IGNORED

Hooking up to a new lcd tv

What's problem did you encounter? In my case, the signal had a recurring spike that caused the picture to blink about three times a second, with a loud "CRACK" sound every time. It seemed to be a signal strength problem. I tried using an RF amplifier, but it didn't work. I fixed it eventually by passing the signal through an old VCR.

-dZ.

I wonder if newer TVs don't have any analog RF circuitry in them any more?

I've never had any real trouble using a simple RCA F to coax adapter on an ANT input to my 2010 LG LED TV. Been awhile since I've used that setup as I prefer the 'softness' of the old analog TV...

Perhaps sharing the model number / brand of the TV could help us troubleshoot from afar. ;)

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 1

More likely you have to go into the TV's menu to select which coax input is active. Typically, 2 coax inputs are used for things like PinP viewing. Prolly don't want to play Intellivision in the PinP picture. ;)

My old analog set has two coax inputs. I have one for the VCR and another for consoles. When I forget that it was switched to 'ANT1' to watch a tape (yeah, I'm a mean, cheapo luddite and still force the kiddos to watch a couple things on tape instead of buying the damned movie AGAIN!), sometimes I panic when sitting down for a round of Intellivision and get only static on the screen. :P

I wish TVs still had PIP or a split-screen view like I can get with the DirecTV genie box...then there could finally be harmony in my parent's house...Dad could watch his old movies on the left side over the antenna...my brother could play Xbox on the right side. The only fight would be over sound rights....

Anyways...if you want the best picture out of the intellivision, try to use the adapter that will change the coax socket in the intellivision to a screw-in coax...so you can use the thickest, nicest coax cable you can find. I get a great picture on my LCD with that.

One of my earlier LCD TV didn't like Atari 2600 or 7800. If I tuned to channel before I turned on the system, there would be a flash then it'd remain "no signal" but if I turn on the system first then TV usually locks on and sticks with it.

Rules have changed a bit over time and digital TV are a bit more touchy. Older devices were allowed to be more lax and more noisy and still be legal with FCC regulations.