IGNORED

The most annoying enemies in classic games

In BAGMAN when you were waiting for that one elevator to come down that stupid runaway mine cart could come from behind and nail you.

I also hated how the guards got suicidal sometimes by jumping off the ledge so they'd land on you while coming up on the elevator. You are f***ed!

Bats in Pitfall II

Worluk Wizard of Wor

The porticullis in Karateka

Wights in Pool of Radiance

Red Demons in Ghosts n' Goblins

Hammer Bros. Super Mario Bros.

ReDeads Zelda Ocarina

The bullet in Jumpman

[insert enemy here] Sinistar

Flying Medusa heads in Castlevania

Cliff Racers Morrowind

Revenants in DOOM

Food in Ultima :P

I will post more as memory serves....it can go on and on.........

Trapped chests. I hate having the excitement of opening a chest ruined by the likelyhood of the chest sprouting arms and legs and opening up to a maw of teeth. Thanks, buzzkillington. :(

It doesn't help that the chest monsters in "Super Mario RPG" are some of the toughest in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head...

Spider in Centipede (annoying)

Baiter in Defender (pretty annoying)

Tanks in Robotron (very annoying)

The green S.O.B. in Qbert (severely annoying)

Understandable, considering these arcade games were designed to challenge the player to the highest extent in order to get the player to insert another quarter... :twisted:

• Like 2

Zelda II: Adventure of Link-- Those flying skulls (called bubbles) in the palaces and take numerous hits to get rid of them. Also, the bubbles in certain stages that rise from pits. Hit one of those and you'll end up falling back into a pit.

zelda2_bubble1.pngreview-zelda2wii-big-2.jpg

Scrapyard Dog for the 7800. Just about every enemy including the fire hydrants and basketballs. Not to mention the jumps in the sewer level.

• Like 1

Lots of good choices so far. The one that bugged me the most as a kid? Those darned alligators in Pitfall! I can hop them easily now, but I still get a twinge of dread, remembering how I used to lose Harry most often on those screens!

The Mutants in Defender

The Tanks in Robotron

Dracula in Castlevania (I still haven't beaten him - maybe if/when I ever retire I'll give it another go)

Any foul-mouthed pre-teen playing an online FPS (not classic, but still annoying)

Edited by BydoEmpire

The Mutants in Defender

The Tanks in Robotron

Dracula in Castlevania (I still haven't beaten him - maybe if/when I ever retire I'll give it another go)

Any foul-mouthed pre-teen playing an online FPS (not classic, but still annoying)

To me, the controls in Defender were my worst enemies. That game is player-hostile in the extreme, which is why we should admire those who excel at it even more. :lol:

To me, the controls in Defender were my worst enemies. That game is player-hostile in the extreme, which is why we should admire those who excel at it even more. :lol:

This. Another issue I noticed with the game is that when you switch between left & right, your ship moves left & right across the screen. In the heat of battle, you get a bit confused whether you are actually moving or standing still & the landscape is panning. Compare this against Chopper Command.

Worst enemies for me are the ones that make me panic. Here are a few that come to mind:

Metroids in Super Metroid - they stick like glue and suck your life faster than a bad marriage

Rip Van Fish from Super Mario World - enemies that chase you always suck, but this bastard chases you UNDER WATER

ReDeads from Ocarina of Time - They're easily avoidable but when they manage to grab you...

Every enemy in Metal Gear Solid - Anytime I see that exclamation point appear and hear that alert (!) sound, I panic

The knife guys from Wild Guns - You already have a million things to worry about in that game, then here comes a guy with a knife that you can't shoot!

a8a6avuj.jpg

I used to call this Mr. Sun.

e2uza2ar.jpg

I called this one big bertha. I played the crap out of that game.

Those are probably the most annoying two enemies in SMB3! The sun is unavoidable for the most part unless you freakking speedrun the level, and the fish doesn't only take your power up; it takes your entire life!

My mind is drawing blanks right now, but here's some recurring design choices I've seen through multiple series that are just cheap and annoying:

Enemies that respawn instantly when you scroll the screen. Pretty much every NES game suffers from this to some extent due to memory limitations, but some developers designed their games in such a way that you have to backtrack a lot and get continuously spammed with respawns (Turtles 1).

Powerups/items in an inaccessible location or that immediately fall off screen when released.

Any boss that takes 40 hits or more to defeat is just cynical developers being unfair and lame.

Spikes cause instant death even if your character has full health (Megaman).

Any platforming area where an enemy is positioned just so that it knocks you backwards to your death as you're trying to leap over a pit (Castlevania, Ninja Gaidan).

Chests or Item boxes that release enemies instead of useful items (the chest boss in SMRPG - I had a couple lame continues because of those).

NES: Glitches due to poor connection. You spend 15 minutes trying to clean the cart and finally get the game working in your NES. You get balls deep into the game when you begin to see graphical corruption or glitches but you're too far into the game to pull it back out and start over. Eventually it just crashes or the graphical corruption gets so bad it becomes completely unplayable.

Atari: Games that have 64 unique variations but because you bought it used, there's no instruction manual to tell you what they do. Bonus points if you've got a worn select switch and it skips the variation you want due to contact bounce.

Edited by stardust4ever

This. Another issue I noticed with the game is that when you switch between left & right, your ship moves left & right across the screen. In the heat of battle, you get a bit confused whether you are actually moving or standing still & the landscape is panning. Compare this against Chopper Command.

That's only because you are as lame at it as I am. :lol:

Every enemy in Metal Gear Solid - Anytime I see that exclamation point appear and hear that alert (!) sound, I panic

To me, that happened with the radio static in Silent Hill. Man, that game was scary, and for some stupid reason, I insisted on playing it at night, in the dark. Every time the radio started playing static, indicating there was a mutant lurking in the shadows around me, I freaked out like a little girl and wanted to run away to mummy!

Damn! I enjoyed that game. :lol:

-dZ.