IGNORED

I got a proto ColecoVision console

Yurkie

Serial # label on the bottom is P0000189, motherboard is Rev A. I was talking to a friend and he thought like me that The P in the serial stands for prototype. I have modded/repaired/sold hundreds of consoles and never seen a serial number like this. Here is a pic of the bottom label.

post-23318-0-92048500-1403322648_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Congrats on the incredible pickup! That is truly awesome and I couldn't think of a better person to come across this little gem... especially depending on it's condition after all these years. If a WizMath CIB sells for $1,100 (a game that was released in quantity in retail outlets), I couldn't even begin to imagine what the value of this prototype system is worth! :-o

So, does the system work and are there any noticeable difference on the inside as well as the outside?

I asked the seller if they had any information about the system and they told me it was bought from a guy in Fonday, NY which is only 10 miles west of Amsterdam, NY where ColecoVisions where made.

Unit had some serious graphics issues, fortuntely I was able to replace 1 DRAM and the VDP and it is working fantastic.

I will post some pictures later.

The biggest thrill for me is getting these ColecoVisions working. I am not a prototype collector, so if someone wants to make me an offer to buy this console feel free to shoot me a pm.

*edit I accidentally put a y on the city it should be Fonda, NY

Edited by Yurkie
  • Like 1

Here are some more pictures.

You can see some extra components and a couple jumper wires that where added to the system. Also the Rev A on the motherboard. Case pictures showing me holding the 2 halves, case and labels are in pretty good condition. Picture of the "insert cart" screen, and Donkey Kong.

post-23318-0-65964600-1403366915_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-50094600-1403366954_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-95712500-1403366997_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-12445300-1403367035_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-15319700-1403367064_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-98473000-1403367088_thumb.jpg

post-23318-0-97385200-1403367113_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the BIOS EPROM. It is a 24 pin EPROM in a 28 pin socket.

I would be interested in the contents of the BIOS ROM, just for software archaeology purposes (i.e., is it identical to the shipped OS7PRIME or not).

*Dr. D.*

I would be interested in the contents of the BIOS ROM, just for software archaeology purposes (i.e., is it identical to the shipped OS7PRIME or not).

*Dr. D.*

I don't have an adapter to dump it.

Is it odd that a prototype would have had an FCC sticker attached?

This unit, like the other known unit (Serial # P0000162), were probably made available to Coleco employees and they probably would have all been contained in the Purple box with the Prototype Hand Controllers with Speed Roller pictured. Unfortunately, the standard Hand Controller was probably included with these systems otherwise we would have seen a lot more of the Prototype Hand Controllers out there in the wild over the years. So with the systems given or sold to employees, they would have to have been certified/approved for consumer use.

In both cases, the system has changed hands from it's original owner (at least once), so to get further information about them is extremely hard.

It's not a prototype, but a Pre-Production unit

This was supposed to be the final model until Coleco decided to makes some last minute changes

So does the " P " that starts the serial # stand for Prototype or Pre-Production? ;)

My thinking is that it should still be considered a Prototype especially considering the numerous differences that Yurkie has highlighted, but indeed it is as near to production run ready as it gets and not in the same class as the other CV prototype systems that we only have pictures of.

This unit, like the other known unit (Serial # P0000162), were probably made available to Coleco employees and they probably would have all been contained in the Purple box with the Prototype Hand Controllers with Speed Roller pictured. Unfortunately, the standard Hand Controller was probably included with these systems otherwise we would have seen a lot more of the Prototype Hand Controllers out there in the wild over the years. So with the systems given or sold to employees, they would have to have been certified/approved for consumer use.

In both cases, the system has changed hands from it's original owner (at least once), so to get further information about them is extremely hard.

So does the " P " that starts the serial # stand for Prototype or Pre-Production? ;)

My thinking is that it should still be considered a Prototype especially considering the numerous differences that Yurkie has highlighted, but indeed it is as near to production run ready as it gets and not in the same class as the other CV prototype systems that we only have pictures of.

more or so , the prototypes were a way different than the pre-production or retail system

I consider it a Pre-Production system since the reason why it was not release is only because Coleco choose to remove the speed roller on controller (obviously, for marketing purpose)

It's not a prototype, but a Pre-Production unit

This was supposed to be the final model until Coleco decided to makes some last minute changes

Do you have any documentation about prototypes or pre-production? You said the purple box system was a prototype back when you bought it, and this system is the same...I am wondering what changed?

Do you have any documentation about prototypes or pre-production? You said the purple box system was a prototype back when you bought it, and this system is the same...I am wondering what changed?

Simply facts

I'm not saying I'm ABSOLUTELY right you know ...

Just sharing my opinion about the whole thing

There's 4 prototype systems before this Pre-Production system

These 4 protos are way different (well, the 4th one is very similar to the final retail release)

The first proto was sold to Mattel and eventullay became the INtv

Edited by retroillucid

Prototype system is sold.

I encouraged the buyer to post here so that there is a chain of custody. If he chooses post I will verify he is the buyer, if not I will respect his privacy/anonymity.

I am sending the buyer a print out of the question and answer from the ebay buyer I got the system from with a hand written note from me on the back.

My question to the seller was:

Just curious if you know the story of where this ColecoVision console came from.

I have been repairing and modifying the ColecoVision for about 4 years and have had hundreds of consoles. The one I got from you is very interesting it had an EPROM for the BIOS chip, the motherboard is Revision A...which I had never seen. And the serial # on the label is P0000189.

I think it might have been an early prototype .

Anyway I am very glad I bought this from you and if you have any info to share on it's origin it will be greatly appreciated.

Response was:

I bought in Fonda Ny near Amsterdam where Colecovision were made, the guy did not know much about it.

Edited by Yurkie

Nice!

Rev started a ColecoVision serial number database on his own site, but I don't know if it's still going.

Yes, I started one on ColecovisionRevolution.com.

But Intellivision takes all my time up, I let the URL for that site go. The site and all the serial numbers are not lost.

Siliconetoad was going to utilize any info from that site and try to get his own CV site up and running.

This would make a great edition to the database!

Maybe siliconetoad can chime in if he sees this message about the progress of his new site. :)

EDIT: I just did a search, it looks like some domain name squatter bought the name, from Poland?

Kiss the chances of anyone getting the name back! LOL

http://domain-kb.com/www/colecovisionrevolution.com

Edited by revolutionika