IGNORED

AtariAge improvements

Asmusr

The ability to delete our posts / threads would be nice, as I for one have often created a thread or post I would rather have removed.

You can edit your post to delete the whole message, but you have to leave one character. Most people leave a period.

Gazoo

You can edit your post to delete the whole message, but you have to leave one character. Most people leave a period.

Gazoo

And this is the reason we don't have the ability to edit for longer periods of time. Anyone I catch doing this permanently loses their ability to edit posts.

..Al

And this is the reason we don't have the ability to edit for longer periods of time. Anyone I catch doing this permanently loses their ability to edit posts.

..Al

Suggestion, then... add the <sorry, drunk!> button. :)

A well known Rom supplier site is famous for it.

• Like 1

Suggestion, then... add the button. :)

A well known Rom supplier site is famous for it.

I'm not going to get in a tizzy if this happens every once in a while. It's when I see someone systematically doing this that I'll take action. I've even written scripts to recover thousands of posts from backups when this has happened in the past.

..Al

• 1 month later...

I have been playing with GIFs and APNGs for my user avatar to find that some animations do not work at all. So far as I know these are standard files. Firefox and IrfanView can play the GIF files without problem, and they can be edited in The GIMP. The APNGs are playable in Firefox and can be edited in The GIMP.

Is there anything about how the forum software (or server software) manipulates these files I should take into account?

I have been playing with GIFs and APNGs for my user avatar to find that some animations do not work at all. So far as I know these are standard files. Firefox and IrfanView can play the GIF files without problem, and they can be edited in The GIMP. The APNGs are playable in Firefox and can be edited in The GIMP.

Is there anything about how the forum software (or server software) manipulates these files I should take into account?

Now that you mention it, the one you are using now seems works in FF okay, but does not work in Chrome.

If it ain't broke, why fix it? GIF looks the same and works on so many platforms it could be called 'the industry standard' for animated graphics.

APNG is Animated PNG. Like its non-animated daddy, it allows for 24-bit graphics and true alpha-blending (varying transparencies.) Most APNGs are also smaller than their GIF counterparts (in my testing, out of several hundred animated GIFs only a handful of APNGs were actually larger.) Remember, PNG came about as a response to UniSys' assertion of its patents over the GIF format. This is irrelevant now that those patents have expired, but PNG is still a superior format. GIF is ancient and for old fuddy-duddies. :P

GIF is ancient and for old fuddy-duddies. :P

I guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy then. In this age of terabyte storage and high-speed broadband access, whats a few extra kilo bytes? The GIF format is compatible with damn near everything, adding more code to existing programs, to essentially accomplish the same thing, just adds to the bloatware aspect of programs and seems like a complete waste of time and effort (at least to me).

Just quoting Wikipedia and Chromium to share ripples with both formats mentioned.

In later years Mozilla started to be stricter about GIF (resulting in gif87a often failing to render/display), with FireFox initially being more tolerant than Chrome.

The PNG group officially rejected APNG as an official extension on April 20, 2007. There have been several subsequent proposals for a simple animated graphics format based on PNG using several different approaches. Mozilla Firefox added support for APNG in version 3 trunk builds on March 23, 2007. However, because libpng is the PNG Group's reference implementation of the official specification, APNG support can never be supported in the main libpng distribution so long as it remains unratified by the Group. Some support APNG by using Mozilla's unofficial variant of libpng.

:)

Edited by sometimes99er

In later years Mozilla started to be stricter about GIF (resulting in gif87a often failing to render/display), with FireFox initially being more tolerant than Chrome.

The PNG group officially rejected APNG as an official extension on April 20, 2007. There have been several subsequent proposals for a simple animated graphics format based on PNG using several different approaches. Mozilla Firefox added support for APNG in version 3 trunk builds on March 23, 2007. However, because libpng is the PNG Group's reference implementation of the official specification, APNG support can never be supported in the main libpng distribution so long as it remains unratified by the Group. Some support APNG by using Mozilla's unofficial variant of libpng.

Netscape's RFC for port 465 as smtps expired back in the 90s, afterward Cisco adopted it as the "url-rendevous" service, yet major services still use port 465 for SMTP over explicit SSL. :) Never bothered to check on the APNG disposition. Shame -- it is a better format than GIF.

And with all these GB of memory, why bother to write compact, fast, and efficient code?

• 2 months later...

I like to hang out on videohelp forums. One feature I have gotten used to that I miss here is the "jump to last post" option. Videohelp also has a nice feature where you hover over the message and you get some of the text that makes up the first post, or you can also see the last post in a similar fashion. This is all from the topics list.

And regarding file attachments, I got stopped trying to upload both illustrator .ai and .eps files. So I had to zip them.

And it would be nice to have a shorter URL to get here, such as "http://atariage.com/ti99". As I was designing a nice label for Gazoo's XB2.7 Suite, I wanted to put the URL on the cart label, but it was too weird having "http://atariage.com/forums/forum/119-ti-994a-programming/".

Darryl

Darryl

• Like 1

I like to hang out on videohelp forums. One feature I have gotten used to that I miss here is the "jump to last post" option. Videohelp also has a nice feature where you hover over the message and you get some of the text that makes up the first post, or you can also see the last post in a similar fashion. This is all from the topics list.

You can do both of these here from the topics list. To get to the last post click on the date of the last post in the right column:

topics_1.jpg

If you hover over the date, you should see a tooltip:

topics_2.jpg

To see the first and last post of any given topic, move your mouse over that topic and a small down arrow icon will appear:

topics_3.jpg

Click the icon, and the first and last post will be displayed.

topics_4.jpg

And regarding file attachments, I got stopped trying to upload both illustrator .ai and .eps files. So I had to zip them.

I can easily add new file attachments.

And it would be nice to have a shorter URL to get here, such as "http://atariage.com/ti99". As I was designing a nice label for Gazoo's XB2.7 Suite, I wanted to put the URL on the cart label, but it was too weird having "http://atariage.com/forums/forum/119-ti-994a-programming/".

I could redirect ti99.atariage.com directly to this forum.

..Al

• Like 6

I seem to recall there used to be a way to view a list of all of the attachments in a thread and download them from that list. Or maybe it was another forum.... am I crazy?

Yes, there used to be a small paperclip icon next to the topic title if the topic had attachments. You could then click on the icon and a window displaying all the attachments would appear. This seems to have been removed in some revision of the software. I agree that it's a useful feature, and one that I've used myself in the past. I'm not sure why it was removed, but I will ask about it, especially since they are busy working on a major new version of the forum software right now.

..Al

• Like 2