IGNORED

Philips is suing Nintendo

from CDi forum:

Interesting news articles popped up today saying Philips is suing Nintendo. IGN reports: "Technology company Philips has allegedly filed a complaint against Nintendo stating that the latter has infringed on two Philips patents in the U.S., according to a document on Scribd."

Interesting links to follow:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819079
http://www.vg247.com/2014/05/15/gushing ... s-lawsuit/

Apparently Nintendo is using two Philips patents in its Wii technology. Nintendo is possibly infringing on two Philips patents. One of the patents has possibly deliberately been infringed by Nintendo. Nintendo has been aware of one of the patents, according to Philips, but has refused to take a license and continued violating it. One of the patents clearly states that the technology can be used for games. The second patent mentions a wireless device that can be controlled via a secondary device through motion input, according to NeoGAF

As one of the patents is already claimed in 1996, it's interesting to debate how this was originally be planned for the CD-i 2, the follow-up to the CD-i that never came.

Go for it Philips, sue the fuck out of Nintendo

If i'm correct the technologie to calculate the remotes position relative to the tv is used for the sensorbar/wiimote. It's the same airmouse technologie Philips used in it's lightgun. It's the only lightgun of it era that can be used on a lcd tv.

Did anything come of this? Both linked articles were form mid MAY.

I read an article yesterday saying Philips won one of their cases in a European county, I am not sure which though. It is still to be seen what the outcome will be in the US.

• Like 1

A patent is a patent, and this is hardly the first time Nintendo has infringed on another company's patents.

When I was a kid I loved Nintendo's systems and their games, then when I got older I started learning about Nintendo the company and while I still love Nintendo games, Nintendo does do some shady stuff business wise from time to time.

I for one am glad Philips is suing Nintendo, it's not like Nintendo doesn't have the money to pay licensing fees for the technology they put in their systems, they're just being shady again like back in the 80s and 90s when they maintained a stranglehold over the US market with their prohibitive licensing agreements and pressuring stores not to carry competitor's products.

• Like 1

That's all well and good, but really what took Phillips so long to bring the lawsuit if the patent in question is about the wii sensor bar? How long has that been around now and they're only now deciding to force Nintendo to cough up some cash? The Wii wasn't some obscure little toy that barely sold.

• Like 1

That's all well and good, but really what took Phillips so long to bring the lawsuit if the patent in question is about the wii sensor bar? How long has that been around now and they're only now deciding to force Nintendo to cough up some cash? The Wii wasn't some obscure little toy that barely sold.

Exactly i.e. patent trolling.

Exactly i.e. patent trolling.

Patent trolling is when one entity sues another while having a vague or nearly non-existent basis in doing so. The goal of these patent trolls isn't to win in court, but to scare the receiving party into settling outside of court. Many parties are suckered into doing so. However, the ones that stand up to them generally come out on top (read the semi-recent case about Newegg smashing a patent troll).

As much as I hate to say it, Philips has every right to be doing this. They are not patent trolling--they are protecting what is rightfully theirs.

Phillips said it warned Nintendo about it around 2011 for the Wii but it got ignored? I bet they are still pissed that Nintendo partnership in the 90's never went anywhere other than Phillips having the rights to make their own Nintendo games for a short time. That went nowhere. :P

I personally think their secret goal is to try and get royalties off Nintendo, not stop them from selling Wii's or Wii U's. Imagine the additional revenue this could make for Phillips. If it's deserved then more power to them but right now it smells a little fishy leechy to me.

I personally think their secret goal is to try and get royalties off Nintendo, not stop them from selling Wii's or Wii U's. Imagine the additional revenue this could make for Phillips. If it's deserved then more power to them but right now it smells a little fishy leechy to me.

It is, but on the same note, they are entitled to it. And to be fair, it's not like Nintendo is doing much different right now in certain cases, although I suppose technically they are entitled to as well (*cough* taking YouTube content creators' money without their consent *cough*).

It is, but on the same note, they are entitled to it. And to be fair, it's not like Nintendo is doing much different right now in certain cases, although I suppose technically they are entitled to as well (*cough* taking YouTube content creators' money without their consent *cough*).

If its true and Phillips pull this off I tip my hat to them and retract my leechy comments.

Oh yeah the Youtube thing....I forgot about that.....

Most of you guys are betting on the wrong pony here. What has Philips given the world game-wise? There's been the Odyssey2 (a mediocre console at best) and the CD-i (ditto). Now I realize there's a lot of hard feelings here over Nintendo thrashing Atari in the console wars of the late 1980s, but to side with PHILIPS of all people is just silly.

• Like 1

Most of you guys are betting on the wrong pony here. What has Philips given the world game-wise? There's been the Odyssey2 (a mediocre console at best) and the CD-i (ditto). Now I realize there's a lot of hard feelings here over Nintendo thrashing Atari in the console wars of the late 1980s, but to side with PHILIPS of all people is just silly.

Nintendo is using technology in their products that Philips holds the patent on, Nintendo has apparently ignored Philips requests that Nintendo pay licensing fees to sell technology based on said patent, Philips is now suing Nintendo after making attempts to handle this out of court and being ignored, I don't really see how this is a matter of bias or which company has given the world what.

It seems pretty cut and dry that Nintendo was up to some shady business practices, again, and once again they are being sued over it.

Edited by mipaol
  • Like 2

lol Totally NOT the point, I could care less WHO the other company involved is, wrong is wrong and if Nintendo is in the wrong they need to be held accountable. I could not careless, even as a Nintendo FAN, what they have contributed to gaming, only a fanboy would side with them for such stupid reasons.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 3