IGNORED

My own Dragon's Lair Cabinet...Finally!

bennybingo

If it will help, I have a USA address but live in Canada.

Could have it shipped to my address I could bring it across and ship it to you.

You're in Montreal aren't you?

Thanks for your offer, I do really appreciate :) :thumbsup:

But my buddy Toby (coleco_master) also have a US address and I meet him about once a month

I "copied" my DVD of Dragon's Lair and removed all the protection so I don't get that annoying "red-circle with /" in it, or "operation not allowed" when you do a input that's not allowed. Works great with my PS2 with a RGB out to a monitor. I plan to put it in my Rampage arcade cabinet when I get my 25" monitor working! Won't be a true Dragon's Lair, but it will be close! Plus I can play Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp and Dragon's Lair III!

• Like 2

I "copied" my DVD of Dragon's Lair and removed all the protection so I don't get that annoying "red-circle with /" in it, or "operation not allowed" when you do a input that's not allowed. Works great with my PS2 with a RGB out to a monitor. I plan to put it in my Rampage arcade cabinet when I get my 25" monitor working! Won't be a true Dragon's Lair, but it will be close! Plus I can play Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp and Dragon's Lair III!

My cabinet has now had a board upgrade, allowing me to play DL and Space Ace…now I just need to find a Space Ace disc!!!

• Like 2

There was a Dragon's Lair 3? I never knew that. :ponder:

benny, grats on getting that working! Where did you get the working player at?

eBay…it only took me 3 attempts, before I found a seller who ACTUALLY tested the unit like they claimed. The first two arrived DOA, even though they were listed as "tested and working". Luckily, I received full refunds on both without having to escalate (or ship the dead players back).

• Like 2

Well folks….

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-05-28 at 8.49.59 PM.png

There is still so much to do, but at least she has more than a pulse now! Please excuse me now, while I go and play until my eyes bleed! :P

Good job Benny, I hope you have a great time with the Dragons Lair and Space Ace, etc. (as I have no idea all the games you can play with your player) as much I as did and do. If you get a chance, post a vid. of you beating Space Ace on "ACE", something I was never able to do. Have fun and I am jealous :) .

• Like 1

• The wood is damned near perfect.
  • The control panel is bent to hell at the edges…it looks like someone tried prying it up to get at the coin catch bin. The vinyl on the cabinet interior wall (near the monitor) was gouged in the process by the pry-bar. Need to figure out how to fix that.
  • As mentioned before, the plexiglass is scratched, burned by cigarettes and also had words etched into it with someone's keys. The replacement is on the way.
  • The scoreboard is in perfect shape and functions fully.
  • The fan screen on the rear of the cabinet needs to be replaced ($4 at granger).
  • Side art and CPO need to be replaced. Side art is completely missing, and the CPO was damaged by all the prying of the control panel. Also, it is peeled and burned by cigarettes. The control panel is (as I have been told) a nightmare on this machine, as the joystick assembly is quite tricky to get back together…I will save this for last.
  • Marquee art and marquee plexiglass is in perfect shape.
  • Rear door needs a patch on the wood. Wood also needs to be sanded and re-painted.
  • I need to solder a potentiometer to the main board, in order to be able to adjust the "beep" sounds made by inserting quarters and when you make moves during the game. It is so strange…there are two volume control knobs in this cabinet. One controls the voices and speech…the other controls music and sound effects. Those each come from separate channels off the disc. On the other hand, the beeps come directly from the board. They are not adjustable without making a modification, and are set by the factory to deafening levels (I would guess that is due to the fact that these machines were intended to be inside large, noisy arcades.)

Other than that, the inside and outside of the cabinet needs a really thorough cleaning. Tons of dust and grime have accumulated over the years, and I want to slowly and carefully clean it all off. I am just happy it plays perfectly at this point, that way I can at least enjoy playing it while I work on all of the cosmetics over time!

Benny, here's agood place for refferences

http://www.dragonslair.co

I have been utilizing that since before I picked up the cab…it's a great reference site for restoration, but this is the holy grail of DL sites:

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/community/forums/board/forum_topics.asp?FID=1

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Old topic... but I just found it (I'm still on vacation/holydays...).

Really nice job, bennybingo !

I'm on the Daphne and D-L-P communities since almost 13 years, and I perfectly understand what a "real" Dragon's Lair machine could mean ;) !

DVD or BR/PC-HD games aren't considered... same thing for iOS/Android/wii, etc... THE ONLY ones that could be played as in the arcades are:

> of course, the coin-operated machines themselves

> a "true" cabinet with the "Dexter" laserdisc replacement system (real hardware connected to a virtual LDP+LD system made with a RSPi-based machine)

> the Daphne emulator, with original players+discs or even with that all good *OFFICIAL* captures available with the DaphneDownLoader system (years ago I sent to the community the two captures of PAL Dragon's Lair and Space Ace disc which work only on Atari European cabinet & hardware).

The Merlin board is just an amazing mod ! It could give even more if you have a Pioneer LDV-8000 player, which is capable of send overlay text to the display: for example, you could play Space Ace rev.A2 or even the Enhanced on a "regular" Cinematronics dedicated DL cabinet (like your), selecting the skill level directly on the screen without necessarily having the three skill level selection buttons on the control panel...

With the Dexter + Dragon's Lair II "Enhanced Edition", you could play the game in a, again, Dragon's Lair Cinematronics cab and in a way you had never seen, with much more features on the gameplay and an alternative ending.

Well... enjoy Don Bluth's LaserDiscGames ;-) :thumbsup: !

[ clips of me playing on my cabinet: prototype revision with "extra footage" comin' from the Limited 2002 Edition laserdisc ]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...