IGNORED

Long term projects

hloberg

In another topic OLD CS1 mentioned he had some long term projects in mind which got me thinking that might be an interesting subject for a new topic.

SO, what long term projects do you have in mind and how long do you think it might take you.

Me first. About 6 months ago I got started on a TI99 version of the Atari classic 'Mule'. Well, I changed jobs, then my wife got a job offer to Dallas, Texas. We moved etc... etc... who cares.

Anyway, now I have time to get back to it. I going to use Senior Falcon XBC256CF which solves almost all my previous problems; fast loading of screens, scrolling, streaming music. Think it might take me a few months.

My hardware project I have started on is installing a speaker and amplifier in the TI99. Since the F18a disables the video the only need for the video cable is for sound. I created a bracket to mount the speaker (just behind the cartridge port) and tested putting a small amp below the motherboard. Unfortunately, I shorted out the amp I scavenged from a old MP player so back to square one. This is a, when I feel like messing with it, project so who knows.

What you got in the works or just thinking about.

Funny you should mention putting a speaker under the grille behind the cartridge port. That is exactly what was there on some early 99/4s--and the Solid State Software badge at the front of the cartridge port was a slider switch to control the volume. I have one of these. . .

My current long term project is getting the layout for the IDE board done again for through-hole components. I have a lot of other projects in process, most of which are just in a holding pattern until their turn in the queue for board manufacture comes up. I have the UberGROM, 512K cartridge, TI 128K Card, Protoboard, PEB Extender Board, and the Flat Cable Armadillo Interface all at various stages of test (I still have to do a run of the boards for the last two).

Funny you should mention putting a speaker under the grille behind the cartridge port. That is exactly what was there on some early 99/4s--and the Solid State Software badge at the front of the cartridge port was a slider switch to control the volume. I have one of these. . .

My current long term project is getting the layout for the IDE board done again for through-hole components. I have a lot of other projects in process, most of which are just in a holding pattern until their turn in the queue for board manufacture comes up. I have the UberGROM, 512K cartridge, TI 128K Card, Protoboard, PEB Extender Board, and the Flat Cable Armadillo Interface all at various stages of test (I still have to do a run of the boards for the last two).

I thought it was odd that the speaker fit a bit too well and the plastic was curved to accommodate it. Now if I can find a good amplifier board that will fit I'll be good to go.

Very impressive list Ksarul. If you make more than one of UberGROM or 512k cart, consider me a buyer.

Actually my really, really long term project is I want to learn how to make cartridges. Whole process, from having the board cut to programming the ROM/GROM.

I actually have assembled ÜberGROM boards in stock right now (I think I have five assembled), for $24 each, shipped. Note that the board doesn't come with an ATMEL1284 at this time, as the code works for it, but we haven't built a loader yet that will allow you to put any GROM cartridge you want into it (the test load works great, but that was hand-built by Tursi). The ROM side of the board has several cartridge loads available, as Gazoo has been doing a lot of work building multicart images that work on it and on the 512K board. The ÜberGROM comes with a pair of blank EPROMs which Atrax, Gazoo, or Acadiel are willing to program for a small fee.

I also have assembled 512K boards in stock, as I assembled 12 of them yesterday that aren't spoken for yet. Those cost $16 dhipped to a US address, and do not include an EPROM.

The Protoboards and the 128K memory cards are in-hand now, but I haven't finished my test builds with either of them yet to verify that there are no layout-related issues.

I can send you a board template for cartridge boards in ExpressPCB if you want to get your feet wet in hardware design. I've got a lot of experience with that program (and another program I use to export the files into industry-standard Gerber/Excellon format). I've also got a template I set up for doing PEB cards.

• Like 1

That depends--the bare boards will be $25, shipped to a US address. I haven't done a complete calculation on the parts cost for an assembled board, but with parts and the time to build one it would probably be in the $125 to $150 range. Hopefully it will be closer to the lower end of that, but that can only be determined for sure once I've actually analyzed my parts cost. I really only planned for this one as a bare board, so any assembled boards would have to be done as a special request (unless it turns out that most everyone wanting one wants it assembled). The pictures of the bare board are in the Prototyping Board thread, which reminds me, I need to get some pictures of those up too!

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 1

I would like to 'get my feet wet' with the Uber or 512k cart. I'm still learning a lot of the hardware tech (I'm a software guy with just some experience in hardware) what would I need to utilize either board? Do I need a ROM burner and what about the GROM.

That depends--the bare boards will probably be about $21 plus shipping (I think I've mentioned $20 on these before, but that didn't include the cost to ship them to me, so I had to make the final price $21). I haven't done a complete calculation on the parts cost for an assembled board, but with parts and the time to build one it would probably be in the $125 to $150 range. Hopefully it will be closer to the lower end of that, but that can only be determined for sure once I've actually analyzed my parts cost. I really only planned for this one as a bare board, so any assembled boards would have to be done as a special request (unless it turns out that most everyone wanting one wants it assembled). The pictures of the bare board are in the Prototyping Board thread, which reminds me, I need to get some pictures of those up too!

I think my preference would be an assembled board, but if a kit were to include all the necessary parts, that might be okay, too :).

Have a look here for inspiration: Fitting an amplifier and speaker inside the console.

To use the cartridge boards you would need to be able to burn a DIP EPROM for the 512K board and a 512K, 32-pin PLCC for the ÜberGROM. The ÜberGROM can also have an Atmel ATMega 1284 added to it to simulate GROMs. Note that though the GROM initialization code is complete and includes a test cartridge, that a loader to allow you to put anything you want into the GROM is not ready yet. That's one of the many items on Tursi's plate--and he hasn't had a lot of hobby time to devote to this recently, so we have to be very patient there. :)

Note that you can also do experiments using ROMs provided by others (ATRAX is a good source here), to give you a bit of instant cartridge gratification while doing your own experiments. :)

Edited by Ksarul