some routines through this week and next, bounce some ideas of mine around and have a good play with it.

Brilliant stuff!  

#3 Ed in SoDak OFFLINE  

Ed in SoDak

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:37 PM

+1!

Many thanks for your efforts to add some major functionality to XB that's accessible to those of us who never quite grasped assembly. Right now, I'm struggling to recall my own XB programming skills, it's been that long since I've exercised that portion of my brain cells. I never wrote many game/graphic programs and went more towards creating things to solve my own practical needs, like my darkroom timer and associated business-related apps or my bloated do-all disk cataloger program.

When I tried games with sprites, the CALL COINC statements never could quite give me the speed or response I was seeking for good gameplay, so I ended up leaving game creation to more competent programmers than I. Maybe with your new routines, even I could take a stab at creating something worth typing RUN to play it, lol.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak, Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:40 PM.

#4 Willsy OFFLINE  

Willsy

River Patroller

• 3,029 posts

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 AM

Just ran the demo program - awesome stuff! :thumbsup:

#5 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 2,813 posts

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:55 AM

Thank you Harry for bringing out the full potential of XB. To think that we could have had these capabilities decades ago... But then, with all the included goodies, there would have been little enhancement to learn assembly language at all!

Edited by Vorticon, Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:55 AM.

#6 unhuman ONLINE  

unhuman

Stargunner

• 1,157 posts

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:51 AM

This needs tacking on the Development Resources thread!

#7 Gary from OPA OFFLINE  

Gary from OPA

Moonsweeper

• 414 posts

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:35 PM

If I was so not good at Assembly, I would try this out.

It really is amazing set of tools. - I will have to see if I can help out this year by sharing some of my 'assembly' stuff, it might help adding new stuff to this package, or get people to jump over to Assembly.

Now we just need a GPL Development Package to get people to write new GROM based games, it really not that bad of lang. once you learn it.. :) And with UberGrom coming out, it would be nice to see some new GPL programs/apps/games to burn into it!

Edited by Gary from OPA, Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:36 PM.

#8 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,842 posts

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:18 PM

Yea,  well the more I promoted GPL the more flak I got for it. 

Some fans  but as most are Assembly and C people on this site. 

I feel I was flogging a dead horse.

Which is why I do not show up much anymore.

(Not that I am picking a fight, just pointing out the truth of my feelings on this matter.)

http://atariage.com/...ment-resources/

Look at GPL Section.

#9 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,842 posts

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:25 PM

This is a well written package with tools.

#10 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,617 posts

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:33 PM

Yea,  well the more I promoted GPL the more flak I got for it. 

Some fans  but as most are Assembly and C people on this site. 

I feel I was flogging a dead horse.

Which is why I do not show up much anymore.

(Not that I am picking a fight, just pointing out the truth of my feelings on this matter.)

http://atariage.com/...ment-resources/

Look at GPL Section.

Richard,

I have never seen anyone give you flack for GPL.  I think maybe you misconstrue the flack.

We would all love to learn more and appreciate the work you have done with GPL and RXB. We just don't all agree with all of your strongly felt and verbosely articulated positions on some topics.   And your need to post on unrelated topics about unrelated things.. 

GPL is something I intend on looking into in the future and I hope you and your documentation is available at that time to show how it's done.  

Greg 

#11 slinkeey OFFLINE  

slinkeey

Dragonstomper

• 500 posts
  • Not a Gamer

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:43 PM

I don't recall this place being Anti-GPL.

Edited by slinkeey, Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:51 PM.

#12 Willsy OFFLINE  

Willsy

River Patroller

• 3,029 posts

Posted Thu May 1, 2014 3:11 AM

GPL kicks ass, and RXB is the GPL ass-kicking ninja guru!

#13 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,235 posts

Posted Thu May 1, 2014 5:07 AM

Many thanks for an excellent development tool, Harry!

Rich, talking GPL is fine--and you have taught us a lot about it. :) It is TI programming after all, which is why we come to this forum in the first place. My only thought for some of the flak you've taken over time is something I also tell my wife: it isn't the intended content of the message that gets to be a problem, it is the way you approach it. There are good ways (and you've often chosen those, and the discussion has been VERY good) and there are not so good ways (and you've hit on those a few times too--and those were the conversations that devolved into unholy messes). I really like your input. My only recommendation would be to look at your message and read it a bit critically before you post. You'll catch a lot of the potential misunderstandings that way, and the conversations will be better overall. I make mistakes too (we all do). And look at another bright side item--Once we've tested Gazoo's ÜberGROM image, I'll be asking him to do one with RXB in it and another with Winfried Winkler's XB3, so that all three of the viable strains of Extended BASIC are readily available in cartridge form. Your strong advocacy of RXB in a cartridge was one of the reasons I didn't give up on the project when it ran into some development issues.

