IGNORED

Atari 540?... Is this right?

UPDATE: I ordered the floppy emulator without case. I figured I'd try to mount it without modding the CPU case. Now that I've discovered floppy emulation, It occurred to me that maybe there's one for old Macs... to my surprise I found this...

http://www.bigmessowires.com/macintosh-floppy-emu/

Also picked one of those up... :)

You can copy ST images really easy on the ST, in fact, it's the EASIEST retro platform to transfer images to! It uses PC 720k format disks... You can transfer files to a PC disk or use a PC with real internal Floppy drive to write .ST images to a disk. (USB drives don't work with transferring ST images, only to copy files)

Edited by tjlazer

Regarding the monitor, is it common for the adjustment knobs on the bottom to completely seize and not spin at all?

With this model monitor, yes it seems that a lot of them are this way, I have one that is the same way.

Can someone give me a "talk to me like I'm stupid" play by play on how to use the SLIM HXC floppy emulator???

This is for the Atari STFM... and this is where I'm at:

Loaded SD card with the "Floppy Emulator Manager" software and was able to get that to work. From there, I am lost. I don't know how bring up game files. I can select files into drive A or B, but from there... It only seems to allow me to reboot or save and reboot... but when I do it, it just reboots to the emulator manager screen. I wish I bought the one with the LCD screen and buttons. :(

Also, the game files I have are .st files, for example Outrun.st ... are these wrong?

Edited by 7800

Ok... Figured out that the files needed to be converted to .hfe files.

New problem... when I do load a game, I don't know how to stop it... or go back to the emulator manager. So I turn of the unit. When I turn it back on, it plays the last game loaded instead of going straight to the emulator manager. Is there a way to turn off this feature?

Edited by 7800

So I think I solved the reset issue... hold the button down on the emulator while pressing reset seems to do the trick, most of the time.

Some games don't seem to have sound now... is there a way to toggle the sound?

I'm just wondering - is this an STFM or an STF? All the STFMs and STEs I've seen have had the small eject button. Doesn't look to me from the picture that there's room for the 'M' on the label.

Would explain the inclusion of a monitor. The STF literally means ST with built-in Floppy drive. STFM is an ST with [F]loppy drive and [M]odulator, so it can be hooked up to a TV. The STFM is most commonly available without a monitor. Not always, of course, since people do prefer the sharper image a monitor will give you.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

I don't have an HxC, but if it is emulating an auto-booting game in drive A, there should be no way to do anything but load that game on reset. To avoid auto loading a game, put a different disk in drive A.

With the Atari ST, the only way to 'stop' a running commercial game was to reset the machine. Although some games (and demos viruses) hooked into the reset button, and you have to cycle the power to get rid of them.

PD games that you run from the desktop are more likely to have included a 'quit' feature, but with an auto-booting commercial game there is nothing to 'quit' to- the OS hasn't been initialized.

Edited by galax

I'm just wondering - is this an STFM or an STF? All the STFMs and STEs I've seen have had the small eject button. Doesn't look to me from the picture that there's room for the 'M' on the label.

Would explain the inclusion of a monitor. The STF literally means ST with built-in Floppy drive. STFM is an ST with [F]loppy drive and [M]odulator, so it can be hooked up to a TV. The STFM is most commonly available without a monitor. Not always, of course, since people do prefer the sharper image a monitor will give you.

It's an STFM... I removed the original floppy drive and installed the HxC emulator.

I don't have an HxC, but if it is emulating an auto-booting game in drive A, there should be no way to do anything but load that game on reset. To avoid auto loading a game, put a different disk in drive A.

With the Atari ST, the only way to 'stop' a running commercial game was to reset the machine. Although some games (and demos viruses) hooked into the reset button, and you have to cycle the power to get rid of them.

PD games that you run from the desktop are more likely to have included a 'quit' feature, but with an auto-booting commercial game there is nothing to 'quit' to- the OS hasn't been initialized.

So far, the reset trick with holding down the emulator button and pressing the STFM's reset button is working... brings me right back to the manager screen.

Now if I can only figure out the sound issue. Some games have sound at startup, some don't.

I discovered that I needed a power supply cable extension... managed to find one online and ordered it. Going to wait until I get it to play with it some more.

I was thinking that maybe some of the games that I tried that have no sound are not fully compatible with the STFM. One game for example, ALTERED BEAST has no sound at all.

Craigslist is definitely hit or miss. I check my local area everyday and very seldomly see anything. I did see a heavy sixer for sale a few months ago for a steal, but someone beat me to it. :)