IGNORED

Question about homebrews

Bixler

Many ColecoVision homebrews look incredible. Unfortunately, I only just ordered a ColecoVision. Since I'm late to the party, if I want some of these earlier homebrews like Space Invaders/Pac-Man Collection, am I shit out of luck, since these games have very limited runs?

For future releases, should I just keep a hawk eye on the forums here, to be sure I don't miss out?

Thank you.

Edited by Bixler

If you want to save yourself a lot of time, money and effort in tracking down these Homebrew CIB releases, then your best bet is the purchase of the AtariMax Ultimate SD MultiCart by Steve Tucker. If you purchase this MultiCart, all you have to do then is to download the rom image files that have been released by their publishers/creators and copy them onto the SD Card. Their have been numerous rom image files released by CollectorVision, Team Pixelboy, Opcode Games, NewColeco, etc., etc., on their respective websites or here on AtariAge, but note that some games have not seen and will never see such a rom release, so the only way to acquire/play them would be to hunt down the CIB release... and some of them are near impossible to find/acquire. For instance, the rom image for Ghost'N Zombies will probably never be made freely available by it's author and the CIB release is rarely sold by someone that owns it (usually $300-$600 is the going rate depending on the seller).

I don't mean to scare you off as the CV is a great system to collect for and the Homebrew Scene is nothing short of incredible. It's just for all newcomers, it can be a little frustrating seeing all these great releases from the past that are no longer available not to mention how much it might cost to acquire them in CIB form.

Good news is that of late, CollectorVision and Team Pixelboy are making additional runs of games from time to time.

Definetely keep an eagle eye on this Forum for information provided by the publishers about each and every release... as well as their websites.

• Like 2

If you want to save yourself a lot of time, money and effort in tracking down these Homebrew CIB releases, then your best bet is the purchase of the AtariMax Ultimate SD MultiCart by Steve Tucker. If you purchase this MultiCart, all you have to do then is to download the rom image files that have been released by their publishers/creators and copy them onto the SD Card. Their have been numerous rom image files released by CollectorVision, Team Pixelboy, Opcode Games, NewColeco, etc., etc., on their respective websites or here on AtariAge, but note that some games have not seen and will never see such a rom release, so the only way to acquire/play them would be to hunt down the CIB release... and some of them are near impossible to find/acquire. For instance, the rom image for Ghost'N Zombies will probably never be made freely available by it's author and the CIB release is rarely sold by someone that owns it (usually $300-$600 is the going rate depending on the seller).

I don't mean to scare you off as the CV is a great system to collect for and the Homebrew Scene is nothing short of incredible. It's just for all newcomers, it can be a little frustrating seeing all these great releases from the past that are no longer available not to mention how much it might cost to acquire them in CIB form.

Good news is that of late, CollectorVision and Team Pixelboy are making additional runs of games from time to time.

Definetely keep an eagle eye on this Forum for information provided by the publishers about each and every release... as well as their websites.

I'll keep looking but I have yet to see any rom image files on their websites so I'll dig around here. One game that I truly hate missing out on is Pitfall II Arcade from Pixelboy. :mad:

Edit:

I found what you were talking about Jim http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220081-team-pixelboy-news-bulletin-december-25th-2013/

Thank you and big thanks to Luc. While I would love to have the real set, at least I can play the game until I find one not priced at $500 on ebay :P

Edited by rey_1178
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for the links; should I assume those are the final versions? I cannot wait to support the homebrew community with future releases and for re-releases of titles that I'll be downloading on ROM for now.

I suppose I should place an order in the thread for a re-release of Mario Bros! Love that game. Hope some copies are still available...

Edited by Bixler

From what I have gathered it functions similarly to the upcoming Atari 7800 XM in that it allows for greater memory usage on the ColecoVision, and that specific games are being released for it that take advantage of it. It is absolutely something I am interested in picking up for the future, but I want to research the availability of titles for it before taking the plunge. Not to mention gather the funds, hehe.

Edited by Bixler

From what I have gathered it functions similarly to the upcoming Atari 7800 XM in that it allows for greater memory usage on the ColecoVision, and that specific games are being released for it that take advantage of it. It is absolutely something I am interested in picking up for the future, but I want to research the availability of titles for it before taking the plunge. Not to mention gather the funds, hehe.

Well, what I can tell you is that, aside from Rollerball which was published by CollectorVision, Team Pixelboy published all the SGM games up until now.

I'm waiting for Eduardo Mello to return and get the ball rolling with the production and shipping of the second run of Super Game Modules, which is supposed to happen some time this summer, or perhaps later this year if he can't get everything done and ready by the end of August. Once the second run of SGMs has been shipped to those who placed a pre-order, I will likely receive new orders for SGM games, and I will manufacture new copies of all the SGM games to cover this new demand.

I'm not sure I can recommend pre-ordering a SGM right now, however. Eduardo has been M.I.A. (again) since April 23rd, and he is not replying to my e-mails. When he will be back is anyone's guess.

• Like 2