Now we have the wonderful XB Game Developer's Package to compile things into Assembly. Maybe you could develop something that would compile into GPL to give budding GPL programmers a similar programming environment? I would really like that one, Rich! Hoist it into one of the ÜberGROMs and you'd have a huge space for your program files and keep it AMS aware to use the extra space there and you'd have something awesome. . .  :)  :)  :)

#14 awesp OFFLINE  

awesp

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Sat May 3, 2014 11:16 PM

Thank you very much, Harry, for these great tools!

#15 awesp OFFLINE  

awesp

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Sun May 4, 2014 3:35 AM

Hello Harry,

Thanks again for sharing these great XB extensions!

I have a 'real' TI with a CF7+ device installed (Plus XB). I loaded the XB Game Developers Package without any issues (RUN "DSKn.XB256"), but when I run the 256DEMO, the TI just froze. I tried a couple of times with the same result. As a matter of fact, after I load XB256, I'm not able to load or run any program. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem...?

Many thanks,

Adam

#16 senior_falcon ONLINE  

senior_falcon

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 959 posts

Posted Sun May 4, 2014 6:29 AM

Both "The Missing Link" and "XB256" do some creative rearranging of the VDP RAM.  This works fine when using emulators (Classic99 and Win994a) and real iron using the TI disk controller and the Myarc controller. The CF7 does not like what is done to the VDP and so disk access will not work once TML or XB256 are loaded.  On "In praise of the F18A", post 48, I have posted a test program that details what is done to the VDP ram and pointers in the scratchpad.  Hopefully someone who has a CF7 and some assembly knowledge can use this information to find a solution to the problem.  There are a couple other approaches for XB256 that should make it useable with CF7, but TML has more stringent requirements and this approach is the only one that can work with it.

#17 Bones-69 OFFLINE  

Bones-69

Chopper Commander

• 175 posts

Posted Sun May 4, 2014 5:20 PM

Amazing Harry. Thank you so much for this contribution.

#18 awesp OFFLINE  

awesp

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Sun May 4, 2014 7:23 PM

Thanks for your prompt response, Harry.

Kind regards,

Adam

#19 senior_falcon ONLINE  

senior_falcon

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 959 posts

Posted Sun May 4, 2014 10:17 PM

I've attached a modified version of XB256.  Instead of doctoring the disk file buffers, this one maps the VDP in a different way and changes the bottom of the stack pointer.  It should work fine with the CF7.  Give it a try and if it works at all, then give it a thorough testing.  It runs the demo program properly on Classic99. You should be able to open disk files just like in XB and read/write to them.  One caveat is that the supporting software for XB256 hasn't caught up to the changes yet, so you can't make soundlists or use COMPRESS to save areas of VDP.  Other than that it should work OK.  (I hope!)

Attached Files

#20 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• 689 posts

Posted Mon May 5, 2014 2:19 PM

Tested OK on my CF7. Run old XB256 and the 256DEMO won't load but locks up the computer.

Run your XB256CF7 and the 256DEMO loads and runs fine. 

#21 senior_falcon ONLINE  

senior_falcon

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 959 posts

Posted Tue May 6, 2014 10:18 AM

Thanks for testing this.  I will be releasing the modified version soon.  I have to go through everything to be sure all the necessary changes get made, plus update the manual.  This is a bit of an improvement on the original because you have more control over how the VDP memory is used. and there is a bit more room in the stack.  This will make XB256 compatible with the CF7.  I still need someone to use post #48 in "In praise of the F18A" to determine if the missing link can be made to work with the CF7.

#22 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• 689 posts

Posted Tue May 6, 2014 11:33 AM

I still need someone to use post #48 in "In praise of the F18A" to determine if the missing link can be made to work with the CF7.

I'll work on it this evening

#23 awesp OFFLINE  

awesp

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Thu May 8, 2014 10:51 PM

Thanks Harry for modifying XB256 to work on the CF7! I tried it on my machine and worked without any issues. Sorry for the delayed response, but I was out for a while. Thanks again for sharing your work with us.

#24 senior_falcon ONLINE  

senior_falcon

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 959 posts

Posted Fri May 9, 2014 6:27 AM

Thanks again for sharing your work with us.

Now how about you sharing some of your work with us!

The revised package is coming along nicely.  I need to do some work on the sound list compiler and on the compiler.

#25 senior_falcon ONLINE  

senior_falcon

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 959 posts

Posted Sun May 18, 2014 1:00 PM

Revised version is available in Post #1.  The package has been modified to allow compatibility with CF7, myarc controllers, etc.  The vdp memory allocation is different and the various components are not compatible between versions, so delete the older version and use this one.  The only real difference that you would see is that sound tables are handled somewhat differently.  Allocating memory for sound tables is simplified and there is a bit more stack space available.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users