IGNORED

CC-40 roms all dumped

acadiel

Thanks to quite a few people helping, everything we have related to CC-40 ROMs has been dumped so that MESS emulation work can commence.

The last part, the CC-40 32K BIOS (bank switched) has been dumped.

With that... I present to the community, every existing CC-40 cartridge binary + the 32K BIOS + 2K on-CPU ROM.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19597743/ti-99-4a/CC-40%20DUMPS.zip

Hap is working on the emulation in MESS. Ksarul helped with lending an ear (during a very long phone conversation). JGardner from the Vintage Computing forum helped with giving me the correct assembly to force a bank switch (and then copy to a 32K SRAM) to enable the ROM to be dumped. Lee, who just sold his entire CC-40 collection, also gave me some ROMs to compare against.

Enjoy, everyone. Let's hope Hap gets us a good CC-40 emulator going here soon :)

• Like 7

Too bad the machine had no way of saving - that was a dumb decision :-| .

I own at least three ways to save with a CC-40... (currently transitioning to someone else, but still...) You just couldn't get them from TI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5YLiarJjnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpC5MIVlvz8

• Like 1

Too bad the machine had no way of saving - that was a dumb decision :-| .

The TI 74, essentially a near clone of the CC40, had a PC interface (PCIF) that allowed saving and loading programs to and from the calculator to the PC. I have that interface and I was able to adapt it to work with the CC40. The only modification is really wiring reassignment without having to mess with the electronics. The interface also comes with several PC DOS utilities including one which allows you to convert a text file into a Basic program compatible with the TI74/CC40. This allows the use of a modern text editor for program development instead of having to program on the device itself which is cumbersome at best given the 32 character single line display.

You can still find new peripherals and cartridges for the TI74 from High Tech Solutions here http://mauriceking.ws/Accessories.htm . I purchased my TI74 stuff from them a number of years ago.

• Like 2

The TI 74, essentially a near clone of the CC40, had a PC interface (PCIF) that allowed saving and loading programs to and from the calculator to the PC. I have that interface and I was able to adapt it to work with the CC40. The only modification is really wiring reassignment without having to mess with the electronics. The interface also comes with several PC DOS utilities including one which allows you to convert a text file into a Basic program compatible with the TI74/CC40. This allows the use of a modern text editor for program development instead of having to program on the device itself which is cumbersome at best given the 32 character single line display.

You can still find new peripherals and cartridges for the TI74 from High Tech Solutions here http://mauriceking.ws/Accessories.htm . I purchased my TI74 stuff from them a number of years ago.

I hadn't heard of the TI-74 before. I see it had a hexbus interface - which begs the question: why didn't hexbus take off then? It seems to me that they must have still had intentions to continue with its development, since they used it on a product 2 years after they had pulled out of the home computer market.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an FYI, I also got the core TI-74 ROMs and sent them to another person to get a TI-74 emulator done. As everyone here probably knows, the CC-40 and TI-74 are almost identical internally.

So, we have two folks working on emulators... one for the CC-40 and one for the TI-74.

The TI-95 (this third very closely related one out of this trio) has already been emulated:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone -

First draft of the emulation by Hap has been committed to MESS:

http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/src?id=47c0a0a9927a45bfa0223e295c6eb46a9784f8e3

Notes from Hap:

"It works, but when doing some test calculations it gives a weird result sometimes. I suspect a bug in our TMS7000 core so I will look at that next. After that's done, I will improve the driver more, such as adding the cartridges."

If anyone gets it working, let me know :)

• 8 months later...

I just checked the MESS emulation of the CC40, and it needs 3 rom files:

tms70c20.bin

hn61256pc09.bin

hd44780_a00.bin

I found the first one in the zip file Acadiel provided at the top of this thread. What about the other two?

cc40.bin should be the hn61256pc09.bin.

Not sure what hd44780_a00.bin is; I've emailed the MESS developer to ask.

Well, as far as I can tell, the emulation seems to be working quite well despite the initial message from MESS stating that there was something wrong with the rom dumps. This is really fantastic! I love that little CC40 and have written several programs for it in the past. I would love to test them in MESS, but there does not seem to be a way unfortunately to load a program into the emulation.

As for carts, did any of the original CC40 carts get dumped by any chance? Running Pascal on it would be a hoot!

Well, as far as I can tell, the emulation seems to be working quite well despite the initial message from MESS stating that there was something wrong with the rom dumps. This is really fantastic! I love that little CC40 and have written several programs for it in the past. I would love to test them in MESS, but there does not seem to be a way unfortunately to load a program into the emulation.

As for carts, did any of the original CC40 carts get dumped by any chance? Running Pascal on it would be a hoot!

Yep! They should all be in that dropbox archive. Give them a try.

So I tried the Pascal cart and it does not seem to be recognized by the system. When I type run "pascal" to initialize the pascal system, I get the error that the program was not found. Has anyone here successfully run that cart by any chance?

Incidentally, MESS gives the following warning whenever the cc40 emulation is run with or without carts:

22:22:20.825: stderr[#0]: hd44780_a00.bin ROM NEEDS REDUMP

So I tried the Pascal cart and it does not seem to be recognized by the system. When I type run "pascal" to initialize the pascal system, I get the error that the program was not found. Has anyone here successfully run that cart by any chance?

Incidentally, MESS gives the following warning whenever the cc40 emulation is run with or without carts:

22:22:20.825: stderr[#0]: hd44780_a00.bin ROM NEEDS REDUMP

Maybe type 'run "pascal"' ?

I know with memo processor, it was 'run "mp"'

Not sure. Don't have a Pascal manual handy :)

Maybe type 'run "pascal"' ?.

I know with memo processor, it was 'run "mp"'

Not sure. Don't have a Pascal manual handy :)

No, it's run "pascal". I double checked with the manual just to be sure... Memo Processor does not work either by the way. I think there is something wrong with the emulation...

No, it's run "pascal". I double checked with the manual just to be sure... Memo Processor does not work either by the way. I think there is something wrong with the emulation...

Try emailing the person on the email thread that I sent to your Comcast address... he's in a better position to help since he wrote the emulation :) See if he can duplicate the issue with the cart not working. My apologies, but I'm out of town right now :)

Try emailing the person on the email thread that I sent to your Comcast address... he's in a better position to help since he wrote the emulation :) See if he can duplicate the issue with the cart not working. My apologies, but I'm out of town right now :)

No worries Jon :) You've got bigger things on your mind.

I'll contact that person and see what happens.