IGNORED

Season 3 / Week 12 & 13 ~ The NEW HSC ~ It's About Time Again!

Vocelli

Grand Prix - 1:52.81

HLY CRP DD ! :-o

Time Pilot 20300

Mountain King 24275

I'm pretty new to these games except Grand Prix which I just didn't like growing up. I liked the look & sound of it, just not the playing part :sleep:

but I'm looking out for this pattern you guys are talking about :thumbsup:

I like Mountain King a lot but haven't made it past the bats yet :thumbsdown:

Cap -- I actually beat the UFO's ! still not close to your score though...

post-34560-0-68911000-1400703444_thumb.jpgpost-34560-0-32018400-1400703431_thumb.jpg

Just to let you know, the theoretical minimum is somewhere near 1:37.xx

So you are only 15% from perfect.

How did you get this?

I know the impossible straight line is 1:33.72.

---

Edit

I think I got it. I just simulated a perfect and possible game and got 1:37.76. But I'm not sure it's really possible... :-D

• Like 1

Time Pilot 20300

Cap -- I actually beat the UFO's ! still not close to your score though...

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I almost beat my 2nd wave of UFOs. I was merely commenting that the UFOs and the jets are the only hard levels. If you manage to beat them, it is pretty easy to complete the next 3 waves.

IMPROVEMENTS:

Grand Prix (4B) 2'34''05

Mountain King 52300

Time Pilot 35900

ok now I get it! & just made it to my 2nd wave of UFO's. they are the only hard part for me now, funny but the fast planes are a bit easier than the slow ones for me, I don't seem to have dumb deaths. sometimes they do chase me down & kamikaze me though.

post-34560-0-00533200-1400732663_thumb.jpgpost-34560-0-13725100-1400732682_thumb.jpgpost-34560-0-50516700-1400732712_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Don't know the best way to handle this? It is quite easy to milk points on the bi-plane levels without getting shot. Which means, you can arbitrarily increase your score by 100 point increments. I did this on the first level, waiting until I scored 7,000 points before blowing up the blimp. Should we just measure highest level obtained? (Should I just subtract 7k from my HS, or just throw this one out?)

Time Pilot - 56,800 (Level 3, Helicopters)

gallery_38581_1110_3319.png

Don't know the best way to handle this? It is quite easy to milk points on the bi-plane levels without getting shot. Which means, you can arbitrarily increase your score by 100 point increments. I did this on the first level, waiting until I scored 7,000 points before blowing up the blimp. Should we just measure highest level obtained? (Should I just subtract 7k from my HS, or just throw this one out?)

Vocelli's call, but honestly, if you've the patience to sit and shoot bi-planes all day to scum points, maybe that's punishment enough and the score should stand. There is no good way to police that, and I have readily shot down a few additional planes in pursuit of the boss plane during the course of normal game play, so it would be maddening to try to do the math (like with Motorodeo). It's not a cheat or an exploit, it's something in the game (like the Slipices in Mario Bros.), and while extremely boring and tedious, if you have the tenacity to sit and endure it, then I don't see any reason to throw it out. Theoretically, we could all do the same without having to employ any kind of special trickery.

• Like 4

From the 2600 HSC rules thread, that hasn't been updated for a few years now.

PLEASE DON'T ABUSE BUGS IN THE GAMES! Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work (An example of such "Point Scumming": in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one small asteroid, and then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending), or finish the game while skipping a lot of the actual content (For example, using the X-Ray cheat in Superman to prevent the bridge from exploding). Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process. I'll try to point out "forbidden" tactics as I become aware of them, but if you happen to stumble across one that I was not aware of, please let me know! (NOTE: If a bug is proven to exist partway through the week, existing scores may be removed if it can be proven that they have exploited the bug even if it was not intentional. If you have triggered the bug accidentally, I would urge to you voluntarily remove your score and post a new one.)

• Like 1

We have these discussions often about what is "point scumming" and what is "game strategy". Sometimes the answer is obvious. (A court might say, "I can't define it, but I know point scumming when I see it.") But, a lot of the time the answer is even more subjective.

When we played Space Rocks a little while ago, we played that UFO hunting was legal game strategy, which is a direct contradiction of the example in Zero's posted rules.

This is what we have Vocelli for. He does a great job of eliminating our uncertainty If there is a question, we can all discuss the issue, Vocelli decides, and everyone plays by that decision.

BTW, I'm in the "game strategy" camp on the question at hand. If you want to shoot 100 point planes all day, more power to ya. For myself, I can't wait to shoot the boss plane, take the points, and move on to the next level. :)

• Like 2

I DO NOT have a problem with the strategy of shooting low point enemies for extra points in the Time Pilot game.

In this case with Time Pilot I say... go for it.

I don't find this to be a glitch or an unfair advantage.

Go ahead... have fun.

• Like 1