IGNORED

Charm Offensive

Hey guys I just wanted to post this because I have been absent from the forums for a while.

My mom had surgery, my harddrive crashed, and I got overwhelmed.

Somewhere in all of the family drama I was invited to be on a reality show to talk about some Atari collectables.

I have to produce a 5 min audition video and get accepted first, but the producers have been very encouraging.

I just wanted to square things with karma, and you guys before I made this announcement in another thread.

I didn't want my fellow retrogamers to think that I came in here to stir the sh!t, left after I pissed everyone off, and then came back to the forum to brag about the show.

#1 I didn't set out to piss anyone off, I just used the usual amount of "Snark" that I have to use with the programmers that I work with. Different type of programmers, different protocol, lesson learned. The programmers that I work with HATE writing and patching cell phone network software all day, homebrew game programmers LOVE what they do.

#2 My personal life got dramatic, and my harddrive crashed, otherwise I would have been in here every day like usual. I didn't make a choice to quit posting in here, I got distracted by family drama.

#3 If I get to be on the show, I take my roll as "ambassador" of our hobby very seriously, again, why I wanted to come in here first and smooth things over. I want to show our hobby in the best light possible with the 90 seconds or so of national coverage I will have on the show.

So... we cool?

You need some credibility and respect to be able to represent a community. Do you have both of these? Are you someone who has spent lots of time, possibly decades, investing in the hobby and helping others? Do you understand the people involved and why they collect and/or program games for the machine? If your answers to these are generally "no", then you would have to ask yourself why others would be comfortable with you self-nominating at their spokesperson.

• Like 4

You need some credibility and respect to be able to represent a community. Do you have both of these? Are you someone who has spent lots of time, possibly decades, investing in the hobby and helping others? Do you understand the people involved and why they collect and/or program games for the machine? If your answers to these are generally "no", then you would have to ask yourself why others would be comfortable with you self-nominating at their spokesperson.

post-29022-0-48341500-1401512422_thumb.png

I take my roll as "ambassador" of our hobby very seriously, again, why I wanted to come in here first and smooth things over. I want to show our hobby in the best light possible with the 90 seconds or so of national coverage I will have on the show. So... we cool?

Unfortunately the roll of "ambassador" is already taken by myself, the grand poobah of the Atari scene.

If anyone else would like to take over, you are welcome to invest the funds in travel and lodging expenses.

> Respect and credibility? Not sure how that would be measured. I can only attest to my passion for the hobby. I don't think anyone has ever won a Nobel prize for playing or collecting video games.

> Are you someone who has spent lots of time, possibly decades, investing in the hobby and helping others?

Sadly yes, which may be why there is no Mrs WiseguyUSA.

> Do you understand the people involved and why they collect and/or program games for the machine?

As much as anyone really understands retrogamers I guess. I guess the only real variable is when retro game gear became "collectible" and no longer "cutting edge technology"