IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Very Nice indeed,,,,, and want one for sure, any clue what 60 games are built in?

Well, the Flashback box shows the box images of Venture, Pepper II, Zaxxon, Space Panic and Jumpman Junior, so that's the beginning of a clue. The overlays pictured on the box indicate that Ken Uston Blackjack/Poker, Dam Busters, Fortune Builder and War Room will be included.

At the very least, I expect we'll get Carnival, Congo Bongo, Cosmic Avenger, Gorf, Space Fury, Buck Rogers, Bump 'n Jump, Burgertime, Cabbage Patch Kids, Evolution, Mr Do!, The Heist, Gateway to Apshai, Miner 2049er, Mouse Trap, Omega Race, Roc'n Rope, Tapper, Sewer Sam, Spy Hunter, Time Pilot and Up 'n Down. Perhaps the Spectravideo, Sunrise, Xonox and Atarisoft titles too. I do hope at least some of the Parker Bros games make it in there...

• Like 3

Remember that Colecovision kickstarter? All of a sudden I'm happy it failed miserably. THIS is the product we wanted! Obviously, there probably won't be the Nintendo titles. Now, where's the Atari 5200 & 7800 Flashbacks?

Remember that Colecovision kickstarter? All of a sudden I'm happy it failed miserably. THIS is the product we wanted! Obviously, there probably won't be the Nintendo titles. Now, where's the Atari 5200 & 7800 Flashbacks?

AtGames should be releasing details about their digital strategy soon as well. I think fans will be happy with what's coming to mobile devices.

Remember that Colecovision kickstarter? All of a sudden I'm happy it failed miserably. THIS is the product we wanted!

Speaking of that Kickstarter, the AA thread for it is where I first mentioned AtGames' ColecoVision deal, including both the Flashback plug-n-play system and a mobile app. At the time, though, it didn't attract anywhere near as much attention as this thread is doing now. Buzz for the Intellivision Flashback has been much greater. I'd thought someone in the AtariAge ColecoVision community would spin off a topic specifically for the CV Flashback, but I think the closest we came until now was Pixelboy's April Fool's joke.

But hey, better late than never!

onmode-ky

Awesome! Bill are you going to CGE in Vegas in September? would be cool to see a demo of this and other new ATGames items :)

I will not be able to make it. We're expecting our third child at that time. My feature film documentary will be there, among other things, so it's unfortunate I can't make it. I'll ask AtGames if they'll be there. They do certain shows and not others, but I agree that being there is the ideal place for them.

• Like 1

OK, I have a small bit of news, which I guess I'll have to repeat on various threads here. First off, the final game mixes are not finalized yet. Second, I'm not allowed to reveal any of the titles, but both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks will have some surprises on them in the mix of games. So, while the lists can't be made publicly available yet, it has gotten a bit more interesting. I should have units shortly before their retail availability and will make sure I get my reviews up as soon as possible. I'll obviously look at it from several angles, including how everything works with original hardware and vice-versa.

• Like 6

Isn't the Atari Flashback able to be modded to play carts? I wonder if this will be able to do the same thing with some modding. I think it looks pretty cool. For $40 the price is right with 60 built in games, and I'm curious to see what the game titles are.

Only the Flashback 2 and 2+, since those are essentially Atari 2600's on a chip. The Flashback 1 used a NOAC and more or less simulated 2600 and 7800 games. The Flashback 3 and beyond use AtGames' custom chipsets and have an emulation layer, so there's no way to hack in anything.

Well, the Flashback box shows the box images of Venture, Pepper II, Zaxxon, Space Panic and Jumpman Junior, so that's the beginning of a clue. The overlays pictured on the box indicate that Ken Uston Blackjack/Poker, Dam Busters, Fortune Builder and War Room will be included.

At the very least, I expect we'll get Carnival, Congo Bongo, Cosmic Avenger, Gorf, Space Fury, Buck Rogers, Bump 'n Jump, Burgertime, Cabbage Patch Kids, Evolution, Mr Do!, The Heist, Gateway to Apshai, Miner 2049er, Mouse Trap, Omega Race, Roc'n Rope, Tapper, Sewer Sam, Spy Hunter, Time Pilot and Up 'n Down. Perhaps the Spectravideo, Sunrise, Xonox and Atarisoft titles too. I do hope at least some of the Parker Bros games make it in there...

