IGNORED

The most annoying enemies in classic games

Not very classic, but the most anoying enemy I've encountered so far:

(starts at 1:23)

Annoying boss yes, but the Manta Storm was far more annoying.

This YT'er employed a completely different strategy that I did. I tried and failed to fight the Manta Storm out in the open but got my ass kicked. Later I defeated it by hiding underneath a hut where they couldn't touch me and spraying when they approached.

Mecha Bowser in Pinna Park gets the runner up as third most annoying boss (I struggled with it early on but not that bad in retrospect) after Manta Storm and Eel Dentist. I hated those damn torpedos stealing my health...

Spoiler flag because it reveals plot twist cutscenes.

Not really an enemy per say, but the "Pachinko Machine" and the "ride yoshi on a boat to a deserted island so you can shimmy down a pipe and float on a shrinking lily pad while navigating a poisoned river to collect 8 red coins" mission are two of the toughest shines in the whole game. Pachinko is totally unfair leaving survival up to random chance, whereas the poisoned river is just balls hard to do. Both shines are potential suicide missions.

Super Mario Sunshine also gets my vote for the most hilarious final boss scene ever in a Mario game. Final boss is moderately difficult but not unfair. Navigating the lava filled volcano to get up to the boss fight is the hard part. Google it you lazy bastards! No spoilers for you! :grin:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Super Mario Sunshine also gets my vote for the most hilarious final boss scene ever in a Mario game. Final boss is moderately difficult but not unfair. Navigating the lava filled volcano to get up to the boss fight is the hard part. Google it you lazy bastards! No spoilers for you! :grin:

Super Mario Sunshine belongs on many other lists, specifically in "Best Game Play" and "Most Fun Mario Game." :)

Just played the classic light gun game CROSSBOW. Those freaking spears that fly from the wall inside the castle are a total bitch!

THAT was one of my favorite games as a kid. I played it at Circus Circus in Reno when my folks made their annual pilgrimage. Great game that I was never able to find locally, and forgot about until now. Guess my arcade could use an addition as it has been awhile since I have added anything.

EDIT

Just went to E-Pay and no Crossbow arcades are listed. I will get the next one if the price is not stupid, I am also gonna check KLOV and see if any local guys want to sell.

Edited by Mxyzptlk
  • Like 1

Just played the classic light gun game CROSSBOW. Those freaking spears that fly from the wall inside the castle are a total bitch!

Just a follow up, NO ONE @KLOV is selling and there are 13 guys ahead of me looking to buy. Looks like I am in for a rough ride. Do you have the machine or are you playing emulation? If you have the machine, are you interested in selling?

Just a follow up, NO ONE @KLOV is selling and there are 13 guys ahead of me looking to buy. Looks like I am in for a rough ride. Do you have the machine or are you playing emulation? If you have the machine, are you interested in selling?

Sorry, I ran it on an emulator. Man, you have my sympathies.. this game seems to have been forgotten by the mists of time and doesn't exist hardly anywhere, let alone in our neck of the woods. It's such a cool, innovative shooter that deserves more recognition today. Best of luck in your pursuit.

Sorry, I ran it on an emulator. Man, you have my sympathies.. this game seems to have been forgotten by the mists of time and doesn't exist hardly anywhere, let alone in our neck of the woods. It's such a cool, innovative shooter that deserves more recognition today. Best of luck in your pursuit.

Well if you can't procure an arcade game, there's always the 7800 version? I got mine at Atari2600.com... :P

The ghost from Spelunker. Especially on the Atari 800 version. This worthless pile of steaming garbage keeps popping out on a constant basis the deeper you get. I swear on The Falls level on the A8 the little s.o.b. comes out every minute or less. :mad:

The Rocs and Oscars from Arabian. When they speed up they are REALLY annoying. They also merge into a giant and fly at you. And the mama bird makes more Rocs and there is no warning. They can drop right on you at any minute, and through the floor to get you. Bullsh*t!

• 2 weeks later...

How about Kefka in Final Fantasy III (VI)? If you didn't know how to handle him when you first ran across him, woe be it to you.

If you're referring to the first fight with Kefka at Narshe (during the invasion by the Empire), he was no problem for me.

I used Cyan, Sabin, Celes, and Terra for my party against him. I had Celes use Runic to absorb Kefka's magic spells, Terra as a medic, and had Cyan and Sabin pound away on him. In a few rounds, Kefka was duck soup.

• 4 weeks later...

If not from getting beat up by them, then from running out of time!

The first SOR seems more challenging than the second. In SOR2, you can rely on dash moves to take out the tougher enemies. There is no similarly devastating regular attack in SOR1 so it's all skill and strategy. In the last stage you don't even get your special attack and you have to face every boss again along with a bunch of other enemies. Forget about it.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

The bat in Adventure has got to be the worst.

The Bat definitely gets my vote too, granted without him it'd be too easy, but man, he can ALWAYS show up at JUST the wrong time. Maybe if the Dragons re-spawned after a time limit or something...

OR

You can have items scattered all over, but guaranteed he's made off with the ONE item you were going back to get. You could almost swear it WAS intelligent!

Aside from that bat, enemies or rather Bosses (they're usually the culprits) in Shoot-em-ups that send a shitload of bullets. No timing, no pattern, just a random hail of bullets.

Edited by Torr

The first SOR seems more challenging than the second. In SOR2, you can rely on dash moves to take out the tougher enemies. There is no similarly devastating regular attack in SOR1 so it's all skill and strategy. In the last stage you don't even get your special attack and you have to face every boss again along with a bunch of other enemies. Forget about it.

Side note: I love the incredibly flawed logic involving the police car firing the napalm/rocket launcher. The shot could reach the elevator platform from FAR the hell away (from a few blocks back down the street, and a mile up in the air), and it goes through ceilings on the last level.. and that must be a pretty strong elevator platform to support the car since you can still use it on the last level IIRC.

Nope. No E-SWAT backup for the last level.

You fight every boss and those damn twins/evil Blazes again with NOTHING but your basic arsenal.

As mbd30 said, you can't even rely on your "toward,toward,attack" special move, cause the original didn't have that.

Just punches, grabs, and jumps.

Edited by Torr