:thumbsup:

Also

Frenzy (Stern)

Front Line (Taito)

Lady Bug (Universal)

Looping (Venture)

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle

SubRoc (Sega)

Edited by TrekkiELO

OK, I have a small bit of news, which I guess I'll have to repeat on various threads here. First off, the final game mixes are not finalized yet. Second, I'm not allowed to reveal any of the titles, but both the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks will have some surprises on them in the mix of games. So, while the lists can't be made publicly available yet, it has gotten a bit more interesting. I should have units shortly before their retail availability and will make sure I get my reviews up as soon as possible. I'll obviously look at it from several angles, including how everything works with original hardware and vice-versa.

It would be awesome if AtGames could somehow include Turbo (Sega) and Slither by GDI!

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

It would be awesome if AtGames could somehow include Turbo (Sega) and Slither by GDI!

No games that use special controllers. While in theory those controllers would plug into and work with the Flashback, only the original controllers are being recreated, so they can't really include them. It would be nice if they were hidden games/Easter Eggs, but it's not going to happen.

The original Coleco versions (in case the additional controllers are compatible) as well as the controller hacked versions made by NewColeco would be ideal as the controller hacked versions would allow people to play them with the supplied controllers.

The original Coleco versions (in case the additional controllers are compatible) as well as the controller hacked versions made by NewColeco would be ideal as the controller hacked versions would allow people to play them with the supplied controllers.

I suggested the controller hacked versions, but I don't believe they're being included. As I stated in my latest book, Vintage Game Consoles, despite it being a love it or hate it game, Destructor is one of my favorite games on the ColecoVision (I'm obviously in the love it camp).

• Like 2

No games that use special controllers. While in theory those controllers would plug into and work with the Flashback, only the original controllers are being recreated, so they can't really include them. It would be nice if they were hidden games/Easter Eggs, but it's not going to happen.

I suggested the controller hacked versions, but I don't believe they're being included. As I stated in my latest book, Vintage Game Consoles, despite it being a love it or hate it game, Destructor is one of my favorite games on the ColecoVision (I'm obviously in the love it camp).

Well, as of right now, there are 3 racecar pics in the Colecovision Flashback box's background on its front, it could be for Pitstop, just saying...

Edited by TrekkiELO

Well, as of right now, there are 3 racecar pics in the Colecovision Flashback box's background on its front, it could be for Pitstop, just saying...

Take that with a grain of salt. The packaging shown is not the final (and in fact the ColecoVision one is the most far off from what the final will be; I've seen a very different package not too long ago) and they're just supposed to be generic images to fill the background. Take a look at the Intellivision Flashback box for an idea of what I mean.

It's unfortunate Nintendo games won't make it as I identify DK and DK Jr more with the CV than the NES. Only because I grew up with Atari\Coleco consoles.

Oh well...hopefully most of the arcade conversions are there including a personal favorite WarGames with the overlay. One of the best games on the CV for me.

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 2

Hope this does well enough to be considered successful.

I have plenty of original controllers, flash cart, and most of the original games on cart, so I wouldn't get anything new from this, though.

Be nice if it could somehow be adapted to replace the aging innards of an original colecovision, since many are starting to have "senior moments" if not full-blown dementia (probably like their original owners :) )

Boy this one is an eyecatcher for me. Sure would be nice to have one of these. Even though I have an original it has all the usual issues an original colecovision system has. Probably only downside for me is the recreation of the original painful controlers. :o Akk!

What is really weird is the unlikelyhood that Donkey Kong will be included. Especially considering it was THE big system seller for the Colecovision. On the other hand the official list has not been released so you just never know..

In terms of games licensed, there are some surprises (and AtGames is still pushing hard for more homebrews), but Nintendo stuff will not be among them. It's not shocking in any way about Nintendo, of course, but it's really unfortunate that Activision doesn't do any licensing like this because it affects all of the AtGames products (except for the Genesis ones). Obviously for pre-crash systems, Activision and Imagic had among the best game libraries, so their omission is kind of tragic for products like these. Still, lots of goodies on them, regardless.

Also, don't count on being able to hack these. They're not those types of designs. You can obviously reuse/do what you want with the case, controllers, and overlays, but not the internals of the "console" itself.

• Like 1